PDA

View Full Version : JC's musings about this and that

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 11:13
[Moved from 'Marco's tube rolling and valve power amp adventure' thread]

:)Didn't know your stuff was Chinese, still I suppose it's difficult to find a proper British manufacturer, with a factory in the UK, who make proper "british" hifi like it's supposed to be. Have you looked around ? there is one left, they might even let you be a dealer.:)

pure sound
18-03-2008, 11:34
Its designed here & made there. But why would I want to sell AV1 anyway JCB? I've actually heard it now;) I already sell a range of better (& more accurate) loudspeakers!

(Incidentally there are still several other competent British manufacturers some of whom do really care about sound quality)

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 12:05
:)Oh dear oh dear, I assume you're referring to the Heco's !

IIRC they went bust because they only made out of date "junk" (thats a jc tech term):)

Then they got pulled out of the ashcan by some "entrepreneur" who thought it was a good idea to resurrect 1950's technology at fancy prices, to take advantage of the "retro" market.

Unfortunately the sound and performance is "retro" too, they might be ok on a puny valve amp that puts out about 1 watt before it's well into distortion and clipping, but if you give them a proper signal from 250w of clean modern muscle, the drivers will "fry".

Hifi choice gave a good review but we all know about magazine reviews and their motivation.

No thanks, I'll stick to something I trust. ;)

pure sound
18-03-2008, 12:55
Interesting, you know less about the company making them now than you think. (Where's this 'entrepreneur' bit from?)

The Klippel system they use is a remarkably effective tool in the development of accurate drivers. BTW do AV1 use it?

I suspect you haven't heard any of the current models.
Just talking out of your backside as usual!

250W of Clean, modern, muscle LOL! I presume you mean this.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/pure_sound/ADM9amp.jpg

Renders everything else obsolete!

You really aren't serious about sound JCB. Stick with flogging Ashley's wares to those who know no better :)

(btw Ashley. Strictly speaking those brown & blue wires should have a second layer of insulation over them to comply properly with the LVD.)

Steve Toy
18-03-2008, 14:02
You really aren't serious about sound JCB. Stick with flogging Ashley's wares to those who know no better

Aye.

pure sound
18-03-2008, 14:38
Quite true Anthony. You either have to have people sitting on production lines over there doing the QC as production happens or otherwise apply 100% QC on what comes here when it arrives.

NRG
18-03-2008, 15:45
Interesting, you know less about the company making them now than you think. (Where's this 'entrepreneur' bit from?)

The Klippel system they use is a remarkably effective tool in the development of accurate drivers. BTW do AV1 use it?

I suspect you haven't heard any of the current models.
Just talking out of your backside as usual!

250W of Clean, modern, muscle LOL! I presume you mean this.

Renders everything else obsolete!

You really aren't serious about sound JCB. Stick with flogging Ashley's wares to those who know no better :)

(btw Ashley. Strictly speaking those brown & blue wires should have a second layer of insulation over them to comply properly with the LVD.)

What is that? Looks like a chip based amplifier....

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 22:40
You guy(s) are not only confused you must think every one else is as well !

You seem pretty worried to me, by any remarks or observations which don't fit your personal sales curriculum.

Lets get this straight, You guy(s) are the traders, admittedly varying from back-bedroom ebay variety, to struggling shopkeeper, and I'm the customer !

It's what I decide to purchase that decides your fate, not the silly sales pitch that you play out in your fantasies.

Get real chaps, while you're theorizing about silly concepts and out of date failed designs, the rest of the world is passing you by and getting on with hifi in it's current incarnation.

Digital librarys and active speakers with dacs in, and getting rid of all the old clutter of deeply unfashionable techy boxes and ugly old speakers. You can't alter the market needs, by trying to hold back the waves of change like Cnut.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 22:46
Nrg, thats a photo of the rectifier board for the power supply you silly boy ! :lol:

There's no chip amp in there I assure you.:)

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:01
Steven, I haven't included you as a trader, although you have picked up some odd beliefs.

Mike
18-03-2008, 23:04
You guy(s) are not only confused you must think every one else is as well !

You seem pretty worried to me, by any remarks or observations which don't fit your personal sales curriculum.

Lets get this straight, You guy(s) are the traders, admittedly varying from back-bedroom ebay variety, to struggling shopkeeper, and I'm the customer !

It's what I decide to purchase that decides your fate, not the silly sales pitch that you play out in your fantasies.

Get real chaps, while you're theorizing about silly concepts and out of date failed designs, the rest of the world is passing you by and getting on with hifi in it's current incarnation.

Digital librarys and active speakers with dacs in, and getting rid of all the old clutter of deeply unfashionable techy boxes and ugly old speakers. You can't alter the market needs, by trying to hold back the waves of change like Cnut.

Why do you constantly feel the need to attack/mock anyone and everything that does not conform to your view of the 'AVI flavoured' world?

It's terribly transparent, and somewhat sad really.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:10
I think I'll start a new thread on this topic of traders needing to supply current market requirements.

IMO successful businesses supply what people want to buy. Not try to talk them into some expensive unnecessary items that the customer didn't want in the first place.

Mike
18-03-2008, 23:12
I Not try to talk them into some expensive unnecessary items that the customer didn't want in the first place.

What... Like an iPod and 'speakers with DAC's in for instance?

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:17
Why do you constantly feel the need to attack/mock anyone and everything that does not conform to your view of the 'AVI flavoured' world?

It's terribly transparent, and somewhat sad really.

Pardon me Mike, I was under the impression that you and the others were attacking me :confused:

I'm not sad, I'm perfectly ok. I don't understand your meaning by the use of "transparent" ? I'm certainly not trying to disguise the meaning of anything I wish to say, nor am I trying to obscure anything. My meaning should be perfectly plain and obvious at first sight !

"Lucid" is the word I think you were searching for :scratch:

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:20
What... Like an iPod and 'speakers with DAC's in for instance?

Well the sales figures for those items have been rather large for the last seven years or so, or hadn't you noticed :eyebrows:

Mike
18-03-2008, 23:21
Not at all!... I mean it is 'transparent' that you would like us all to buy into your view of how 'Hi-Fi' should be.

And it is 'sad' that you are unable to accept that anyone else's view could be 'correct'.

Mike
18-03-2008, 23:23
Well the sales figures for those items have been rather large for the last seven years or so, or hadn't you noticed :eyebrows:

I couldn't give a toss!

I'm not selling anything. I'm buying.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:28
Not at all!... I mean it is 'transparent' that you would like us all to buy into your view of how 'Hi-Fi' should be.

And it is 'sad' that you are unable to accept that anyone else's view could be 'correct'.

Of course, from what you have said so far, you haven't come to terms with the changes, and are living in the last century. You *need* the help :)

You will lose the sad feeling when you "come out" of denial, and are able to survive in the community on an equal footing. ;)

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:30
Do you have a laptop Mike ?

Mike
18-03-2008, 23:40
Yes I do.

Look, I 'came to terms' with digital many years ago. My current day job is largely involved with digital transmission, so I'm pretty much 'up to speed' you might say.

I just have no interest in having anything else digital other than a CDP (actually a universal player in my case) and DAC in my Hi-Fi system. So please stop trying to convert me into one of your disciples!

And if you claim that you do not try and convert people, may I, for example, draw everyones attention to post #16 in the following thread:

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107&page=2

Night Night for now, it's getting late.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:44
Ok Mike, if you wish me to offer help on computer music bits, please ask, you can always ignore me, but I can usually suggest some topics or devices to consider for low cost experimentation.

Regards, JC.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:49
Ahhh, I see you are referring to the post to Sastusbulbas, He and I are "old adversaries" and I know he is nowadays keen to develop his interest in computer music stuff.

It was in fact a comment made as an "in joke" between him and me, but nevertheless it was good advice for that heap of old stuff that he plays about with. He should get a life.

jcbrum
18-03-2008, 23:51
Mike if it is of any interest to you, you may like to peruse this page.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/4001

Have a look on pinkfish for BobMaximus's remarks. He bought one on my advice and was very surprised and pleased.

leo
19-03-2008, 02:03
Nrg, thats a photo of the rectifier board for the power supply you silly boy ! :lol:

There's no chip amp in there I assure you.:)

So whats the devices bolted to the underside of the pcb ?
Looks like a plate amplifier to me and the cap and resistor between the cable looks like the zobel

pure sound
19-03-2008, 08:06

Are you sure JCB? That looks like a 2 channel amplifier to me including outputs (red/black for LF, yellow/blue for HF) and the grey ribbon for the RC sensor?

You aren't technically minded are you?

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 08:30
Is your last sentence a statement or a question ?

NRG
19-03-2008, 08:33
Are you sure JCB? That looks like a 2 channel amplifier to me including outputs (red/black for LF, yellow/blue for HF) and the grey ribbon for the RC sensor?

You aren't technically minded are you?

No but he is a patronising poodle.

Marco
19-03-2008, 08:50
jc, don't take the piss ;)

Marco.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:02
Sorry Marco, but when one is up to ones arse fighting alligators, taking the piss is better than being personally, offensively, vulgar.

I shall try and be more sophisticated with my piss taking technique.

Marco
19-03-2008, 09:11
Indeed. Can you be even more sophisticated and simply stick to the subject under discussion without the need for any piss-taking? ;)

That applies to everyone.

Cheers.

Marco.

pure sound
19-03-2008, 09:13
Is you're last sentence a statement or a question ?

Both?

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:15
Nrg, there is no piss taking in this remark,

The only chip on that board (apart from the obvious dil thingies) is the rectifier.

Incidentally AVI tell me they tell me that opening ADM9's is forbidden on safety grounds because the amps are high voltage ones.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:16
Both?

Can't be both, doesn't make sense. Choose.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:19
;)Marco, I don't know what the topic of this thread is ! you started it for me ! I can only go by the title ! I muse on, therefore !;)

pure sound
19-03-2008, 09:19
Anything with over 32V exposed (I think) is deemed 'high voltage' under the LVD JCB.
But of course you'd know that being technical 'n all!

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:22
Their terms not mine ps.

Marco
19-03-2008, 09:23
Marco, I don't know what the topic of this thread is ! you started it for me ! I can only go by the title ! I muse on, therefore !

This is 'your' thread - just like Richard has one. Discuss whatever you like, but play nice! ;)

Marco.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:24
PS, do you do any amps > 30w ? genuine question.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:25
Ahh, but he's got a 'sticky'

pure sound
19-03-2008, 09:27
There is a product currently being developed that will be.

Marco
19-03-2008, 09:28
If this thread becomes interesting enough it'll also be made into a 'Sticky'.

At the moment, though, it's looking unlikely! ;)

Marco.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:29
Valve or SS ?

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:31
Yeah, i need some brighter opposition.:)

Marco
19-03-2008, 09:34
Valve or SS ?

Valve or SS what? The subject matter for your thread?

You choose! But just get bloody on with it ;)

Marco.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:36
I've got to break off soon and load up tons of old network stuff which is filling up my storage room, how about we have a party, with 2 or 3 "guest" hifi sets to try out, sometime soon ?

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 09:55
Marco, V or SS, was directed at PS, but you got in the way and deflected the shot.

Marco
19-03-2008, 10:05
That's why unless it's blindingly obvious whom your comments are directed at it's best to quote the person's comments you're replying to before posting ;)

Marco.

pure sound
19-03-2008, 10:17
Valve or SS ?

Valve.

Steve Toy
19-03-2008, 10:35
Ahh, but he's got a 'sticky'

Marco, like minds and all that... Stickies have to be earned.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 10:44
Then I don't want one, I'm not here to submit myself for approval by you lot, I'm here to lift the posts to a higher plane, and bring enlightenment, and have fun.

I get all the "need to earn" from wifey, and lots of discipline, and I definitely wouldn't marry you Steven, attractive as you are, in a "punk" sort of way.;)

Oh bugger, can we have the wink and smile smiley on the quick post bit please Marco.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 10:48
Valve.

Oh dear, wassamatta, don't do SS ?, quote: "You aren't technically minded are you ?"

To quote Prince Charles, "whatever that means" ;)

NRG
19-03-2008, 10:48
No but he is a patronising poodle.

Poodle! :doh: Is that all the mods could come up with? Somehow it lacks the dramatic impact and incisive truth of the first word I used. :lolsign:

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 11:05
quite, "Richard Head"

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 11:05
oh bugger forgot the ;) again.

Marco
19-03-2008, 11:43
I'm here to lift the posts to a higher plane, and bring enlightenment, and have fun.

Indeed - and what a fantastic job you're doing! [no smiley needed here, I would hope].

Bugger it, here's one anyway: :ner:

Marco.

pure sound
19-03-2008, 12:11
Oh dear, wassamatta, don't do SS ?, quote: "You aren't technically minded are you ?"

