PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store drivers?

bwr827
27-05-2014, 13:27
I'm planning to store a set of Tannoy Monitor Gold 12" drivers and crossovers for a year, maybe more, until I can find some time for a DIY cabinet project. What's the best way to protect drivers like this?

Pic of one of the drivers. (http://imgur.com/ximpjPQ)

Tannoy Support recommended keeping them "dust free face up in a cool dry place." After further research online, I've got the following:

Face up
In bags
With a dessicant packet
In boxes for additional protection
In a cool dry place

Anything I'm missing?

walpurgis
27-05-2014, 16:00
I've got a stored pair of Tannoys. Mine are just bolted face to face and kept in a box indoors. I turn them over every six months or so to allow for suspension sag.

The Black Adder
27-05-2014, 16:07
I'm planning to store a set of Tannoy Monitor Gold 12" drivers and crossovers for a year, maybe more, until I can find some time for a DIY cabinet project. What's the best way to protect drivers like this?

Pic of one of the drivers. (http://imgur.com/ximpjPQ)

Tannoy Support recommended keeping them "dust free face up in a cool dry place." After further research online, I've got the following:

Face up
In bags
With a dessicant packet
In boxes for additional protection
In a cool dry place

Anything I'm missing?

Keep away from other objects that have magnetism and do not drop/shock them. Other than that it sounds fine.

StanleyB
27-05-2014, 16:19
The way we were told to store the drivers at our repair center was to have the magnet facing downwards and the voice coil upwards.

bwr827
27-05-2014, 17:15
Thanks, all!

Naughty Nigel
28-05-2014, 08:22
How would they be 'stored' in a loudspeaker cabinet?

Magnet down makes most sense as the driver will be most stable that way, but I would put something strong (plywood) over the face to protect the cone.

Nigel.

The Barbarian
28-05-2014, 14:27
Quite a funny thread to say you drive units spend their lives fitted into you speakers on thur sides.. I must learn to remove the Loudspeaker from it's stand & lay it on it's back over long periods doing nowt

:D

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 15:17
When you are using your speakers the drivers get exercised. But when you are not using them for an extended period of time, the paper cone types, especially the ones above 8", tend to sag downwards and can cause the voice coil to eventually be off centre. That can cause all sorts of problems later on.

Ninanina
28-05-2014, 21:45
My Klipsch Heresy are 'new-old-stock' and they have been stored in their boxes, upright as usual

The 12" fiber-composite bass driver is perfect having been stored this way

The tweeter and mid range are horn loaded and are also perfect but they have such a small diaphram that I think you could store them anyway you liked and it wouldn't affect them