PDA

View Full Version : Mail On Sunday vinyl feature

Haselsh1
12-07-2009, 09:08
Has anyone seen the Mail On Sunday's 'Live' magazine feature on vinyl production in the UK. It was a very interesting article on 'real' music reproduction and how it is thriving.

:gig:

SteveTheShadow
12-07-2009, 13:21
Want to read it online?

Go here:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1198335/How-Britain-got-groove-back.html

Steve

Spectral Morn
12-07-2009, 14:55
Want to read it online?

Go here:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1198335/How-Britain-got-groove-back.html

Steve

Thanks Shaun and Steve for that.

"Sound quality matters".....lets hope that those words, if nothing else hit home. Very interesting read, and all test pressings are auditioned via a Garrard and Tannoy speakers..... I wonder what the electronics are.

Regards D S D L

Barry
12-07-2009, 15:18
A Garrard direct drive? The only direct drive Garrard of sufficient vintage would have been their first design. I doubt it was that. Suspect it was a 301 and the reporter for the Mail got it wrong.

Thoroughly agree about the art work. Regardless of what one thinks about the sound quality of CDs; that horrid little booklet they fit into the equally horrid jewel case, is no vehicle for the wonderful artwork that was on the LP sleeve. I'm sufficient an anorak, that I have four or five books on LP sleeve artwork.

And CDs don't smell like vinyl either!

REM
12-07-2009, 15:30
And CDs don't smell like vinyl either!

Ah yes the great smell of vinyl, one guy likes it so much he maned a record label after it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Records

:smoking::smoking::smoking:

ps; check out the link to the Lee Hazelwood section.

Haselsh1
12-07-2009, 19:08
I like the way they are quoting ownership of a tangible piece of art over an MP3 download as a reason for youngsters getting into vinyl. The cardboard sleeve, the artwork and the need to spin the disc between your hands is a damn good reason for getting into vinyl. As has been said, how can a nasty little booklet and a cheap polycarbonate case compare...???

Beechwoods
12-07-2009, 19:27
The cardboard sleeve, the artwork and the need to spin the disc between your hands is a damn good reason for getting into vinyl.

Absolutely. I've been getting into indie 7" and flexi-singles recently. The DIY artwork and labels, and the 'uniqueness' of them is a real attraction not found in other media (though mini-CD's do have a certain something too :)).

I also like vinyl that came in wrap-around paper sleeves, poly bags and the like. There's definite pride of ownership with things like that.

Beobloke
13-07-2009, 11:32
A Garrard direct drive? The only direct drive Garrard of sufficient vintage would have been their first design. I doubt it was that. Suspect it was a 301 and the reporter for the Mail got it wrong.

401 actually. And Mrs. B was highly amused at me swearing at the very same statement!

UPDATE - had a closer look at the picture online and it appears it ISN'T a 401. I'm intrigued now..........