PDA

View Full Version : Just stepped into the Land of Oz...

Gazjam
14-06-2014, 09:49
Joined Discogs :stalks:

Helluva way to buy 2nd hand vinyl, what a great site.
Bought a "Near Mint" Movie soundtrack LP I lost for £12. Result.
Wee bit of research on there works a treat.

Any other reccy's for places to buy vinyl safely online?

kininigin
14-06-2014, 10:09
Very good site,if you can find a decent seller,of which there are many! Use it often and can find almost anything you want! I don't use any other site for second hand records online!

twotone
14-06-2014, 10:12
I use discogs a lot to both buy and sell but you really need to watch the over optimistic grading of some sellers.

I bought a record last week, from a seller with over 1000 feedback most of which is positive but he dicked me about for a week before finally admitting he didn't have the record and refunded me yesterday so I bought the same record, Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac, from a Dutch seller yesterday with over 2,500 records for sale and 99% feedback and he's not replied yet.

I also sold a record to a girl in Lima, Peru last Tuesday for £6 but postage is £9 or £17 (insured & tracked) and she's suddenly disappeared since I sent her an invoice for £15.

But, as I say for the most part it's fine on there.

kininigin
14-06-2014, 10:22
To date,i've had one iffy experience on there! Bought a record,they sent the wrong record (one i already owned) they then sent the correct record,which had a big chunk of it missing which wasn't in the mailer they sent it in! They then gave me a refund as i gave up on them by then!

Gazjam
14-06-2014, 10:27
Suppose its a bit like Ebay where folk guard their positive feedback, especially if they want to make a living from it.
But like you say, its no guarantee as things happen.

An Ebay type setup just for music, works for me. :)

kininigin
14-06-2014, 10:36
I much prefer to physically by my records so i know what i'm getting and save a fair bit on postage but it is very good for finding particular records you are after! It's were i got my rare Demon Fuzz album from.I was very nervous about spending a lot of money on a record coming from America but the seller gave fantastic communication throughout and answered my many questions.Like i said find a good seller and you can't go wrong!

twotone
14-06-2014, 11:12
Discogs is fantastic for cataloguing your record collection too which then makes it very easy to sell some of it you no longer want.

Selling stuff can take a while though but if your patient and keep an eye on selling prices for whatever your selling you can do well.

Tony

Ali Tait
14-06-2014, 11:33
Never had any problem with Discogs, but only been buying vinyl for a few months. For new high quality stuff I use Scott at SN Vinyl. You have to wait sometimes for a particular pressing, but always get it in the end. Bought some from the bay too, never had a problem there either.

julesd68
14-06-2014, 11:42
I've bought from ebay / discogs / GEMM, and have had excellent, bad and indifferent service from all - totally depends on the 'quality' of the seller and how seriously they take their grading.

One thing I prefer about ebay is that it's easy to see if the seller accepts returns if the vinyl isn't up to 'scratch' - this isn't always as transparent on the other sites ...

MikeMusic
14-06-2014, 14:44
Recently bought from Germany

Cheaper post than from the UK !

Good album too, very well packed

Gazjam
14-06-2014, 17:12
Just back from Scott Nangles, went there for a record cleaner and ended up picking up some vinyl too!

twotone
14-06-2014, 17:14
BTW, PFM's record shop is excellent too.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Gazjam
15-06-2014, 10:22
Thanks guys, good info.
Bookmarked those sites.

Did a search for some of my favorite albums and...
Well. This is disappointing! :stalks:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAFT-PUNK-Tron-Legacy-Soundtrack-LP-Rare-Limited-Edition-3334-9072-SEALED-2011/281357015134?_trksid=p0.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D23345%26meid%3D7633774054506996891%26pid%3D 100204%26prg%3D9920%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D331 206983196

daytona600
16-06-2014, 09:37
Tron by daft punk is silly money these days Gaz still cheaper than a original

the original one out this month on audio fidelity !!

Wendy Carlos - Tron
Numbered Limited Edition
Audiophile 180g Translucent Blue Double Virgin Vinyl
Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio
Pressed at QRP Quality Record Pressings

Peter Galbavy
17-06-2014, 14:45
I've bought on discogs a few times but as I have a long standing problem with PayPal I have to limit it to sellers who will take CC or bank transfers (the latter only for small purchases). I have also bought for cash since one seller works out of a storage place near Kentish Town and that's not far from me.

I agree on the optimistic grading though and I have tended to limit myself to items that the sellers describe as NM-/NM- as then the comeback seems easier as the definition is straight forward (BTW http://www.discogs.com/help/marketplace/mp-grading is a MUST read if you intend to trade on there).

I have bought odd records here and there from Amazon marketplace sellers where there is usually a premium but the payment process is far more protected. I have had a couple of "full refunds, no need to return" on items descibed "Used - Like New" when they very clearly were used as ash trays and door stops.

I have also used www.vinylnet.co.uk a couple of times but they do get expensive. New web site has improved things.

PS http://www.discogs.com/user/pgalbavy on there - add me as a "friend" if you're really bored ;)