PDA

View Full Version : Dad to the rescue.....

PaulStewart
30-06-2014, 01:08
My son Graham got married yesterday to my new daughter in law. Stephanie. ;) Everything was planned and then at the last minute, well on Tuesday night, the DJ announces he wants paying £400 up front and refuses to sign a contract so if he didn't turn up they had no come back. :steam: Graham is more sensible than that and told him to go whistle. So late Tuesday I get a call, "Dad can you help"? Luckily about 15 tears ago he was DJing and I built him a pair of speakers using some old Martin Audio cases, a Renkus-Heinz compression horn and a pair of fabulous ATC 12" bass units. Out of our store room I got an Allen & Heath 1221 mixer, a set of Sennheiser radio mics and out of one of our edit suites I grabbed a Yamaha 2075 power amp. His best man who works sorting out music idents for companies sorted out a six hour playlist, brides walk in music (Beatles - Something) and the first dance (When a man loves a woman - Percy Sledge) all on a mac book pro.

A second macbook and a web cam were needed as Steph's parents and family could not get over from Vancouver, so by using Skype and a web cam also plugged into the desk, not only could they follow the ceremony, but her dad could give his brides father's speech to the guest's in London. Several people complimented us on the quality of the sound and how well it all worked. Graham is a senior IT consultant so he did that bit, dad did the sound and set up 4 static TV cameras, in case of a data drop out. It all worked, the day went really well.... Great day :)

Andrei
30-06-2014, 01:34
Nice story! £400 up front - No way Jose!

Macca
30-06-2014, 07:40
Good stuff - what a wanker that DJ must be - I bet he's gutted that he lost the gig. Just shows with a bit of know how and the right equipment you can do it yourself and not be held hostage by the rip-off merchants.

cuddles
30-06-2014, 07:44
What a great story!

Firebottle
30-06-2014, 07:44
Excellent tale Paul. Congrats to the newlyweds.

:cool: Alan

PaulStewart
30-06-2014, 12:59
Congrats to the newlyweds. :cool: Alan

Thanks Alan,

Just got to move the kit back now, oh my aching back ;)

Clive
30-06-2014, 13:29
Well saved Paul! Give your back and yourself a rest. The 78 and microgroove fluid can wait (I'm in no rush for it anyway....whenever you've recovered).

MikeMusic
30-06-2014, 14:17
Well done Paul

Good news

Beobloke
30-06-2014, 15:46
Sorry, bit confused - read it three times and can still see no mention of the turntables you used...

;)

PaulStewart
30-06-2014, 18:39
Sorry, bit confused - read it three times and can still see no mention of the turntables you used... ;)

Adam, I did have a pair of ex-BBC Garrard 401s with Acos Lustre arms and m44-7s which we built into a DJ console foe him when I was at Loricraft.... But I hadn't DJ'd for 20 years so we did it on the Mac :) Come our next anniversary party however :lol:

Beobloke
30-06-2014, 18:49
Pah! MP3J-ing - not the real thing at all!! ( but I'm glad it all went well!)

PaulStewart
30-06-2014, 20:14
:laugh:
Pah! MP3J-ing - not the real thing at all!! ( but I'm glad it all went well!)

All ALAC, FLAC, WAV and AAC, not an MP3 in sight :)

Techno Commander
30-06-2014, 20:56
Nicely done Sir. :)