PDA

View Full Version : Beatles - In Mono

daytona600
16-06-2014, 20:21
At Last all analogue
Beatles - In Mono - No dynamic compression and minimal equalization will hopefully produce the best ever sounding Beatles reissues

180g 14LP Box Set Out 8th Sept
full story below

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-get-back-mono-and-aaa-vinyl

The Black Adder
16-06-2014, 20:40
Very interesting indeed... love it. Many thanks for posting this.

I wonder how much the set will be, do you have any idea?

johnB
16-06-2014, 20:47
Currently $409 on Amazon US for pre-order

Jimbo
16-06-2014, 21:03
Just read this article by Michael Fremer. Amazing stuff.

daytona600
16-06-2014, 23:31
Very interesting indeed... love it. Many thanks for posting this.

I wonder how much the set will be, do you have any idea?

£299 for the box & £19 for the single LPs ( link below Joe )

Wakefield Turntables
17-06-2014, 08:44
Goto amazon.com and order,you pay in dollars and get a good exchange rate, I've just paid £244 including delivery.;)

loo
17-06-2014, 09:21
Goto amazon.com and order,you pay in dollars and get a good exchange rate, I've just paid £244 including delivery.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZp4yqHT6A

Clive
17-06-2014, 09:48
I expect when they say mono they mean the two channels are identical, ie they will not be cut as mono records.

The Black Adder
17-06-2014, 11:03
I expect when they say mono they mean the two channels are identical, ie they will not be cut as mono records.

Hmm.. didn't think of that. I expect so but you never know.

Tarzan
17-06-2014, 19:07
WoW!!! very tempting l must say.:stalks::eek:

walpurgis
17-06-2014, 19:29

Surely mono will be one channel. I reckon there are still a few mono cutters about and possibly used for new (re) releases. Also, is the result not a mono cut if a stereo cutter is used with both channels transcribing the same signal?

daytona600
17-06-2014, 20:09

Ortofon Announces 2M Mono Special Edition "Beatles Tribute" Cartridge

June 17th, 2014—Ortofon today announced the development of the 2M MONO SE cartridge intended as a "tribute" to the upcoming Beatles mono box set.
"The White cartridge" is not otherwise known as "The Beatles", nor does is the stylus a "top loader", nor are there any Beatles or Apple Corp logos on the cartridge—probably due to hesitancy on the part of one or both parties to get involved in a costly and time consuming licensing agreement.

However the press release does say the cartridge resulted from a cooperative effort between Universal Music Group and Ortofon.

The new cartridge has an output of 3.5mV, and is designed to track between 1.4-1.7 grams with 1.5 being optimal.

Most significantly the cartridge features a Shibata stylus capable of tracing every lateral nook and cranny groove inscription. Because there are no vertical modulations in a mono groove, VTA/SRA is not at all critical.

If you are connecting to a stereo phono preamp the usual 47kOhm 150-350pF loading is operative but via a mono connection Ortofon recommends a 23.5kOhm 300-600pF load.

Ortofon says the new cartridge will cost 500euros or around $677. .

Clive
17-06-2014, 21:26
Surely mono will be one channel. I reckon there are still a few mono cutters about and possibly used for new (re) releases. Also, is the result not a mono cut if a stereo cutter is used with both channels transcribing the same signal?
If mono is done as one channel won't you only have one channel playing if using a stereo cartridge? Maybe that's the intent.

Will there be vertical modulation if a stereo cutter is used? I think that's the main question.

johnB
17-06-2014, 21:53
Having bought the Mono CD boxset in 2009, and the Stereo Vinyl boxset in 2012, i may have to pause on this one......for a while anyway.

walpurgis
17-06-2014, 22:52
If mono is done as one channel won't you only have one channel playing if using a stereo cartridge?

No, playing a mono recording through a stereo system the signal will be processed equally by both channels and put out an identical sound from both speakers, giving a centred mono image.

There should not be vertical modulation on a mono cut record made on a stereo cutter.

Think of a stereo record as two DIFFERENT mono channels (left/right) cut at opposing angles to each other.

The Black Adder
29-08-2014, 16:43
Here we have Pete Nash opening the vinyl box set..

Looks superb I must say.

Enjoy!

TWt3xzaAdl4

webby
29-08-2014, 17:08
Here we have Pete Nash opening the vinyl box set..

Looks superb I must say.

Enjoy!

TWt3xzaAdl4

Lovely heavy vinyl. Yeah, 180g mate!

Martyn Miles
31-08-2014, 19:48
At Last all analogue
Beatles - In Mono - No dynamic compression and minimal equalization will hopefully produce the best ever sounding Beatles reissues

full story below.

On Sep. the 8th. My birthday... On reflection, I think I will stick to my Mono Beatles CD box set

struth
31-08-2014, 20:17
Its a lot of bread, and I guess only beatles mad people with proper mono TT systems will be buying.....

Clive
31-08-2014, 20:29
I forsee 500 quid on ebay in 6 months.

Mr Kipling
01-09-2014, 09:12
At Last all analogue

full story below

And according to the latest Hi Fi World, they are.

And no-one (apart from me) has mentioned the American re-issues on cd this year, which again Hi Fi World rate better than the UK versions. These can be had for as little as £7 and have both mono and stereo mixes. Not the same as having the UK items that you know and grew up with, I'll give you that.

The Black Adder
01-09-2014, 09:34
Could I ask why are they better?... Just wondering.

I dunno. I'm torn in buying the box set as I'm chewing through collecting a full set of originals so not sure what to do.

Can we trust what they say about the transfer?... I mean they don't use any valve equipment in the transfer to which is that an authentic transfer?... You would think that they would have put more of an effort in to making the transfer as close as possible. I feel their time for the project had been squeezed an awful lot. The reproduction covers etc do look perfect but, gah... it's the effort and how it was done that matters to me the most.

Might have missed something but does anyone know if they were cut in stereo or mono?

Mr Kipling
01-09-2014, 11:42

You'll have to zoom the images but it's the best I can do.

The Black Adder
01-09-2014, 12:49
Cool... thanks Stephen :)

Mr Kipling
01-09-2014, 14:11

Forgot Noel's comments.

The Black Adder
01-09-2014, 16:58
Hmm, very interesting.

I'm warming more and more in getting the set. I'm a massive Beatles fan and was found dancing to Help when I was 2 years old so they are in my blood since then. The one thing I do like about originals however is their purity and a romanticism about playing a copy that came from the day. But because Beatles LP's have been played a few million times it does (only sometimes) take the top end emphasis away from the music. But... the original vinyl is of superior to today's rubbish and begs the question that will these new vinyls have the same life span? It does seem that they have used top quality vinyl as Noel's notes suggest so the answer to that question has to be wait another 50 years and see... lol

Mr Kipling
01-09-2014, 18:37
Their first three albums have always been my favourites, simply because of the drive, energy and excitement they contain. Quite often, however, others dismiss them in favour of the later more produced ones. Surprising to read then that this new set highlights the qualities of those early titles and showing up what was lost as production techniques got more complex. I'll wait until they become available individually.

The Black Adder
01-09-2014, 19:12
Indeed, their first three were the most driven.

They will be all released individually too! :)

Clive
02-09-2014, 09:59
I want to clarify the point I was making on the 1st page of this thread re stereo / mono cut. In common with most post 1967 mono records theses albums will have been cut using a stereo cutter with the 2 channels being fed the identical signal. This requires greater accuracy than a mono cutter would as any imbalance between channels would cause nulling when a mono cartridge or mono amp switch is used. This is the theory...of course in practice it's unlikely to be an issue. I have however heard of some mono re-issues where the high frequencies were out of phase so when summed there was no treble. Given the care taken with the box set I don't foresee such issues! I eagerly await mine.

The Black Adder
02-09-2014, 10:15
Great!.. so you have ordered one then, Clive... excellent news! - I'm well tempted.

Clive
02-09-2014, 10:17
Great!.. so you have ordered one then, Clive... excellent news! - I'm well tempted.
I figured I wanted several of them and at £19 each the cost added up so I might as well get the set with the extras that come with it. It should be a reasonable investment too....not that I would sell it, that's my internal justification!

Marco
02-09-2014, 10:23
That mono set is sexy as hell! It’s something that I’ll have to think very seriously about… If I do go for it, I’ll be buying it from Scott! :)

Marco.

PaulStewart
02-09-2014, 11:49
I have all the original 1st or very early press Beatles albums in Mono and Stereo if they were available in stereo plus some other bits like the "Rarities" album and McCartney's de-spectored version of Let It Be so I don't need the re-release....... Also, I'm a smug git :laugh:

Jimbo
02-09-2014, 12:06
Could I ask why are they better?... Just wondering.

I dunno. I'm torn in buying the box set as I'm chewing through collecting a full set of originals so not sure what to do.

Can we trust what they say about the transfer?... I mean they don't use any valve equipment in the transfer to which is that an authentic transfer?... You would think that they would have put more of an effort in to making the transfer as close as possible. I feel their time for the project had been squeezed an awful lot. The reproduction covers etc do look perfect but, gah... it's the effort and how it was done that matters to me the most.

Might have missed something but does anyone know if they were cut in stereo or mono?

Hey Joe,

have you seen Michael Fremer's review of the mono Beatles albums on Analog Planet.
He is review every one individually and comparing them to the original mono vinyl. So far looking very good!

Mr Kipling
02-09-2014, 12:12
Is it said to be a "Limited Edition"? Originally the mono cd box set was, but that got knocked on the head and five years later it's still available.

Mr Kipling
02-09-2014, 16:43
Amazon have them listed individually at £29.

The Black Adder
02-09-2014, 16:45
Hey Joe,

have you seen Michael Fremer's review of the mono Beatles albums on Analog Planet.
He is review every one individually and comparing them to the original mono vinyl. So far looking very good!

No, I haven't as yet matey... :) Gorra link?

johnB
02-09-2014, 17:46
Is the book in the boxset the same book that came in the Stereo box?

Clive
02-09-2014, 17:48
Amazon have them listed individually at £29.

Yes...19 was my typo....

Mr Kipling
02-09-2014, 18:51
Amazon.com have them for $23 (£14) with free post on orders of $35 so effectively you can get two for the price of one here.

I wouldn't have thought the book would be the same as what came with the stereo set.

SLS
03-09-2014, 16:16
I bought a set today based on the Fremer videos and because I have a mono cartridge mounted on the second arm of my T/T. A bit of an indulgence, but hey ho.
Tim at What Records had a few spare copies in addition to his pre-orders. £282 delivered.

daytona600
05-09-2014, 07:49
Mine arrived today will give them a spin over the weekend

Tarzan
06-09-2014, 05:38
Mine arrived today will give them a spin over the weekend

:popcorn:

Clive
13-09-2014, 11:52
I've just compared Sgt Peppers from the new mono set with my 1st pressing (dead wax shows it as 5N), this LP was originally purchased by my late sister anc is in great condition. The new version is a little clearer and less rounded sounding, bass is a little less powerful. The new copy uses thicker vinyl which if anything should increase bass due to VTA. The cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Mono. I'll compare With The Beatles next.

walpurgis
13-09-2014, 12:43
I've got an original mono Sgt Pepper LP. Wonder what it's worth. Probably not a huge amount, there must be loads still about. :)

Clive
13-09-2014, 12:54
I've got an original mono Sgt Pepper LP. Wonder what it's worth. Probably not a huge amount, there must be loads still about. :)
If 1st pressing, good nick and with the card pictures then it could be up to £150 on a very good day.

twotone
13-09-2014, 18:56
I bought the box-set from Amazon It on Thursday evening for £252 delivered to Glasgow and it landed this afternoon.

I'm now up to playing Beatles For Sale and so far the records are fantastic, I'm just playing through my usual set up which is stereo with no mono switch on the amp.

I've also just bought a SH copy of Abbey Road (2nd press).

Tony

johnB
13-09-2014, 22:28
I finally bought it...but not allowed to open until Dec 25th.

Clive
15-09-2014, 17:39
I'm very impressed by the mono box set. Of course in the 60s and 70s my system was rather basic but with new vinyl and a good system the music of my youth is sounding better than ever. Really pleased.

twotone
17-09-2014, 12:24
Amazon U.K are selling the set for £225 delivered btw

Clive
17-09-2014, 14:07
Amazon U.K are selling the set for £225 delivered btw
Is that a Marketplace seller? I've not found it. I still see £288. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Beatles-In-Mono-VINYL/dp/B005NJ9CHK

Mr Kipling
17-09-2014, 17:00
Amazon.Com have it for £230. And buying them in pairs is £25.

twotone
17-09-2014, 19:31
Is that a Marketplace seller? I've not found it. I still see £288. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Beatles-In-Mono-VINYL/dp/B005NJ9CHK

No, Amazon Clive but they pulled the offer.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/The-Beatles-In-Mono-VINYL/product/B005NJ9CHK

twotone
17-09-2014, 19:32
Amazon.Com have it for £230. And buying them in pairs is £25.

Don't you have to pay import duties?

The Black Adder
17-09-2014, 19:40
Does anyone know if the White album is still individually numbered?

twotone
17-09-2014, 19:55
Yes it's the only record in the box-set numbered, mine is a mad seven or eight digit no.

Good thread here below, if this isn't allowed please delete.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158049

The Black Adder
17-09-2014, 19:59
Cool, thanks... Is it just the boxed versions of the white album numbered or are the individual ones numbered too? - Great if they were.

twotone
17-09-2014, 21:13
Cool, thanks... Is it just the boxed versions of the white album numbered or are the individual ones numbered too? - Great if they were.

Not sure to be honest but I don't think so.

Clive
18-09-2014, 15:54
I've just been playing Rubber Soul comparing the Ortofon 2M Mono with 2M Mono SE. The SE version is marketed cleverly in tandem with the Beatles mono set. The SE has a better generator, body and Shibata stylus profile instead of the conical on the standard 2M Mono. The SE is a decent improvement in clarity, a little smoother on the really raw parts of recordings. Cleaner, more detailed yet more sympathetic. It'll not be anywhere near the ultimate of course, the likes of a SPU Mono would be interesting. Glad I bought the SE though as I do have a lot of mono LPs.

Mr Kipling
18-09-2014, 17:26
Don't you have to pay import duties?

I don't know.

I've bought a few items from an American vinyl & cd seller on eBay (all_your_music) and so far I've never had to pay any.

Clive
18-09-2014, 17:54
You should assume the box set will be hit with tax and duty.

Mr Kipling
18-09-2014, 18:04
Well, Mr Rexton will say for definite.

Clive
18-09-2014, 19:08
There'll be nothing definitive about it. It's random.

Mr Kipling
18-09-2014, 19:25
Well in his case it will be a definite "yes" or "no".

And when it's random why assume you will have to pay? Why not take the view you might not have to?

Clive
18-09-2014, 19:34
Well in his case it will be a definite "yes" or "no".

And when it's random why assume you will have to pay? Why not take the view you might not have to?
For an LP or two you'll likely get away with it. For a big b*gger that the box set is plus it's price then the chances are it'll cost you. This is based on my experience of importing a lot of stuff.

Mr Kipling
18-09-2014, 20:53
For an LP or two you'll likely get away with it. For a big b*gger that the box set is plus it's price then the chances are it'll cost you. This is based on my experience of importing a lot of stuff.

I must have been lucky then with the gear I've imported then. Or maybe it's down to the Zen Buddist approach to life I have: Expect - NOTHING!

Clive
18-09-2014, 21:06
I must have been lucky then with the gear I've imported then. Or maybe it's down to the Zen Buddist approach to life I have: Expect - NOTHING!
Did you import from companies such as Amazon who will declare the correct value? I tend to expect nothing for free so it's a bonus if I luck in.

Mr Kipling
18-09-2014, 21:28
Did you import from companies such as Amazon who will declare the correct value? I tend to expect nothing for free so it's a bonus if I luck in.

eBay before it started being added at the checkout.

Not a question of expecting nothing for free. It's just having no expectation in general.

twotone
18-09-2014, 22:37
I've bought from all-your-music who offer free delivery and the lowest prices on both Amazon and e-bay for single albums and have never paid any extra however I bought a load of Leica items from an 'actual' auction in Georgia US (about £700s worth) and paid £107 customs on that lot.

Clive
18-09-2014, 22:46
The rules are that you pay VAT on purchases (imported by post from the US) over £15 or £36 if a gift.

You pay import duty when the item is over £135 or £630 if a gift.

You may pay a rip off service charge to the carrier too.

So much depends on how items are declared.

Mr Kipling
04-10-2014, 15:48
What's the story then? Hasn't anyone played theirs'?

Tarzan
06-10-2014, 05:33
What's the story then? Hasn't anyone played theirs'?

:popcorn:

take5
06-10-2014, 13:35
I havent read all 8 of the pages of this thread, so dont know which direction it has all gone.

But I have 4 original Beatles Monos that I will sell.

Rubber Soul, Help, For Sale, and With The.

From memory, they are all original, first pressings. Condition is great on them all.

Not sure how much to ask for them, but if any interest, I will do some research and price them. It will be lower than the "going" rate.

Anyone?

Mr Kipling
07-10-2014, 22:55
Don't know if mono or stereo, but Nov. 24 th sees another release: Work In Progress. Out-takes 1963. CD £7 and 2LP £18 at Amazon UK.