FYI I have been involved with SS products in the past. However, I don't feel any desire to do them now. There are plenty of other companies (including Richard's) doing them perfectly well at the moment anyway.

I'm still amused that you couldn't recognise/didn't know what that pcb was;)

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 12:17
You're amusement is misplaced, but you're welcome any way, seeing as you've never seen one.

IIRC that photo was taken in Finland and is the type1, they're on type2 now, and type3 shortly, Ash will fill you in on the developments, if it's off the secret list.

Anyway you shouldn't go looking inside things you don't understand.

pure sound
19-03-2008, 12:33
IIRC that photo was taken in Finland and is the type1, they're on type2 now, and type3 shortly, Ash will fill you in on the developments, if it's off the secret list.

Obviously a well sorted design. Version 3 already! Owners of versions 1 and 2 will be thrilled.

Ashley James
19-03-2008, 12:42
Version 1 USB DAC 1 analogue input, Version 3 Optical digital with 24/96 DAC and one analogue input, Version 3 not ready yet 2 optical digital inputs and one analogue. Also optional coaxial digital input for Pro Sector.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 12:46
They are ! they are all delighted, see the comments on the website, talk to the successful dealers, ignore the detractors, they're just pissed off 'cause their stuff can't compete.

http://www.avihifi.com/

V1 = usb, record facility for digitizing vinyl, currently available, inc analogue mixer.

V2 = optical toslink, no record, inc analogue mixer and toggle input select.

V3 = even better and more exiting, tba.

(door opened, foot in);)

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 12:48
oops, posts crossed sorry Ash, your is the "official"version.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 12:52
P.S. Yes it is a well sorted design, mine are absolutely superb, I bet they give Marco's spkrs a run for the money ! (£999 incidentally all in) inc lunch if you have a factory demo! :) :cool: :ner:

Marco
19-03-2008, 12:55
Can we, just for a brief millisecond, not revolve the discussion around AVI?

jc, let's have a bit of lateral thinking and imagination! ;)

Marco.

snapper
19-03-2008, 12:58
P.S. Yes it is a well sorted design, mine are absolutely superb, I bet they give Marco's spkrs a run for the money ! (£999 incidentally all in) inc lunch if you have a factory demo! :) :cool: :ner:

...and £9.99 if you don't have lunch.

Steve Toy
19-03-2008, 15:44
It is indeed often said that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Ashley James
19-03-2008, 15:49
It would be handy if it revolved round anything!

JC is a Computer music Expert and could answer all sorts of questions that might be helpful for a start.

shane
19-03-2008, 16:03
Ashley, just to clarify matters, could you tell us all exactly what the circuit board in that photo is?

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 16:51
Ashley, just to clarify matters, could you tell us all exactly what the circuit board in that photo is?

Ahh ! you have to buy them to find that out, and then you can dismantle your own. :)

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 16:56
Can we, just for a brief millisecond, not revolve the discussion around AVI?

jc, let's have a bit of lateral thinking and imagination! ;)

Marco.

What do you wish to think laterally upon Marco ?

Computers old or new, sound cards, laptops or towers as fileservers, getting going in a digi-library at minimal cost ?

Transcribing 78's ?

I saw a nice Goldring-Lenco in a plinth in a dealers yesterday for £75, inc arm and cartridge.

Ashley James
19-03-2008, 17:08

I thought we'd finished with ADM9s!

It's the Master Amp Plate of the version with an optical digital input and the speakers belong to Finbred who's been the victim of an attack on Wigwam for being delighted with them and preferring them the the very much more expensive system they replaced.

The piggy back board you can see left is the preamplifier, DAC and micro-controller, underneath it is a 4th Order electronic crossover and to the right the power supply and the two power amps.

Mike
19-03-2008, 19:30
So!... there is an amp or two in there then? :lolsign:

shane
19-03-2008, 19:36
I thought we'd finished with ADM9s!

It's the Master Amp Plate of the version with an optical digital input and the speakers belong to Finbred who's been the victim of an attack on Wigwam for being delighted with them and preferring them the the very much more expensive system they replaced.

The piggy back board you can see left is the preamplifier, DAC and micro-controller, underneath it is a 4th Order electronic crossover and to the right the power supply and the two power amps.

Thank-you, Ashley.

sastusbulbas
19-03-2008, 19:57
Ahhh, I see you are referring to the post to Sastusbulbas, He and I are "old adversaries" and I know he is nowadays keen to develop his interest in computer music stuff.

It was in fact a comment made as an "in joke" between him and me, but nevertheless it was good advice for that heap of old stuff that he plays about with. He should get a life.

Hello JC,

I was unaware of you seeing me as an "old adversary" with regards to our different opinions on other forums.

I should I feel point out music and computers have always been around me an interest and use has always been there, what I am keen to develop is an idea of what people are currently doing, using and enjoying. What media players and sound cards people prefer etc. An area I do think of as worth investigating is a PC for HD up-sampling and storage of DVD for movie streaming.

Your comment regarding your post as an "in joke" between you and me seems contrary, as I was it appears the butt end of your personal attack on my own choice of ancillaries.

I also found the "He should get a life" quote rather personal and insulting. Can you elaborate on that? Can you tell me what you think I do for a living and what sort of personal life I have?

What sort of life should I get?

Steve

Ashley James
19-03-2008, 20:37
Steve - Have you got a PS3 yet? They stream video to more than one TV with ease and they now play DIVX etc.

I'd tell JC to Piss Off and that he should become a Naturist.

NRG
19-03-2008, 21:38
.... to the right the power supply and the two power amps.

Thank you Ashley, so there is an amplifier in there, no doubt bridged by the look of it to get the power output.

JC is a bigger patronising pri** ooops sorry, poodle than I first thought.

Ashley James
19-03-2008, 21:43
Thank you Ashley, so there is an amplifier in there, no doubt bridged by the look of it to get the power output.

Not bridged and there are two Amplifiers, both have 2 x 16 Amp 160 Volt Bipolars, one on 50 volt rails and the other 25, which equates to 250 and 75 Watts RMS given the drive unit impedances. They are biased to run at the same temperatures.

NRG
19-03-2008, 21:49
Thanks again Ashley.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 22:32
Sastus I was pulling your leg, but you know that, wondering if it would draw you out of the woodwork.:)

Surely you remember the post on pf where you spent half the night posting tons of pics of your kit with the lid off. :lol:

I agree I laughed at your "big-old-legacy-boxes" and your mega-rant that followed, but I was quite worried about you afterwards.

I assume we are "friendly" adversaries nowadays.

As for get a life, anyone who spends their free time on forums and plays with old hifi, needs to get out more. I keep telling myself this. ;)

regards JC.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 22:40

JC is a bigger patronising pri** ooops sorry, poodle than I first thought.

:lol: If you aren't sufficiently familiar with components to recognize a rectifier chip when you see one right next to a transformer and a couple of great big caps, then you sure aren't clever enough to guess "by the look of it" whether it's bridged or not.

Maybe you're one of those "valve" fellows, who doesn't recognize anything designed in the last 50 years. ;)

Anyway you seem well pissed off ! Er, sorry about that. :lol::lol::lol:

Mike
19-03-2008, 22:44
Oh thats it!

Now you are REALLY talking shite!... you were the one who said there was no amp in there!

Idiot :mental:

I'm outa here.....

Marco
19-03-2008, 22:44
Oi, jc, behave!

Maybe you're one of those "valve" fellows, who doesn't recognize anything designed in the last 50 years.

You know the irony here is that us young folk are being criticised by a couple of old codgers for using old-fashioned hi-fi!

Does it make you granddads feel 'young and hip', or something, being so 'into' computer audio, etc? ;)

Marco.

NRG
19-03-2008, 22:58
:lol: If you aren't sufficiently familiar with components to recognize a rectifier chip when you see one right next to a transformer and a couple of great big caps, then you sure aren't clever enough to guess "by the look of it" whether it's bridged or not.

Maybe you're one of those "valve" fellows, who doesn't recognize anything designed in the last 50 years. ;)

You really are a tosser. You said there was no amplifer there and yet there is, take your patronising attitude and get a life.

I'm out of here.

Marco
19-03-2008, 23:03
Neal,

Don't be like that, please :)

Marco.

WikiBoy
19-03-2008, 23:04

From this post you obviously don't know what bridging is. Please explain the function of an amp bridge, what it means, what it means in terms of driving a loudspeaker, What are the ramifications for the amp circuit when it is bridged and how it effects its ability to drive current across the load.

If you are struggling you may find the basics at Wiki.

But one thing for certain it has absolutely nothing to do with, and I quote "-a rectifier chip when you see one right next to a transformer and a couple of great big caps" and what the hell those components have to do with recognising if an amp is bridged or not.

I await with baited breath to gain some knowledge.

jcbrum
19-03-2008, 23:56
You guys have got all knotted up for nothing,

IIRC without going back and looking at the thread, NRG rather disparagingly said it looked like a chip amp.

The only "chip" in the pic was the rectifier which is easily recognizable by an engineer due to its proximity to the transformer and smoothing caps. It is not possible to see the amplifier main components, because they are underneath the board in question. I referred to the "chip" and associated components as the "rectifier board" to test the water, as anyone very familiar with circuits would have said "wheres the power amp then"

If you can't identify the rectifier, and have to keep asking what it is, then I rather think it proves my point, that you would have no chance of identifying a "bridge" circuit from that photo, and that was the second wild, incorrect assumption.

I agree that my deliberately confusing reply was a bit pathetic, but I expected you to be better at correct id of the circuit, than actually happened. Sorry about that. I should have helped you a bit more. :)

Richard I'm not struggling with the theory and I'm sure you aren't either, I'm sorry too that you've got so upset about things. I'm not trying to take over the forum, I've posted very little today, and am only trying to have a bit of fun really.

I think your amps are not for me though, but I am very picky.

WikiBoy
20-03-2008, 00:17
You guys have got all knotted up for nothing,

IIRC without going back and looking at the thread, NRG rather disparagingly said it looked like a chip amp.

The only "chip" in the pic was the rectifier which is easily recognizable by an engineer due to its proximity to the transformer and smoothing caps. It is not possible to see the amplifier main components, because they are underneath the board in question. I referred to the "chip" and associated components as the "rectifier board" to test the water, as anyone very familiar with circuits would have said "wheres the power amp then"

If you can't identify the rectifier, and have to keep asking what it is, then I rather think it proves my point, that you would have no chance of identifying a "bridge" circuit from that photo, and that was the second wild, incorrect assumption.

I agree that my deliberately confusing reply was a bit pathetic, but I expected you to be better at correct id of the circuit, than actually happened. Sorry about that. I should have helped you a bit more. :)

Richard I'm not struggling with the theory and I'm sure you aren't either, I'm sorry too that you've got so upset about things. I'm not trying to take over the forum, I've posted very little today, and am only trying to have a bit of fun really.

I think your amps are not for me though, but I am very picky.

You haven't answered my questions - you of course don't have to as it is a test and I am sure you are scared to fail it.

More arsholeness - since when is a rectifier a chip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come on smartarse what is a bridge rectifier and what does it have to do with a bridged amplifier circuit.

sastusbulbas
20-03-2008, 01:34
As for get a life, anyone who spends their free time on forums and plays with old hifi, needs to get out more. I keep telling myself this. ;)

regards JC.

I myself do not feel I spend a lot of time on forums, unless nursing injury, sickness or when looking after the kids or downloading music or working at the computer, or getting too interested in forum threads which should not be that interesting.

As for getting out more, well my two kids and wife keep me busy (one 4yr old and the other 2yr old, wife is 32yr old), this has cut my interest in outdoor sports activities, audio, health/fitness and socialising, of which I used to do plenty of. But a worthwhile sacrifice. (I will again have more time when the kids are older)

Currently I spend a lot of time working too, anything between 7.5 to 11h a day up to 6 days a week, with not many fixed days off as such and plenty of weekends. So when I get home between 1830h and 2130h vegging out in front of the computer seems about all I can be bothered with at times (TV is so rubbish, though I do enjoy the occasional film), and as I leave in the morning anywhere between 0700h and 0900h and cycle to and from work (40min each way regardless of weather), where "sometimes" I use weights (mainly strength/pyramid work) or do some bag work (6 5min or 10 3min intervals) or running (I try and keep my runs to 45min) instead of taking a full lunch break, and as I am on my feet for most of the day and quite busy and am nursing injury at times, well a nice cold beer or a whisky mac in front of the computer reading forums at times hits the spot and takes my mind of other subjects.
I think I need to spend more time in bed though (I am getting too old for it all at 36yrs).

