PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 147: 27/05/2014: The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

Album Club
26-05-2014, 23:02
Paul (Loo) has been patiently waiting for his turn at Album Club after a bit of a cock up on the organisation front. It should have been last week and the mix-up was entirely my fault. So apologies to Paul in addition to thanks for providing us with his choice of album for the week.
As usual, please listen to the entire album before voting.

The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

Hello, this time round I have chosen the classic The Velvet Underground Loaded

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/loonieboo1/loaded_zpsf0d37aac.png (http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/loonieboo1/media/loaded_zpsf0d37aac.png.html)

spotify:album:4BOaL1TOarypViTKNrcP8d

The album (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Loaded/162689) on Grooveshark. (This is an expanded version - tracks 1 - 10 constitute the original release).

Loaded was the Velvet Undergrounds fourth Album released in November 1970 and probably their most commercial effort.
The Title comes from Atlantic records asking the band for an album loaded with hits, and Lou Reed certainly showed he could write a catchy tune or ten, every track is a songwriting masterclass.

The Velvet Underground (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Velvet_Underground) on the Wiki.
The album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_(The_Velvet_Underground_album)) on the Wiki.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Cheers
Paul

mr sneff
27-05-2014, 21:46
One of the great things about Spotify is being able to re-explore things you've not heard for years and to listen to albums that you always meant to hear, but never got around to. The Velvet Underground is one of the groups that passed me by first time round. Given how influential they're supposed to be I must say that, for me, they in no way live up to the hype and expectation. Lou Reed must have one of the most ridiculous voices in rock. Personally I've always found British and European music of that era far more innovative than much of what came out of the USA;
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Soft Machine - Third (1970)
Faust - first album (1971)
King Crimson - Lizard (1970)
Can Tago Mago (1971)
So it's a 2/10 from me :(

MikeMusic
28-05-2014, 07:49
6/10

Good enough to buy.
I find there are really great tracks of theirs scattered around the albums

My first Velvets LP was The Story of ... with the wonderful Sister Ray - not for the faint hearted.
The Velvet Underground & Nico has that but also the not funny to me "The gift"

Bazil
28-05-2014, 12:32
I know the album cover well enough but never inquired about its contents, although I do have "Sweet Jane" on a best of type album.
Its starts off pretty good but I find a few of the later tracks so-so but it finishes with a cracker of a song the Hey Judesque "Oh! Sweet Nothing" which on its own is enough for me to try and find an original vinyl copy , 8/10.

loo
28-05-2014, 14:25
Firstly I must apologise for the cant be arsed introduction ,I had to submit my choice shortly after out cat passed away so I was not really focussed
on my Album club entry .
Glad that Baz and Mike got something from it , Mike the Album with sister Ray and the Gift is white light/white heat another gem:)
Sorry to Mr Sneff I guess after 44 years it was never gonna live up to expectation, I will ignore the Lou Reed comment:eyebrows:
Well if ever I needed a 9.9 on the pole this is it ,Just cant quite justify 10 so its a big 9 for me
cheers Paul

mr sneff
28-05-2014, 14:56
Firstly I must apologise for the cant be arsed introduction ,I had to submit my choice shortly after out cat passed away so I was not really focussed
on my Album club entry .
Glad that Baz and Mike got something from it , Mike the Album with sister Ray and the Gift is white light/white heat another gem:)
Sorry to Mr Sneff I guess after 44 years it was never gonna live up to expectation, I will ignore the Lou Reed comment:eyebrows:
Well if ever I needed a 9.9 on the pole this is it ,Just cant quite justify 10 so its a big 9 for me
cheers Paul
Expectation was maybe the wrong word, but I certainly found it disappointing and ordinary. I wouldn't be too dismayed at the Lou Reed comment if I were you, there aren't many male vocalists that I really rave about, I much prefer female vocalists. Now, when it comes to the Velvet Underground the best thing to come out of the group was (an it's only an opinion of course) was Nico. The Marble Index is an extraordinary record which sounds as fresh today as when it was first released. This is not only because of Nico's voice but, in no small part, because of John Cale's arrangements.

Barry
29-05-2014, 19:32
Agree entirely with Dave!

Too commercial and and a big disappointment. I love their early stuff: 'White Light White Heat' and the "banana" album, but this is pretty anodyne, save for the track Mary Jane.

Sorry 5/10, and that's being generous.

The Black Adder
29-05-2014, 19:41
The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

A classic for me... I've been a velvets fan since the early 90's and saw them in London in 93. I have every album... Loaded is a superb spin - Yes it's more commercially tuned but Doug Yule did a great job in the space of John Cale. It's more like a Lou Reed album in a way, I like it.

10/10

loo
30-05-2014, 12:54
Wow thanks Joe my first ever Album Club 10. I totally agree about Doug Yule he
Wasn't too bad on the drums either standing in for Maureen Tucker.
Sorry it wasn't for you Barry , isn't Mary Jane a euphemism for grass though:eyebrows:
Cheers
Paul

The Black Adder
30-05-2014, 13:02
no probs... 'Sweet Jane' is a top track, what a riff and love 'Train round the bend' too... it chugs along superbly.. great album.

Barry
30-05-2014, 15:47
Haha - I thought "Sweet Jane" was "Mary Jane"(a euphanism for marijuana, as you rightly say) in disguise.

losenotaminute
30-05-2014, 19:06
I enjoyed this album, not quite the originality of Lou Reed's Transformer, but still holds up very well given the fact it came out in 1970. I am voting 7.

high.spirits
03-06-2014, 08:55
Good choice Paul.
I enjoyed moist of the tracks on this album, a couple I just not get into even after a couple of listens. 7/10

johnB
04-06-2014, 19:34
Lou Reed - nuff said.

Sweet Jane followed by Rock & Roll, great songs.

Loaded gets 8/10 from me......now if it was White Light, White Heat it would be a 10. (Sister Ray)

Nice one Paul.

John

The Black Adder
04-06-2014, 19:40
Lou Reed - nuff said.

Sweet Jane followed by Rock & Roll, great songs.

Loaded gets 8/10 from me......now if it was White Light, White Heat it would be a 10. (Sister Ray)

Nice one Paul.

John

Spot on... Love WLWH... Top album.

ruleof72
07-06-2014, 00:59
I like Lou Reed as a solo artist and there were a couple of songs on this album that were good but overall the album gets a 6 out of ten for me. There just weren't enough tracks that made an impact. I will listen to some more of their albums though and see if my opinion changes.

loo
08-06-2014, 12:25
Thanks everybody for your comments and votes
Glad to read it hit the spot for most listeners ;)
cheers
Paul