PDA

View Full Version : Electrolytic upgrade to DAC

brucew268
24-06-2014, 12:15
After running across one of Simon's posts at PFM about replacing the PSU input cap in his M2Tech Young DAC, I decided to have a look at my Calyx 24/192... found a Samwha electrolytic in there and replaced it with a Panasonic FC. This quickly gave fuller mids and lower mids which were better fleshed out and textured, and area where I had been struggling with a little thin and hard sound, exacerbated by most tweaks I had been trying lately. This might delay or even cancel some of my other tweaks and upgrade plans. Interesting that it took so long before I focused on the DAC's voltage regs.

awkwardbydesign
24-06-2014, 15:15
The problem with being able to modify equipment internally is that there is no end to it! I speak from experience. :wheniwasaboy:

brucew268
24-06-2014, 16:00
Another problem is that when one is in the mode of tweaking, upgrading, and generally improving the SQ, some changes are immediately noticed, whilst others can creep in unawares. Then you get three changes further on and suddenly notice that something is not as it should be. Then you have to discern :confused: whether it is a result of the last change or two, or crept in some time back and you are just now noticing it.

In my case I think it was that a change to xover caps a few years ago moved the mids slightly leaner, but not becoming a problem. Then the change in DACS again moved things slightly leaner; then a change to the preamp PSU cleaned things up a bit, which shows a bit more of the leanness already there. Then some power conditioning moved things that way again, now becoming apparent and unacceptable :eek:. So out go two of the last four changes. And then realise there is a bit of the leanness that pre-existed. The cap change on the DAC happens to be the easiest change (except for the infernal solder they used with a hotter than hell melting point) so I tried that and am happy... for now.

...Of course I'm still investigating cleaner power in the house. :nocomment:

DSJR
24-06-2014, 19:25
It's a fuggin' STEREO FFS :lol: Just replace those godawful Pro-Ac stingers with something better balanced and lo and behold, you won't find the need to chop and change caps and other stuff any more......

Gazjam
04-07-2014, 12:57
Did the cap swap mod in my own Young Dac (with Simon's help) and it really made an improvment.