PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Someone Here Say To Me....

icehockeyboy
01-06-2014, 12:34
That it is better to not have your kit between your loudspeakers?

I've just read an article, won't tell you where! that contradicts that.

Wakefield Turntables
01-06-2014, 12:39
Look on YouTube and you see lots of systems with the speakers slightly to the front of most racks. Some people prefer no equipment in between, personally, I can tell when I have too much equipment in between my speakers in that the soundstage seems compromised. I dont really think it matters that much and the changes I notice are only small. Again I think it's another discussion that could probably become quite emotive and pointless, a little bit like some of the cable discussions I've read and have stopped commenting on.

Barry
01-06-2014, 13:18
That it is better to not have your kit between your loudspeakers?

I've just read an article, won't tell you where! that contradicts that.

Why won't you tell us?

Personally I think if you have anything between the speakers, the speakers ought to be forward of the object.

icehockeyboy
01-06-2014, 13:26
Why won't you tell .

Cos it as in Russ Andrews magazine! :rolleyes:

Macca
01-06-2014, 13:32
My kit is between the speakers but 5 foot behind. I don't think it does anything detrimental sat there. Like Andy says having the rack of kit right up between and level with the speakers might be slightly detrimental but nothing worth losing sleep over unless you have perfected everything else already. What does make a big detrimental effect IME is having a sofa, a comfy chair or a big solid sideboard or cupboard between and level with the speakers. That is to be avoided if possible.

DSJR
01-06-2014, 13:51
I found in the dem rooms I worked in that having gear-in-racks between the speakers and more or less in line with them is a bit of a no-no for the reasons given by Rexton above. I don't practise what I'm preaching here as the Spendors are either side of an old Panny widescreen CRT TV.

I think some enthusiasts still tend to have a Hifi Shrine set up where all who enter the 'temple' bow to the gear on display displayed in front of them. Those with partners do seem quite often to make the gear as discrete as possible and there's nothing wrong with that in my book if this is possible.

If the speakers can be brought forward a little from the plane of the racks/gear in between, then I'm sure this would be ok in the most part. Turntables in corners, or between bigger speakers, are a different matter entirely though in my book.

trio leo
04-06-2014, 10:11
I had my system to the left side of the room as I sat facing the speakers, one day I lowered the stylus onto a still record, then turned up the volume until feedback started at about 9 o' clock, I moved the whole system between the speakers and tried again, this time feedback occurred at 1 o'clock, a massive difference in volume and higher than I normally play it.

So I have left the system between the speakers, I do appreciate it could be room anomalies peculiar to my system, but it sounds great to me, now I want to reduce things down so that I only have 1 stand of equipment in the middle.

enjoy your music :)

regards Al

Yomanze
04-06-2014, 11:09
When I first moved into my house I was immediately put back by how audible the in-wall fireplace was to the sound. I covered it with acoustic panels & voila things back to how I wanted them. Very similar thing with a huge TV in between the speakers. I prefer having my gear to one side of the HiFi for the same reasons as REXTON in that I find stuff in between it can disrupt the soundstage or even tonal quality (stuff interacting with the space in between the speakers)...

agk
05-06-2014, 18:27
Meh.

Yomanze
06-06-2014, 08:26
Meh.

Thanks for that helpful contribution.

Floyddroid
08-06-2014, 20:31
Welcome home Peter Belt.