PDA

View Full Version : Led Zepplin reissues

diviy
04-06-2014, 11:45
Any one had these yet whats the quality like if so?

Gazjam
04-06-2014, 12:27
Have them on Digital.
Compared to the Barry Diament masters the mix seems more spacious, bigger soundstage.
Individual elements seem to stand out more.

Yet...
It seems a bit "hifi" in my opinion compared to the Diament master?
A bit shiny, know what I mean?
Its louder, so more immediately impressive but level the volume and the the Diament masters do it for me.
Closest I've heard to vinyl.

Suppose if your a collector its a good thing, some of the "new" tracks on III are very good.
Takes that failed to make the cut are interesting, but you can kinda hear why.

Just my £0.02 worth.

diviy
04-06-2014, 12:48
I have heard Mr page remastered these got to be worth a gamble at 15 quid each for a 180 grm pressing,We shall see how they compare to my original first pressing`s;);););)

PaulStewart
04-06-2014, 13:00
Just had an email thatbsays 1,2&3 remasters are up on Spotify, may compare these to the original vinyls later.

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 13:18
Paul
Gerald is refering to Vinyl remasters so i don't know what listerning to them on there is gonna do! But i think we have been here before..

diviy
04-06-2014, 13:28
Paul
Gerald is refering to Vinyl remasters so i don't know what listerning to them on there is gonna do! But i think we have been here before..

I am new to the forum what is ment by( But i think we have been here before..)

confused .com :scratch::scratch::scratch:

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 13:42
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31534-Led-Zeppelin

I think Paul as i like the sound omisinterpreted my posts..As i like the sound of CD but love records, hence im wanting digital sound from my LP's.. I have the original LP's see & was wondering what these new ones sounded like before i bought them.If they are clearer without harshness they will do for me.

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 14:16
Had the first one on pre-order, came yesterday, haven't had a chance to spin it up yet.

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 14:27
Is it the single LP version if so how good is the packaging quality & printing?

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 14:48
It has three discs, original album plus a previously unreleased live gig from Paris. Packaging looks ok, I will have a closer look tonight and let you know, was too busy for more than a cursory look last night.

This is the one I got-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeppelin-Deluxe-Edition-Remastered-Triple/dp/B00IXHBOF2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401893244&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=led+zeppelin+vinyl+reissues

snapper
04-06-2014, 15:15
I have all three deluxe versions, Andre. To me, the quality of the packaging is very good. All vinyl is in poly lined inners, which is a good start. All the vinyl are as flat as a flat thing, and on my copy's, no surface noise that I can hear.

I don't have any original vinyl to compare to, but to me the mastering job is a lot better than the vinyl I do own. And in some cases, by quite a margin.

Here's the vinyl I compared them to.

Led Zeppelin - l 3rd press. (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin/release/465920)

Led Zeppelin - ll Philippines copy (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/4766188)

Led Zeppelin - ll 1974 issue (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/5629682)

Led Zeppelin - ll German copy (early 80's with barcode) (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/772380)

Led Zeppelin - lll Late 70's German pressing (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-III/release/4562928)

HTH

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 15:25
Good to know, I'll give it a spin tonight.

Stratmangler
05-06-2014, 22:19
I have all three deluxe versions, Andre. To me, the quality of the packaging is very good. All vinyl is in poly lined inners, which is a good start. All the vinyl are as flat as a flat thing, and on my copy's, no surface noise that I can hear.

I don't have any original vinyl to compare to, but to me the mastering job is a lot better than the vinyl I do own. And in some cases, by quite a margin.

Here's the vinyl I compared them to.

Led Zeppelin - l 3rd press. (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin/release/465920)

Led Zeppelin - ll Philippines copy (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/4766188)

Led Zeppelin - ll 1974 issue (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/5629682)

Led Zeppelin - ll German copy (early 80's with barcode) (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/release/772380)

Led Zeppelin - lll Late 70's German pressing (http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-III/release/4562928)

HTH

I & III were delivered today, and I'm playing III right now - my run of the mill pressing doesn't sound anything like as good as the new one.
I'm really, really pleased with it.

I'm waiting for II to turn up because I can compare it to my plum label pressing - I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in the new one going from what I've heard so far :)

Ali Tait
05-06-2014, 22:52
Andre, I'd agree with Snapper, the packaging looks good.

SLS
06-06-2014, 00:35
I, II and III arrived from Tim at What Records on Tuesday, I is the Deluxe box. My difficult-to-impress 17-year-old was impressed.

Just cleaned them all and starting with I. Initial impressions good, very airy soundstage on "Babe I'm gonna leave you". " Dazed and confused" balance and detail is excellent, no mushiness at all. Happy so far, on to side 2.

The Barbarian
06-06-2014, 10:36
Andre, I'd agree with Snapper, the packaging looks good.

Brilliant can i just ask one thing do they have labels that represent the old Atlantic label? as this is one of my pet hates with most Re-Issues the labels being a whole new design? If they look simular to the original im an happy chappie.

snapper
06-06-2014, 11:02
Artwork for Led Zeppelin - II (http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=5743308)

The Barbarian
06-06-2014, 11:48
Awesome Dave.. Ive ordered em..

:flasher:

snapper
06-06-2014, 12:02
I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I'm listening to needledrops I did yesterday and comparing them the the hi-res issues. To my ears, the vinyl sounds a lot better. As gazjam said, the hi-res sound a bit too hi-fi and blingy. Also a bit more compressed than the vinyl.

Going to record them to cassette to play in the car.

:rock:

Clive197
06-06-2014, 16:42
Artwork for Led Zeppelin - II (http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=5743308)

The labels are the WEA Issue, not the original Atlantic purple labels produced by Polydor in the UK.

Clive

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2014, 17:09
Do you still get the pre-echo at the start of the guitar solo on 'Whole Lotta Love'?

The Barbarian
06-06-2014, 17:33
Yeh that really bugs me Chris but they cant get rid of the print through if that's what it is..

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2014, 17:48
Shame.

Stratmangler
06-06-2014, 20:39
Do you still get the pre-echo at the start of the guitar solo on 'Whole Lotta Love'?

It's probably intentional, just like the vocal stuff is.

The Barbarian
06-06-2014, 20:54
It's probabaly not aswell...

Stratmangler
06-06-2014, 20:59
The vocal stuff was done with a tape echo unit when the tapes were being played backwards.
Jimmy Page is a known fan of early Rock & Roll music, and slapback delay was very commonly used to beef up the tone and body of guitar solos, so add the slapback with little feedback (ie rapid decay) on a reversed solo and you get noises that annoy folks for decades :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
06-06-2014, 21:10
.....but it isn't a reversed solo though?

Stratmangler
06-06-2014, 21:14
.....but it isn't a reversed solo though?

No it's not.
Play the tapes backwards and add the slapback as a production effect ...

Add in that the solo was played on a Telecaster, whereas the rhythm guitar parts were played on a '59 Les Paul, and Jimmy may well have felt that the Tele sound needed beefing up in some way.
Now they'd just recorded a large freeform section using assorted guitar noises, percussion, Theremin and what have you - why not add slapback to the sound of the guitar solo played back in reverse?

DSJR
06-06-2014, 21:23
If I fork out for these, it'll have to be both vinyl and CD - CD for the sonics and vinyl for the album sleeves and artwork. I was shocked to discover that I actually got rid of my original Polygram pressings of LZ III and IV. HOTH is way better on 1991 CD so don't miss that (the original CD is dire - very hissy) and I have an original pressing of Presence (it screams compared to the CD's). My LZ1 isn't original (bought in the mid 70's) so worthless as not original.

Interesting, the clip of the alternative Whole Lotta Love track sounded significantly better than the proper mix, so I suspect all the bass distortion which makes the vinyl almost unlistenable for me is a factor of the 'preparation' of the master to juice the sound up (I have an original Canadian pressing still).

Stratmangler
06-06-2014, 21:39
Interesting, the clip of the alternative Whole Lotta Love track sounded significantly better than the proper mix, so I suspect all the bass distortion which makes the vinyl almost unlistenable for me is a factor of the 'preparation' of the master to juice the sound up (I have an original Canadian pressing still).

Apart from the clarity of the vinyls, the thing that impresses me most with the reissues is the additional material - some of it is fascinating to hear, and a real ear opener too.

ff1d1l
17-06-2014, 20:11
I compared a hi res 24/96 version of the new Led Zep 1 remaster with the Barry Diament transfer today, normal 16/44 bitrate. I compared on a Denon 2900 with a mains regenerating power supply, which significantly ups it's game. To even things up both file sets were burnt to DVD. Amp was my Luxkit class A jobbie, and speakers the Urei 811's. Differences were immediately and easily apparent, and not small.

My take on it is the new remaster is louder - hotter, at the expense of both dynamics and clarity.

Bass is thinner and cardboard-y on the remaster. Pedal bass drum for example on "Good times bad times" is round and dynamic on the Diament transfer. On the remaster, it's er, not.

Instruments sound shiny and bright on the remaster. On the Barry Diament transfer they sound like instruments. Oddly, though, within the new transfer's shinyness there is less inner clarity to be had - and the band sounds less controlled and more thrashy.

The original transfer just makes for a more satisfying musical experience, IMO.

I only compared Led Zep 1, and have no idea how the other releases sound, though based on this I can guess how they may have turned out. And I didn't compare vinyl. And I haven't taken into account the extra material, which to a completist could be a deal breaker.

I won't be bothering with any further productions in this series, though.

daytona600
29-07-2014, 15:17
IV & Houses of the Holy in 180g LP , 2LP , 2LP + 2CD + Book

Late October

chris@panteg
14-08-2014, 09:55
I compared a hi res 24/96 version of the new Led Zep 1 remaster with the Barry Diament transfer today, normal 16/44 bitrate. I compared on a Denon 2900 with a mains regenerating power supply, which significantly ups it's game. To even things up both file sets were burnt to DVD. Amp was my Luxkit class A jobbie, and speakers the Urei 811's. Differences were immediately and easily apparent, and not small.

My take on it is the new remaster is louder - hotter, at the expense of both dynamics and clarity.

Bass is thinner and cardboard-y on the remaster. Pedal bass drum for example on "Good times bad times" is round and dynamic on the Diament transfer. On the remaster, it's er, not.

Instruments sound shiny and bright on the remaster. On the Barry Diament transfer they sound like instruments. Oddly, though, within the new transfer's shinyness there is less inner clarity to be had - and the band sounds less controlled and more thrashy.

The original transfer just makes for a more satisfying musical experience, IMO.

I only compared Led Zep 1, and have no idea how the other releases sound, though based on this I can guess how they may have turned out. And I didn't compare vinyl. And I haven't taken into account the extra material, which to a completist could be a deal breaker.

I won't be bothering with any further productions in this series, though.

Hi, I recently got a copy of zep 3, the double vinyl version and to me it sounds a bit loud and limited, bit disappointed as I like the companion disc.

WAD62
18-08-2014, 12:55
IV & Houses of the Holy in 180g LP , 2LP , 2LP + 2CD + Book

Late October

Double CD's pre-ordered...:)

Any news of Physical Graffiti & Presence?

Will

daytona600
23-10-2014, 19:58
Zep IV & Houses Of The Holy arrived today on Vinyl
Quick clean on the RCM & They sound very good , flat vinyl & quiet pressings
covers not too bad looking but the inner sleeves went straight in the bin
will compare them later to my Originals and the 200gram Claasics

Stratmangler
21-02-2015, 23:12
Physical Graffiti is to be released this coming Monday 23rd February, and it's the 40th Anniversary release - it was originally released on the 24th February 1975.
My vinyl copy should hopefully land before next weekend :)

WAD62
23-02-2015, 11:15
Physical Graffiti is to be released this coming Monday 23rd February, and it's the 40th Anniversary release - it was originally released on the 24th February 1975.
My vinyl copy should hopefully land before next weekend :)

My triple CD set arrived yesterday, I haven't had a chance to compare to my other digital version (the remastered box sets), but it sounds very nice ;)

Havana
23-02-2015, 11:40
John Bonham would be spinning in his grave if he knew you were saying the remasters sound " very nice" !!

Stratmangler
23-02-2015, 12:00
John Bonham would be spinning in his grave if he knew you were saying the remasters sound " very nice" !!

:D

SquireC
23-02-2015, 17:10
Well, I think 1 on vinyl is good. Very similar to the original.
2 I have on Jap pressing, so didn't get the remaster.
3, very disappointed in the remaster. It's EQ'd out, IMHO, with all the life taken out of it. I managed to get a near mint Jap pressing, and it's fabulous. Way better than the remaster, but of course you don't get the extra tracks.
Got Jap pressings of 4 and Grafitti, so no desire to go for the remasters.

Just my pennorth.

:rolleyes: