PDA

View Full Version : "Records" or "vinyl"

ekymetal
03-06-2014, 22:21
I am a member on an Australian forum, and this thread started.
It got real ugly with people making harsh comments.
Even putting up pictures of people who they thought would buy a vinyl!
Hipsters as they called them.
What are your views on this ?
You don't hear your vinyl collection often, we'll I don't .
To me it's my record collection.
I work at a school and the kids say I purchased a vinyl .
But they say, if it's more than one it's Their record collection.
I don't think it matters as it's a vinyl record!
Lets hear what you all think.
cheers
Ek

walpurgis
03-06-2014, 22:25
Does it matter Scott? Not here really I think. Terminology is not critical as long as the point gets across. Any 'ganging up' is frowned on at AOS and gets stomped on if necessary.

Barry
03-06-2014, 22:30
I think we had this debate over the nomenclature sometime ago.

Can't remember the outcome (I'll see if I can find the thread), but for what it's worth I would refer to my record collection. Collectors who also play 78s have no other option (not that I have any).

Your question raises two more related questions: do you refer to the records as "LPs" or as "albums", and do you pronounce vinyl as "vin-nile" or as "vine-al"? :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2014, 22:33
I think the term 'a vinyl' is just wrong.
However me thinking that won't stop people saying it, much the same as for people who choose to pronounce 'schedule' as 'skedule' or writing 'your' when they mean 'you're'. I don't like it, but there's no point in having a barney about it.

Barry
03-06-2014, 22:42
I think the term 'a vinyl' is just wrong.
However me thinking that won't stop people saying it, much the same as for people who choose to pronounce 'schedule' as 'skedule' or writing 'your' when they mean 'you're'. I don't like it, but there's no point in having a barney about it.

Agreed. "Skedule" is the American pronouciation, and I'm sure I have incorrectly typed 'your' when I should have typed 'you're'. Mea culpa.

The Grand Wazoo
03-06-2014, 22:44
Ah, but the difference is that you know when you've got it wrong!

ekymetal
03-06-2014, 22:47
Does it matter Scott? Not here really I think. Terminology is not critical as long as the point gets across. Any 'ganging up' is frowned on at AOS and gets stomped on if necessary.
No I don't think it matters.
The reaction here is much better.
I made a comment and the thread starter did not agree.
So he put up pictures of the so called vinyl purchaser.
I was just interested what the reaction would be here.
I am finding this forum fantastic and a wealth of knowledge.
And with people willing to offer advise instead of a flaming!

twotone
03-06-2014, 22:52
Always been records and Lps or singles to me but I am from that era.

Vinyl is for searching don't think records would do well in a google search.

awkwardbydesign
04-06-2014, 08:25
Records, LPs or "some vinyl", NOT vinyls! Album could refer to CD (just).
So there!

YNWaN
04-06-2014, 09:12
I never heard the word 'vinyls' until a few years ago. I guess it is because the music industry still uses the term 'X is releasing a new record' when they really mean recording and the actual format is not necessarily vinyl. When I tell people I've just bought a new record they often think I mean recording and assume it is a CD, so you end up saying vinyl record - shortened, I guess, to vinyl (or the plural vinyls).

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 09:19
No such word as vinyls though...

Marco
04-06-2014, 09:40
It tends to be American kids, discovering the joys of T/Ts and records for the first time, that use the term. Check out the Steve Hoffman forum, where the term is widespread! :)

Marco.

Qwin
04-06-2014, 09:43
Ali - These days if its said often enough it becomes a word and given dictionary space. :rolleyes:

Mark - You beat me to the point, "record" usually means recording, though it might have originally meant to make a record of the moment ? Would be interesting to know the origin of the term.

I use all the different descriptive terms depending on the mood, but would not add an "s" to vinyl.

YNWaN
04-06-2014, 10:02
Vinyls may not officially be a word now, but give it another year it will be - language, spoken and written, is a fluid construct.

I don't use the word vinyls either as it sounds odd to me - I don't have an issue with it though, it's too minor.

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 10:18
Yes, well aware of that thanks. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Beobloke
04-06-2014, 11:58
The items are records. The stuff they're made from is vinyl.

End of discussion. :D

PaulStewart
04-06-2014, 12:23
It tends to be American kids, discovering the joys of T/Ts and records for the first time, that use the term. Check out the Steve Hoffman forum, where the term is widespread! :)

The items are records. The stuff they're made from is vinyl.

End of discussion. :D

+1 to Adam's definitions, Marco we will alway be divided by a common language where the septic tanks are concerned :lol:

snapper
04-06-2014, 13:43
Buy your t-shirt here. (http://thepluralofvinyl.com/)

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 13:46
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fuzzy+warble

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 13:57
Nice one mate, didn't know that's where it came from.

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 13:58

:lol:

Funnily enough, I'd never heard of this "vinyls" thing until I read this thread.

Clive197
04-06-2014, 13:59
I always thought a CD was a disc!!

Ali Tait
04-06-2014, 14:00
Yep, and the vinyl was an album!

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 14:02
The run off area between the end of the record & the label that carries the Maxtrix numbers etc is refered to as Dead Wax.

shane
04-06-2014, 15:09
Different times, different ways. We called them records or LPs, because that's all there was. Then along came CD, MP3 et al, the world turned and a whole generation forgot. Now a new generation has discovered big black discs. Why worry about what they call them? Just be thankful that because of their growing enthusiasm, a medium once threatened by oblivion is thriving.

On a different note, If I want to catch a train, I go a railway station, which is next to a railway line. My kids go to a train station which is next to a train line. Where did that come from? For once, we can't blame our transatlantic friends; they call it a railroad...

The Barbarian
04-06-2014, 15:41
Nice one mate, didn't know that's where it came from.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?18037-What-s-your-new-Fuzzy-purchases

:eyebrows:

Clive197
04-06-2014, 16:12
The run off area between the end of the record & the label that carries the Maxtrix numbers etc is refered to as Dead Wax.

"Not a lot of people know that":scratch:

awkwardbydesign
04-06-2014, 16:13
My wife just pointed out that the plural of vinyl is albums! :kiss:

Yomanze
04-06-2014, 17:50
Records, LPs, 45s, tape, reel-to-reel, radio, FM, DAB, DAT, SACD, DVD-R, CD and files, easy. :)

Vinyls, if kids or adults are using these terms, then fine, who cares, they're (hopefully) listening to music! I used to be a music journalist & wow there was always a sub-genre and alternative term for everything. I used such terminology to relate my reviews back, didn't agree with them, didn't care, and people who get emotional about this stuff have issues.

jaym481
04-06-2014, 18:51
"Albums" are the books with pockets that the 10 or so individual 78rpm records (shellacs??) go in. Vinyl is for lining shelves.

I don't think it's a uniquely American phenomenon, this "vinyls" thing. I hear and read it enough in the UK.

I don't particularly care anyway, just as I don't care when the apostrophe is mis-used (though the first thing that runs through my head when someone posts something like "look at me new speaker's" is "your new speaker's what?") I still call my "turntable" a "record player" since it also has a pickup arm and a cartridge, as well as a turntable.

walpurgis
04-06-2014, 19:16
Blimey Jay. You sound like my dad used to and I'm a lot older than he got to be. ;)

Floyddroid
08-06-2014, 20:44
There really is more to life.
I am a member on an Australian forum, and this thread started.
It got real ugly with people making harsh comments.
Even putting up pictures of people who they thought would buy a vinyl!
Hipsters as they called them.
What are your views on this ?
You don't hear your vinyl collection often, we'll I don't .
To me it's my record collection.
I work at a school and the kids say I purchased a vinyl .
But they say, if it's more than one it's Their record collection.
I don't think it matters as it's a vinyl record!
Lets hear what you all think.
cheers
Ek

struth
08-06-2014, 20:52
in terms of record vinyl, i'd say the plural would remain the same as the singular.....was easier when young, they were all just called records....now I think i'll have a listen to some shellacs':mental: