PDA

View Full Version : ZYX R100-02H - worth the wait? Oh yes!

worrasf
28-05-2014, 17:00
My ZYX R100 has finally arrived after an almost 6 month wait but oh boy it was worth it :)
My thanks to Paul at Reffc for his advice (and persistence).

Hand built by Mr Nakatsuka he is clearly proud of his work. The Zyx comes with a "proper" instruction/owners manual in a very sturdy box all presented in a twee soft fabric bag :drool:

It was with some trepidation that I set about installing it in the Schick graphite headshell. Even though as the blurb points out this is the basic model in the series £800 plus sovs is still a lot of dollar and I was in no rush to FUBAR it :eek:

Setup was surprisingly easy (or maybe I'm getting practiced). Set VTF to the recommended 2g and away we go.

This cartridge is like nothing I have heard before (clearly I have limited experience but I've heard/owned a few). First impressions - wow!. Fast, clean, detailed, powerful. It gave me the same impression as when I first heard my Decca Blue compared to other MM carts I had heard - in fact the sound is quite reminiscent of the Decca in its' energy and presentation but is way more detailed, open and natural sounding and with a much wider soundstage.

Bass is stunningly deep. What strikes me the most though is that instruments sound far more natural than with any other analogue or digital source I have heard. It’s like for years the tone/timbre has not been “quite right” but I think the brain compensates but somehow you know that there is something just a little off from the live sound but hard to pin it down. With the Zyx things just sound more as I remember the “real” instruments do.
The presentation is "powerful" but not shouty or "in your face". You can "feel" the chimes on Dark Side and their "tang" is just perfect. Its clean and precise and already there is low-level detail not previously heard.

I’ve only played Rodrigo y Gabriela and a bit of Pink Floyd, Nina Simone and some Flamenco so far but I am really really pleased and so glad I hung on for it.

I think things can only get better :cool:

Steve

Ali Tait
28-05-2014, 17:41
Nice one Steve, looks good.

baron
29-05-2014, 19:35
Yes Steve its a very nice cartridge, quite a few people on this forum use ZYX cartridges. I use one in my Man Cave:)

walpurgis
29-05-2014, 19:50
Yup. I've got one and the regular R100 and an R50 Bloom H.

They are each different sounding. I just took mine out of my arm a few minutes ago to try out an Ortofon MC25FL I just bought (another lovely MC). As you indicate the R100 H2 comes as a bit of a shock compared to most MCs, with its lightning speed and masses of detail. The soundstage is superb too. Decca users know this kind of presentation, I now prefer the ZYX sound myself. It's the ideal MC for Decca fans (I used Deccas a lot). The cheaper R50 Bloom, if anything has a heftier and bigger sound, but not quite as much top end analysis. It's very nice though.

Actually, I've now been using my new (second hand) MC25FL for a while and it's definitely up there with at least the R50 Bloom, quite similar in balance and depth. Very nice.

(a bit later) Now the system has warmed up more, I have to say this Ortofon is sounding astonishingly good. Must do a direct comparison with the ZYX R100 (not H2, which sounds different), I doubt there's much in it..

Reffc
29-05-2014, 22:21
Glad you like it Steve. As Geoff says, the zyx range all sound a little different but all seem to share that wonderful natural presentation (mid range especially) and I'd agree that the R-50 Bloom has a little more heft. Personally, the 50 remains one of my all time favourite carts.

walpurgis
29-05-2014, 22:32
One thing I forgot to mention about the ZYX MCs, is the seemingly total lack of colourations. With most cartridges you are aware of their presence and the effects they produce in the sound. But with ZYX MCs, that doesn't happen. You suddenly realise that you are just listening to music without a thought of the system. It's a remarkable ability.

walpurgis
31-05-2014, 16:38
Last night I took my ZYX R100 out of the arm and mounted my ADC 10E Mk.II for a listen. Although the ADC is very pleasant to listen to, I was struck by the surface noise, not a characteristic I'd recalled. So back in went the ZYX and what do you know? A silent background once more. I've noticed this before with ZYX MCs, particularly the R50 Bloom, they are very quiet in regard to surface noise, in fact the only other MC I've come across that did this so well was the sweet little Denon DL-160.

Reffc
31-05-2014, 17:19
Agreed Geoff. The lack of surface noise is very welcome with Zyx. It's little things like that (and there are a lot of those "little things" with Zyx) that add up to a cart many would find hard to swap out for anything else. Once heard, forever smitten.

DSJR
31-05-2014, 19:05
My ZYX R100 has finally arrived after an almost 6 month wait but oh boy it was worth it :)
I think things can only get better :cool:

Steve

About bloody time Steve. I bet you couldn't go back to that Dynavector 20 thingy now ;)

Absolutely agree regarding the Decca similarity. Brand X on vinyl hadn't sounded as good in years.

worrasf
03-06-2014, 10:30
About bloody time Steve. I bet you couldn't go back to that Dynavector 20 thingy now ;)

Absolutely agree regarding the Decca similarity. Brand X on vinyl hadn't sounded as good in years.

:ner:

It is rather good though.

Just a shame I'm not getting enough free time to listen to it at the moment :(

Steve

DSJR
03-06-2014, 18:08
... But look at the wonderful job you and colleagues do. I know you guys need to wind down as well, but the joy of putting people right must help ease the tension I hope? Deep :respect:

worrasf
03-06-2014, 18:48
... But look at the wonderful job you and colleagues do. I know you guys need to wind down as well, but the joy of putting people right must help ease the tension I hope? Deep :respect:

:peace: