PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic insulation - sound barrier membrane

Chris Frost
19-03-2008, 16:47
If you have noisy neighbours or you would just like to reduce the sound level bleeding in to adjacent rooms then this acoustic insulation product might be of interest.

My Theatre Walls applies like wallpaper to the walls and ceiling in your listening room. Once up it can be painted or papered-over to bring the room back to decorative order. It is ideal for treating rooms where it is impractical to install conventional barrier materials in to the fabric of the building.

Although My Theatre Walls is just 1.5mm thick the composite material is soft and dense enough to make a significant reduction to sound energy that would otherwise pass through the wall. The density is 2400kg per cubic metre; roughly equal to the weight of two Ford Focus cars.

The effectiveness of any barrier material at blocking sound in the human speach range (125Hz to 4kHz) is given by its Sound Transmission Classification. The bigger the STC number the better, but it needs a comparative scale to give it some meaning.(1)

STC..................Subjective description of effectiveness

20-22................Most sentences clearly understood

25-27................Many phrases and some sentences understood without straining to hear

30-32................Individual words and occasional phrases clearly heard and understood (interior 4x2 stud wall with insulation)

35-37................Medium loud speech clearly audible, occasional words understood

40-42................Loud speech audible, music easily heard (single skin breeze block wall 6" thick)

45-47................Loud speech audible by straining to hear; music normally can be heard and may be disturbing (party wall, single skin brick, 6" thick)

50-52................Loud speech essentially inaudible; music can be heard faintly but bass notes disturbing

55.....................Music heard faintly, bass notes "thump"; power woodworking equipment clearly audible

60.....................Music still heard very faintly if played loud.

65+...................Effectively blocks most air-borne noise sources

My Theatre Walls has an STC rating of 24. It provides a useful increase in the insulation properties of your existing walls and ceilings.

edit: My Theatre Walls adds an extra STC of 24 on top of whatever your walls achieve

The product is available in 8'x4' sheets or 4'x25' rolls. The equivalent price per square foot is £4.00.
Contact me for a price for delivery as this product is very heavy.

If anyone has questions please post them here or send a pm.

Regards

Chris Frost
Lucid AV

(1) Source: www.sota.ca (http://www.sota.ca/stc_info.htm)
The bracketed notes are anecdotal, collected from several sources.

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 11:15
What kind of cost is one looking at for the insulation rated 65+?

Chris Frost
20-03-2008, 13:02
What kind of cost is one looking at for the insulation rated 65+?

Hi Rob,
If you want to block out all airborne noise then you would need to think about treating the whole room including the floor and replacing the door with a fire door. Is that what you want to do?

Regards

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 13:25
Not really as it's a rented place, but just getting an idea of the best way to quash as much sound travel as I can without building an entire suspended listening room.

Chris Frost
20-03-2008, 16:12
If you were to treat all the surfaces and block up any air gaps then you might be able to a room that was performing at STC 35 and make it as quiet as STC 59.

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 16:17
I might have to look into that. I've another two years before I move into another detached place so it would be worth doing, depending on the cost of course, although I can do the fitting myself.

Chris Frost
20-03-2008, 17:21
The cost of the gear is straightforward enough to work out - it's £4 per square foot.

An 8'x4' sheet is £128.00

A 4'x25' roll is £400

Delivery costs depend on the size, weight and distance involved.

FYI, there's another product in the range that is designed for installation within a wall, ie you plasterboard over the top of it. The product is called dB-3. Spec sheet here (http://www.db-3sam.net/). This can be used as a floor treatment. You would take up the carpet and underlay first, then put down a layer of dB-3, the put the underlay and carpet back down on top.

dB-3 costs about £3.00 per square foot.

Mike
20-03-2008, 17:29
Bugger!

That means it would cost me about £1200 to treat 3 (one is an external) of the walls in my listening room!

:doh:

Mike
20-03-2008, 17:31
I'm an idiot...... 2 of them are external walls!

Make that £800.

Filterlab
20-03-2008, 22:00
The cost of the gear is straightforward enough to work out - it's £4 per square foot.

An 8'x4' sheet is £128.00

A 4'x25' roll is £400

Delivery costs depend on the size, weight and distance involved.

FYI, there's another product in the range that is designed for installation within a wall, ie you plasterboard over the top of it. The product is called dB-3. Spec sheet here (http://www.db-3sam.net/). This can be used as a floor treatment. You would take up the carpet and underlay first, then put down a layer of dB-3, the put the underlay and carpet back down on top.

dB-3 costs about £3.00 per square foot.

Cool, cheers mate. It is expensive but it has to be worth it. :_