PDA

View Full Version : How much do you value your HIFI?

Sovereign
24-05-2014, 08:46
About six months ago or so I went down the DIY route, tinkering with my speakers and making a stunning DIY DAC, I have loved the process and there is massive satisfaction in the constant improvement of sound as you tinker away. However I have come across a few problems which are beyond my limited knowledge and I have had to send various bits to helpful people to fix, and as a result I have been without my hifi for about a month.

Work is ferociously busy which keeps me distracted in the evenings. The wife seems more happy as I spend more time with her, but at the end of the day I am really looking forward to getting my hifi back together and relaxing in front of good music and an excellent sounding system. I am an extremely busy person and my life is not all about my system but I guess it plays an important role in my life and something I am really passionate about. I find it hard to listen to music outside of my system as it always sounds thin and lifeless. Maybe we are all spoiled, I'm not sure but I do know I'm very much looking forward to getting my hifi back!!!

Firebottle
24-05-2014, 09:49
Maybe we are all spoiled, I'm not sure but I do know I'm very much looking forward to getting my hifi back!!!

All spoiled?..........maybe, I think educated in the appreciation of your music sounding good (or insert your own word to match your systems performance).

I personally feel sorry for people who don't realise it's not that difficult to achieve good sound, if only they looked beyond all the latest 'gadgets'.

Enjoy your system when you get it back James :)

Alan

MikeMusic
24-05-2014, 14:20
Not sure how I'd cope

That is way too long for me.
Just as well I have loads of spare kit to sub in when anything is being fixed

dantheman91
24-05-2014, 14:25
Mine plays music :yesbruv:

I wouldn't cope without it................

walpurgis
24-05-2014, 15:08
I love my Hi-Fi. I have it sounding just the way I want, so not much changes in the system. I've heard systems costing hundreds of thousands of pounds, but to me mine sounds stunning.

Sovereign
24-05-2014, 16:46
Just as well I have loads of spare kit to sub in when anything is being fixed
Cheers for making me feel better :rolleyes::)

awkwardbydesign
24-05-2014, 18:02
I personally feel sorry for people who don't realise it's not that difficult to achieve good sound,

Alan
I must be doing it wrong then! :doh:

Barry
24-05-2014, 18:12
My system is so important to me; it is in use for several hours a day when I am at home.

I simply couldn't bare to be without it, so I too, have a large amount of spare equipment to call upon if anything needs to be repaired.

r100
24-05-2014, 18:31
my stereo has always been among the three items first installed after a house move. the other two being the bed and a table

MikeMusic
25-05-2014, 10:19
my stereo has always been among the three items first installed after a house move. the other two being the bed and a table
Stereo first

You can do everything else with music playing !
:)

jandl100
25-05-2014, 10:33
Cor - I would hate to be without a decent music system for any period of time. A month? :eek: - never. It would drive me bonkers.

Like others here, I always have enough spare kit around to be able to piece something decent together - it doesn't have to be as good as my Big Rig, just good enough to enjoy the music. Headphones are a good thing - I've been doing a fair amount of phones listening of late and they are an excellent fallback.

Naughty Nigel
25-05-2014, 21:11
Maybe it is good to use a 'lesser' system for a while, or even to be without a working system altogether, so you appreciate what you have when you get it back?

I seem to have acquired one or two spare amplifiers, speakers and tuners and CD players recently so I am never without altogether. Its also good to swap components around from time to time.

Nigel.

f1eng
26-05-2014, 11:44
I listen to music a lot of the day.
I only concern myself about sound quality if something draws attention to itself.
About every 5 or 10 years I used to have a blitz of reading about anything new and arranging home demos of stuff which seems interesting.
Then I do SQ listening tests very carefully at matched volume levels.
My main criterion of good kit is that I find I have forgotten I was supposed to be listening for SQ and come to the end of the CD.
If I find something I like I buy it, otherwise not, so some of my kit goes on for 5, 10 or 15 years maybe longer.

Since I retired I have more time for dicking about so I have listened to more kit over the last 4 years but only found 2 things worth buying.
I actually hate listening for SQ improvements with a passion.

Sovereign
07-06-2014, 21:45
Well my HiFi is up and running, kind of.
My DAC is fixed and I'm using a borrowed T amp from Love23 and all is sounding brilliant.
I should receive delivery of my new amp some time late next week which I'm hoping will make one helluva difference !
Great to have music back in my like !

struth
07-06-2014, 22:20
Don't know what I'd do without good music well reproduced tbh...It is helping me no end in my fight for health. Even the wife has seen the benefits in me. whether it is attitude, or more fight I don't know, but it is working, and never felt better psychologically. the search for the perfect system is fun too...long live this and other such forums, and all that live within.:)

Sovereign
07-06-2014, 22:24
That sounds good Grant, all the best with your health!!

Audio Al
07-06-2014, 22:37
I make time to listen every day
It's a big part of my life that I enjoy immensely :)

RichB
07-06-2014, 23:47
I love my main system and it would be missed but even if all I had was the Yamaha mini system in the kitchen or my AKGs and the tablet I'd hammer those instead!

I'm fortunate enough to own 5amps of various kinds, 4 different pairs of speakers, 3 DACs, 3 computers, 2 turntables, 4 pairs of headphones and a CDP. Then there's a PA system I can use if I had to. Guess I'll never go without music.

Expect if I could never own another system I'd probably play my guitar more and make my own music that way.

Gordon Steadman
08-06-2014, 05:35

Sod the bed and table.

I only buy houses that will give me a decent space for the music.
The last time I broke up with a long term partner, the first things that went into the car were the Quads and the Leak and as much software as I could get in. I went back for the less important stuff later.

I now have a wife who values it as much as I do. In fact when faced with the necessity of raising a bit of cash, she objected to selling any of the hi-fis and said that there must be another way than selling even the least used bits:)

I guess the music rates as quite important.

Sovereign
08-06-2014, 06:11
Sound like you married wisely mate !
My wife likes the fact that I'm passionate about something, but she deffinately thinks I'm a wee bit bonkers :-)

Gordon Steadman
08-06-2014, 06:26
Sound like you married wisely mate !
My wife likes the fact that I'm passionate about something, but she deffinately thinks I'm a wee bit bonkers :-)

I think my wife would agree with your's on that point then:lol: