PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Avi ADM9-9.1

pzblues
22-06-2014, 10:04
Hi, i'm looking at getting into active speaker setup and fancy trying the ADM9's or DM5's, anyone got some to sell? Let me know

Thanks
pz

kininigin
22-06-2014, 13:14
Hi Karen,

You may be better off trying the Avi forum! I don't think i've ever seen anyone on this forum who has had a pair!

DSJR
22-06-2014, 16:31
The AVI forum is indeed the best place to go and used ones sourced there should be meticulously cared for I think. Also, to add that the later the pair you can get (of ADM9's) the better (in our terms) the sound will be. Despite the claims that the original 9's were better than anything else out there including big ATC's, the feelings of Hifi people who heard the early ones were that they sounded 'nice' in a non-complimentary way and lacking in bass drive. AVI have done HUGE work on them as time's gone on to update almost every internal part and they're currently on their third set of drivers I understand, as well as numerous smallish tweaks to the electronics over the years. The current ones are supposed to be much better indeed (way increased 3-D quality I understand) and very good for a top quality room-friendly speaker system.

The little DM5 looks expensive for what it is, but they do offer good wood veneer finishes and look very smart. I haven't heard or compared them to the far eastern 'black/grey plastic' actives of similar size costing loads less, but it's been suggested that active or not, these imported cheapies can sound a bit rough and ragged. Users on the AVI forum love the DM5's to bits though so they do seem to be something of another success story for the brand. Forum member Phil Bishop (also sometimes posts here) had some Rosewood DM5's to sell and he does look after his stuff (he's decided to consolidate around new-spec ADM9's).

pzblues
22-06-2014, 20:23
Thanks, it was on AVI forum where i was introduced to these active speakers which came highly recommended, no used ones on there unfortunately so i thought i would have a look around elsewhere for a used pair as they are quite expensive new (for me anyway) if i don't find any i may have to save more money and buy new.

pz