PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 151: 25/06/2014: Eva Cassidy - Songbird (1998)

Album Club
25-06-2014, 17:05
This week, we've an album from Dan(theman91)
Strictly speaking it's a compilation and shouldn't be allowed, but we'll let it through.

Eva Cassidy - Songbird. (1998)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tm625Qi1L.jpg

The album isn't available on Spotify but it can be found as a playlist on YouTube and there's the opportunity to use Grooveshark as well (both linked to below).

7y1QZuYsZEw&list=PL2m9_5G8Mry-rkGV8VLP1t9_4uQWIk4FK

The Album on Grooveshark: 'Songbird' (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Songbird/169466)

Album Wikipage: Songbird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songbird_(Eva_Cassidy_album))

CD or Vinyl i prefer the audiophile vinyl version.

This album for me is one of my all time top 10 with its stunning performance and production
if this album does not send a chill down you spine you either don't like music very much or don't realize her
talent. This album has a couple of covers on it but thats fine i think there better than the originals
it was released in 1998 2 years after her death i do have all her album including live at the blues alley
thats also one for any audio enthusiast. Give it a try if you never heard of it my rating is a simple 10/10
It made number 1 in the UK album charts when released when i listen to this album it does send give me an emotional feeling quite sad but again quite good.
Track Listing
1. "Fields of Gold"
2. "Wade in the Water"
3. "Autumn Leaves"
4. "Wayfaring Stranger"
5. "Songbird"
6. "Time Is a Healer"
7. "I Know You By Heart"
8. "People Get Ready"
9. "Oh, Had I a Golden Thread"
10. "Over the Rainbow"
Personnel Musicians / Performers
Eva Cassidy - Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals,Production
Chris Biondo - Bass, Guitar
Dan Cassidy - Violin
Hilton Felton - Organ
John Gillespie - Organ
Keith Grimes - Guitar
Raice McLeod - Drums
Larry Melton - Upright Bass
Chris Walker - Trumpet
Lenny Williams - Piano
Kent Wood - Organ

Barry
25-06-2014, 21:33
As an appreciator of the (sadly) late Eva Cassidy's work and possessor of several of her CDs, I'm going to cheat by giving it 9/10 without actually listening to the compilation album.

Tim
26-06-2014, 06:31
As an appreciator of the (sadly) late Eva Cassidy's work and possessor of several of her CDs, I'm going to cheat by giving it 9/10 without actually listening to the compilation album.
What he said . . . 9/10 (but I'll spin it in a mo anyway). I have 6 Eva Cassidy albums (7 with the double-up) and they are all superb, but this is a firm favourite and actually the first EC album I bought. I really like her Live at Blues Alley album, but they are all good.

I actually have two copies of this album, so if anyone wants an 'as new' condition Songbird CD let me know?

Audio Al
26-06-2014, 08:32
:wow:

As the younger generation would say OMG

Eva Cassidy is a artist that I have missed , never listened to any of her work

My god the girl could sing , Amazing vocal ability

9 out of 10 from me , only because I don't think anyone can be perfect

Thanks for posting this one Dan

Now on my lookout list for albums :)

dantheman91
26-06-2014, 10:35
:)

I have her full back catalog and i think that if you like this you should by "Live At The Blues Alley".

I did not realize it was my turn on the club but glad to list her as Eva is NOT one to be missed though glad that some of you guys gave it ago and indeed liked it for a change on the club though i'm sure other critics will be along shorty :).

high.spirits
27-06-2014, 18:39
It's such a shame she was acclaimed after her death. A great album.

Good choice 9/10. :)

mr sneff
28-06-2014, 19:15
I knew the name, but I'd not actually heard Eva Cassidy before. It's 7/10 from me, a couple of tracks I didn't enjoy, Time is a healer and Oh, I had a golden thread - not so keen on her voice when she starts to belt it out, undeniably powerful, but that kind of gospel sound just isn't for me. Not over keen on the Somewhere over the rainbow arrangement either. Favourite track, Wade in the water. I might slip a couple of tracks into a playlist but probably wouldn't sit through the whole album again, overall a bit too MOR for my tastes.

Tarzan
29-06-2014, 23:14
It's such a shame she was acclaimed after her death. A great album.

Good choice 9/10. :)

"Wayfearing stranger " one of my all time favourite songs, a very solid 10/10 for this album, a crystalline voice as l have ever heard.

Audio Al
30-06-2014, 11:14
"Wayfearing stranger " one of my all time favourite songs, a very solid 10/10 for this album, a crystalline voice as l have ever heard.

Why you no vote then ? Mr Tarzan

Bazil
30-07-2014, 18:31
I remember the media acclaiming the great singer that was lost before she was really known.
This is my first exposure to Eva and yes she the most beautiful voice , 10/10 for that.
Now the album , actually I'll leave it there don't want to upset anybody 2/10, not sure what the 2 is for but hey ho.

synsei
30-07-2014, 19:09
For me this album is perfect... Nothing much more to say really other than I am gobsmacked this hasn't featured in Album Club before, so a big thank you to Dan for rectifying that ;)

dantheman91
30-07-2014, 20:58
For me this album is perfect... Nothing much more to say really other than I am gobsmacked this hasn't featured in Album Club before, so a big thank you to Dan for rectifying that ;)

Hi Dave

You back then not seen you here for a good while .
The album sounds even better on vinyl if you can find it i did luckily it was only a £10

synsei
30-07-2014, 21:32
I don't have the means to play vinyl just now Dan... :( The album did sound exceptionally good streamed from Grooveshark however as did a couple of her other albums :)

Canetoad
06-11-2014, 03:26
I haven't heard Eva Cassidy before either. I listened to this album and liked it a lot! I find myself playing it over and over. 9/10 for me!