PDA

View Full Version : Bi-amp speaker cable

CageyH
30-05-2014, 08:49
Now that I have a plan for my interconnects, I hope that this one is much simpler.
I am currently using Van Damme tour grade 4 x 2.5mm2 speaker cable. The way that I currently have my room laid out means I am using 10m runs.

So, I am thinking that reducing the cable run by changing my room layout slightly may help increase the sound quality. To my ears it sounds pretty good at present, but I have nothing to compare it to. The other thing is that at the moment my speaker cables run past a load of mains cables for my PC as this all set up in my man cave. Rearranging the room would also remove this aspect.

The speaker cable will join my Arcam Alpha 8 and 8P to my Cyrus CLS70 speakers. So, without spending stupid money, can anybody recommend a better cable than my VD that will work in 5m runs? Would there be a downside to using a 2m run for one speaker and 5m for the other? I can't get my rack in the centre of the speakers easily. The man cave is a compromise.

Beobloke
30-05-2014, 12:22
2.5mm2 cable is plenty for the lengths you're talking about and so changing to a different speaker cable will give you "different" and not "better". Personally, I'd spend the budget on more music!

As to the 2m and 5m length disparity between channels, this is fine.

DSJR
30-05-2014, 14:33
May I add that just shortening the cables by this amount can't be a bad thing, surely? :)

Mark Grant
30-05-2014, 14:41
Cut them down so they fit and see what it sounds like, then if you do compare different makes at least they will be of similar lengths.
Don't worry about 2 metre or 5 metre odd lengths

If you worry about it do at test, cut one of your 10 metre cables into 2 x 5 metres and the other into 2 metre and 5 metre pieces and see if the odd lengths make a difference.