PDA

View Full Version : Phono Amp or not?

rascal6000
16-06-2014, 22:15
Hi, first post I think!

I am about to buy my first turntable for a number of years; I am currently using my Dad's Fully Automatic Direct Drive Denon played through a Teac Reference amp with a phono stage.

I don't know if this is a can of worms or a straightforward question to answer, but if I was spending £400 would I be better off spending it all on a turntable and cartridge, or splitting the funds between a cheaper (£300?) TT and Phono Amp?

I'm very happy with the sound I have currently from my sources, amp and speakers. TTs considered are Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Essential or Esprit, Rega RP1 with performance pack....?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Russell

The Grand Wazoo
16-06-2014, 22:29
No, this (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31888-Oldie-Newbie&p=541529#post541529) is your first post!
...but hello again!

I think we need some model numbers of the gear you are currently using in order to answer your question properly.

PaulStewart
16-06-2014, 22:51
Hi Russell,

What amp are you going to be plugging the new TT into? If you are using the TEAC and it's something like an A300 Reference the phono side of that is not at all bad. If you don't have a phono input on the amp, then look to something like the Hagerman Bugle 2. I've just been testing one and I'm really impressed. This is about £110 at the moment with the pound high against the dollar and can be ordered from the Hagerman website with free world wide shipping. It's really good for the money.

I know this will upset people here but I find the Regas to be bland, I would look at a Pro-ject Debut in preference, but the best "Bang for your Buck" will be to look at something better from the second hand market.

Best of luck

guy
18-06-2014, 18:44
Many years ago I was very impressed by this deck:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Systemdeck-IIX-Beltdrive-Turntable-Ortofon-Cartridge-Fully-Boxed-11X-/121360833866?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item1c41ab5d4a

could be a good buy, definitely better than the rega planar 1 or 2 at the time in my opinion.