PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever create MASH UP system?

Wakefield Turntables
24-05-2014, 19:49
I was watching an advert on TV with some kids "mashing up" lyrics. I thought thats inspiring lets create a MASH UP system. I'm listening to Led Zeppelin II through the following MASH-UP system

Tannoy 15" MG + Extrinisc RFC x-o's
Black Rhodium twist speaker cable
Sansui AU 717 integrated
Teac VRDS 25X CD player
Pure AV silver IC's
Dynalab FT101A tuner
Mark Grant IC's

I think I will leave this in place for a while and get some fun from it. Do you guys ever do anything similar?

Mr Kipling
24-05-2014, 21:22
Er, in a word, Andy - NO.

walpurgis
24-05-2014, 21:48
I'm better acquainted with 'lash up' systems. ;)

Wakefield Turntables
25-05-2014, 08:27
Er, in a word, Andy - NO.

:) No worries, I only did it for a little fun out of boredom last night.

I'm better acquainted with 'lash up' systems. ;)

Aha! Someone else who loves messings around swapping boxes!!

Gordon Steadman
25-05-2014, 09:22
I just go into another room.

We have five working systems so no need to mix and match:smoking:

walpurgis
25-05-2014, 09:28
We have five working systems so no need to mix and match:smoking:

Surely five sets of system components gives you all the more opportunity to mix & match Gordon? :)

Mr Kipling
25-05-2014, 11:39
What would the permutations work out at?

Couldn't be arsed meself. I'm getting real lazy.

Andre and Jerry wear me out.

Gordon Steadman
25-05-2014, 12:21
Surely five sets of system components gives you all the more opportunity to mix & match Gordon? :)

Life is too short, I have all this music to listen to (or to which to listen)

I must admit that the bits in what will be the lounge when I finally get round to the ceiling, the wall, the floor, the stairs and the decorating are subject to change, I have another pair of speakers coming soon of course (see DIY)

The bedroom systems just fit their spaces so they won't get changed.

Who knows, I might get in the mood for playing at some stage, for the mo its music, music, music:cool:

Gordon Steadman
25-05-2014, 12:22
What would the permutations work out at?

Couldn't be arsed meself. I'm getting real lazy.

Andre and Jerry wear me out.

I hate to think:eek:

Mr Kipling
25-05-2014, 12:57
Any sign of your reward from Stanley B. for the headphone amp naming? No sign of mine yet. Probably not had the time to despatch.

Gordon Steadman
25-05-2014, 13:07
Any sign of your reward from Stanley B. for the headphone amp naming? No sign of mine yet. Probably not had the time to despatch.

Indeed, I've been looking out for a Bushmaster in the post but nothing as yet:scratch:

Floyddroid
26-05-2014, 15:28
And what better reason to do it? Fun. That's what it's all about.
:) No worries, I only did it for a little fun out of boredom last night.

Aha! Someone else who loves messings around swapping boxes!!

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2014, 18:48
Well the "mash-up" system is still in place. It sounds very good at low levels and makes me appreciate just how good vintage Sansui amps can be!

Macca
26-05-2014, 18:56
Just had a glance around at what I have in the room here at the moment

Speakers - 4 pairs
Integrated amps 5
CD players (working) 6
CD players (not working) 2
Power amps 2
Turntables 2
Preamps 3

Which would give me 4x5x6 working cd player/integrated amp mash ups = 120 possible combinations! And that is before you get to experimenting with cables...

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2014, 19:09
Just had a glance around at what I have in the room here at the moment

Speakers - 4 pairs
Integrated amps 5
CD players (working) 6
CD players (not working) 2
Power amps 2
Turntables 2
Preamps 3

Which would give me 4x5x6 working cd player/integrated amp mash ups = 120 possible combinations! And that is before you get to experimenting with cables...

Blimey look's like I'm a novice in the art of lash/mash up systems :youtheman: !!

Macca
26-05-2014, 19:19
Blimey look's like I'm a novice in the art of lash/mash up systems :youtheman: !!

I'm just a beginner compared to Audio Al. :)

In any case you are far more hardcore as you have not one but 2 amazing systems and still lash up ancient Sansui stuff to dusty old Celestions just for a laugh. Respect!

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2014, 19:48
I'm just a beginner compared to Audio Al. :)

In any case you are far more hardcore as you have not one but 2 amazing systems and still lash up ancient Sansui stuff to dusty old Celestions just for a laugh. Respect!

Shooks! :o

Floyddroid
26-05-2014, 19:51
The Sansui 717 was my first real hifi amp. It is still in use today at my cousins house. I would love to see some pictures of your mash up system.
Well the "mash-up" system is still in place. It sounds very good at low levels and makes me appreciate just how good vintage Sansui amps can be!

walpurgis
26-05-2014, 19:54

I wondered why you'd included the Sansui. Not knocking it, many seventies Jap amps can sound remarkably good (despite usually needing better speaker terminals). I've always favoured Luxman, Trio and Sansui, you can include the American branded, Japanese made Harman Kardons too.

Macca
26-05-2014, 20:04
I have an HK930 sat here waiting for a go in the rack. It has separate pre/power sections :)

Wakefield Turntables
26-05-2014, 20:34
The Sansui 717 was my first real hifi amp. It is still in use today at my cousins house. I would love to see some pictures of your mash up system.

OK, here we go!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/WAKEFIELDAUDIO/DSCN1357_zps34e8a7ac.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/WAKEFIELDAUDIO/media/DSCN1357_zps34e8a7ac.jpg.html)

I cant quite get it all in but you should be able to see the big tannoys and xternal xo sitting on top on the Lancaster cabs. You can see the Sansui sitting on the floor in the middle of my main rack. You'll probably see a Dynalad tuner sitting in the corner.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/WAKEFIELDAUDIO/DSCN1359_zps95f387aa.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/WAKEFIELDAUDIO/media/DSCN1359_zps95f387aa.jpg.html)

This is a close up of my main rack and shows off most of my kit except the valve stuff.

Hope this quells your mash-up system pic's urge..... :thumbsup:

I wondered why you'd included the Sansui. Not knocking it, many seventies Jap amps can sound remarkably good (despite usually needing better speaker terminals). I've always favoured Luxman, Trio and Sansui, you can include the American branded, Japanese made Harman Kardons too.

Its a long story, but, my mate had a Sansui system when we were students and it's simply a trip down memory lane. I bought this one for less than £200 with some other bits with the right channel not working £120 later with Nick Gorham and it now works. I flogged the other bits for £100 so the amp owes me about £100 all in. I've refurbed her a little and will probably do some recapping and install some proper solid copper binding posts to x1 speaker terminals and to the AUX and Tuner inputs. She's a keeper and sounds very good indeed with Tannoys. I've never tried Luxman or Trio, maybe at some point in the future. ;)