Most days off are not any quieter, though there are occasions, what with shopping, taking kids to nursery and playgroup and spending quality time with them, catching up with friends n such, (my last day off which was monday past, that day was spent at an AGM meeting (work) which lasted from mid morning to late afternoon, with the rest of the day and most of the night in a few pubs with work colleagues).
As you can see I get limited time to browse stores for albums on LP, cassette, or CD, or more old HiFi anymore.

As I am up at 0630h I guess I better hit the scratcher.

:)

jcbrum
20-03-2008, 01:39
Richard, the bridge rec's I use look just like a chip amp, except they have 4 legs instead of about 7.

You know that a bridge rec is four diodes connected in a square or "ring", with 2 anodes at one junction and 2 cathodes at the opposite junction. These junctions provide the DC, and the AC input from the transformer goes onto the other two junctions. Another name is a "full wave rectifier" circuit. In valve designs it was common to achieve the same full wave rectification with only two diodes, often in the same glass envelope, and use a centre-tapped transformer secondary winding. This is actually two half wave rectifiers running 180 degrees out of phase and gives a smaller average voltage than 4 diodes in a bridge on a single un-tapped winding. The reason is the area under the curve of the waveform is larger with four diodes. Inductors are not commonly used in the associated regulation circuit but were considered "de-luxe" 50 years and more ago. These days circuits are generally much lower impedance and capacitors are used commonly as "reservoirs" to hold up the current waveform and prevent large voltage swings between load conditions. There is a 90 degree phase difference between voltage and current amplitude plots, but all this is heavily modified nowadays by the effect of IC regulators and feedback techniques. (that is power supply regulator feedback technique, - nothing to do with feedback applied to the audio amp itself).

None of the above has anything to do with a "bridged amplifier" which is a technique used to connect two power amps together at the output stage so as to cause them to "load share" correctly and achieve double the power (approx) into any given load, It is not a wholly effective technique, and usually introduces undesirable characteristics.

jcbrum
20-03-2008, 01:42
Ok, Sastus, I remember being that age with a young family. Although it seems tough you should keep going. With a family the first thirty years are the worst.

Ashley James
20-03-2008, 08:41
Richard you need your own personal space! On the Planet Zog.

Pointless ranting isn't interesting, it's you who needs to say something constructive or shut up!

Marco
20-03-2008, 08:51
Guys,

I won't say it again. Mind your language and cut the personal insults. You're all intelligent enough to get your point across without resorting to invective, so wise up or the thread gets locked and some people may be on a week's ban!

Marco.

sastusbulbas
20-03-2008, 08:55
Ok, Sastus, I remember being that age with a young family. Although it seems tough you should keep going. With a family the first thirty years are the worst.

I fully intend to keep going and support my family Brum, unlike many out there.
As for tough, well that's all personal opinion. The only tough thing about family is how one accepts their responsibility.

All the best for now.
Steve

jcbrum
20-03-2008, 09:15
Whilst we are on a technical note, I was interested to read the following report from a contributor :-

"Then Tony tried these Black Ravioli thingies under my preamp that lifted its feet off the glass shelf by about an inch and everything just snapped into focus. Suddenly the top end really opened up giving rather impressive front-to-back soundstage depth and harmonic decay that was previously missing. "

Wow I thought ! I must try some of this. I diligently searched wifey's cupboards but nowhere could I find any Black Ravioli. Almost ready to give up and accept that the finest tweak of all had eluded me, my gaze fell on a wondrous sight. There in the back of the fridge was a few inches of "Black Pudding".

I proceeded to cut off some 1" slices, whilst wondering how to fit them under my pre-amp. No luck. I couldn't even find my pre-amp :scratch: all I could see was one optical lead going from my mac mini straight into the speakers (adm9's), so I decide to adapt the method and install the Black Pudding slices under the Mac mini.

The effect was stunning. I played "night on a bare mountain" and the effect of the swirling music, and the aroma of the black pudding, was overwhelming. within about ten minutes I was completely unable to resist, and had obtained two slices of "white crusty" and some "whole grain mustard". Quickly placing the black pudding directly into contact with the bread I ate the resulting sandwich while listening to "the entertainer" by Scott Joplin.

Never before or since has an "audiophile tweak" so fulfilled my needs. ;)

Ian Walker
20-03-2008, 21:53
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa........Steve.......STEVE no need to hide under the stairs mate!