PDA

View Full Version : Flash flood

Gordon Steadman
24-05-2014, 19:04
Good grief.

We have just had a new roof fitted and as we had to replace some guttering, took the advice at the builders's merchants about the size.

So yesterday, the heavens opened and guess what! The gutters overflowed in about five minutes, filled up the patio outside our back door up to about a foot. Buckets and mops fought a losing battle and the kitchen suffered a bit. Took the plinths straight off before the water rose too high. Luckily, the rain stopped after about ten minutes and so there I was outside with a bucket baling like mad until the level dropped below the floor.

Floor looks jolly clean.

Weather patterns are definitely getting wierd.

After all that, I though I'd have a calm day today. I agreed with my wife that the only thing I would do outside was mow the grass. She forgot to mention that most of the 4 hectares would be left to grass (hear that Marco - FOUR HECTARES:lol:) Calm maybe but somewhat time consuming.

walpurgis
24-05-2014, 19:31
Not a roofing expert, but I'd imagine, depending on roof area and pitch, there's a formula for the size of gutters, downpipes (and their number) and even drain gullies.

Gordon Steadman
24-05-2014, 19:40
Not a roofing expert, but I'd imagine, depending on roof size and pitch, there's a formula for the size of gutters, downpipes (and their number) and even drain gullies.

Yeah. They looked it up on their big chart on the wall. The main roof has the biggest they do and even that was overflowing so I'm not really blaming them just having a moan. Its his fault upstairs for turning the tap on full instead of a nice steady flow:(

Ronnie is pleased as it watered the garden nicely and makes digging easier for her, never mind the kitchen floor that took me bloody ages to lay:steam:

Love her really:)

sq225917
25-05-2014, 09:15
There was a stretch of water two foot deep and seventy by thirty foot wide that just appeared on the main road outside work yesterday in about an hour. There was at least a dozen idiots in cars tried and failed.