PDA

View Full Version : Caiman MKII DAC surfacing in June

StanleyB
26-05-2014, 12:23
After a lot of hard work in getting the design completed, I am pleased to announce the arrival of the Caiman MKII DAC in June.

http://www.beresford.me/images/DAC/TC-7534/TC-7534 F2-900.jpg

Expected online price is going to be around £225 to £250 plus VAT and shipping for EU based orders. AoS members outside Europe are looking at around U$400 plus shipping. But AoS members who have bought a DAC directly from me will be eligible for free super speedy* delivery for a limited period irrespective of their location. To qualify, you need to send me a PM. No other form of communication will be accepted as qualification for the AoS discount.

Each Caiman is being hand assembled and individually tested. There is only enough time to assemble fifty pieces for the first delivery from the factory. So anyone considering getting their hand on a Caiman MKII is invited to send me a PM to register their interest. This is not a commitment on your part to actually buy a Caiman MKII, but you'll at least get a chance to make a final decision when the time comes.

* Super speedy delivery means same working day dispatch for UK and EU member states if ordered before 1PM. Your order would normally arrive the next working day if you are in the UK or within three to five days if you are anywhere else in the EU.
For North America, Asia, and Oceania orders have to be in by 7.00AM GMT for same working day dispatch. Orders would normally arrive at its final destination within five days if you are in North America, Oceania, Singapore Hong Kong. It could take a bit longer to clear Customs if you are anywhere else.

kininigin
26-05-2014, 12:47
Hi Stan,

Good luck with the Caiman MKII,i'm sure it will do well :) Just a quick question,is this basically a Bushmaster with different features?

StanleyB
26-05-2014, 16:30
Just a quick question,is this basically a Bushmaster with different features?
Hi Darren, far from it. The Bushmaster uses a 24 bit DAC chip, 10% precision SMD caps and resistors, and 150μVrms low noise regulators.
The Caiman uses a 32 bit DAC chip, 1% precision caps and resistors, and 500nVrms ultra low noise regulators.

kininigin
27-05-2014, 21:16
Hi Darren, far from it. The Bushmaster uses a 24 bit DAC chip, 10% precision SMD caps and resistors, and 150μVrms low noise regulators.
The Caiman uses a 32 bit DAC chip, 1% precision caps and resistors, and 500nVrms ultra low noise regulators.

I see what you mean! I'm sure you said to me some time ago,to hold on till the Caiman MKII to comes out,before i bought the Bushmaster! I got impatient didn't i :lol: Well if it sounds better than the Bushmaster (which i've not heard with a battery supply) then it will be very good indeed!

StanleyB
27-05-2014, 22:05
I see what you mean! I'm sure you said to me some time ago,to hold on till the Caiman MKII to comes out,before i bought the Bushmaster! I got impatient didn't i :lol: Well if it sounds better than the Bushmaster (which i've not heard with a battery supply) then it will be very good indeed!
It is a simplification of the ultimate DAC that I promised to design some years ago. The absolute maximum shipping weight of 2Kg is one reason that I had to go SMD in large parts of the circuit. The WIMA/Nichicon caps version was a lot more money for insignificant gains. I'll leave that for those with soldering skills as a DIY project in the future. Maybe we can call it the SEG MKII: the overnight build :lol:.

brainz2000
29-05-2014, 19:49
Thanks for allowing us to join a list...
Bump ...

StanleyB
13-06-2014, 07:33
The Caiman MKII is now finally shipping. And I can now disclose a bit more background info behind this DAC.
Some years ago a couple of Caiman DAC owners on AoS asked me about making a statement DAC. I promised to look into building a statement DAC as far as all out sound quality is concerned. It is the only area of the design where no compromises would be made. The end result is now available as the Caiman MKII.

The Caiman MKII removes the dry digital sound so many of us are all too familiar with, giving you a sound signature so much more admired by VFET and MOSFET amplifier owners. That kind of sound can best be described as fast and accurate with good slew rate, whilst at the same time warm and analogue sounding without the slowness and higher distortion of a valve stage.

For more info and ordering options, visit my main site at www.beresford.me
AoS members who have previously bought a DAC from me direct can qualify for free shipping for a limited period. PM me in that case.