PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 146: 22/05/2014: Harry Nilsson - The Point! (1971)

The Grand Wazoo
21-05-2014, 21:18
This week, we've got an album choice from Dave (synsei). Thanks Dave.
As usual, please listen to the album in full before placing your score on the poll.

The Point!
Musical Album by Harry Nilsson (1971)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/Harry_Nilsson_The_Point.jpg

spotify:album:3ito7dmiUAHfTAWZb7KpSx

The Point! (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/The+Point/3529342) Album on Grooveshark

The Point! is a fable and the sixth album by American songwriter and musician Harry Nilsson about a boy named Oblio, the only round-headed person in the Pointed Village, where by law everyone and everything had to have a point.

Oblio has had to wear a pointed hat since birth to conceal his "pointless" condition from his pointy-headed peers. However, Oblio is accepted in the town despite his nonconformity until one day when the son of an evil count is unwittingly dishonored by Oblio. The count's son challenges Oblio to a one-on-one game of Triangle Toss where participants catch triangles on their heads. Oblio wins with the help of his dog Arrow. In a fit of rage the count, who wants his son to rule the land one day, confronts the good-hearted but timid king to reaffirm the law of the land, which states that those who are pointless must be banished from the kingdom and into the Pointless Forest. A jury reluctantly convicts both Oblio and Arrow leaving the king no choice but to send the pair away.

Oblio and Arrow are sent to the Pointless Forest, but soon discover that even the Pointless Forest has a point. They meet curious creatures like giant bees, a "pointed man" pointing in all directions who proclaims "A point in every direction is the same as no point at all", a man made of rock, three dancing fat sisters, and the man made out of leaves who helps Oblio see that everyone has a point, though it might not be readily displayed.

Oblio and Arrow spend the night in the Pointless Forest, then awaken to a large stone hand with the finger pointing to their "Destination Point". They take the road indicated by the hand and make their way back to the Land of Point, where they receive a hero's welcome from the land's citizens, and the king. Oblio begins to tell his story but is interrupted by the furious count, who is then silenced by the king.

Oblio tells the king and the people of the land that everything has a point, including the Pointless Forest, and himself. Angered, the count pulls off Oblio's pointed hat but is taken aback when he sees a point on top of Oblio's bare head.

Upon this revelation the points of everyone else in the land disappear and pointed buildings become round.

This album was given to me as a birthday present by my grandparents when I was wee 'un and I played it to death. The songs are fun and quirky, so typical of Nilsson's unique style, and yet it stands up to adult listening due to Harry's fine musicianship and his evocative vocals. Maybe it's just me but I swear I can detect in his voice the underlying anguish and doubts he struggled with for most of his short life, which gives this album added gravitas and thus it is a bitter/sweet listening experience for me.

The success of The Point! (especially in the US) spawned an animated feature based on the album and which was narrated by Ringo Starr, a link to which you can find below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjfKteUBa_s

I chose The Point! for this round of Album Club simply because it is so far removed from the norm therefore I thought it would make for a refreshing change. Incidentally I still own the original vinyl version bought for me by my grandparents as well as a digital download of the album. I commend it to the house... ;)

Bazil
22-05-2014, 19:51
Oh I wish I'd have known about this when my children where little, Dads get out there and buy it !
If I had of bought it and played it for my kids I'm sure this would have been a very nostalgic trip, but in the context of Album Club I find it err.... childish , "hey no shit Sherlock" I hear you shout :D.

I'm sure Roger Waters has a copy, listen to "Life Line" ;)

Very difficult to vote on this one, 6/10.

mr sneff
23-05-2014, 18:45
Blimey, a real blast from the past! I heard this when it was first released in 1971 when it definitely made a favourable impression. Never heard it since, so was intrigued to hear it again. Difficult to give it a rating, 6 or 7/10 for the music but maybe 3/10 for the narration which I now find a bit twee, so I'd give it 5/10.

ruleof72
24-05-2014, 02:43
I agree w/ mr sneff, a definite blast from the past. I remember a couple of the tracks, especially "Me and my Arrow". Most of the others I can't remember ever hearing before. The narration was a bit distracting but the music was generally light-hearted and fun/easy to listen to. Six out of ten for me.

losenotaminute
24-05-2014, 17:12
Sorry Chris but I couldn't get to the end of this, so can't really vote. I've switched back to the Cardigans Long Gone Before Daylight ;-)

Lawrence

The Grand Wazoo
24-05-2014, 20:34
It was Dave (synsei's) choice Lawrence.

high.spirits
28-05-2014, 20:24
A step back in time to my childhood.
I quite liked listening to this really quirky Nilsson album. As others have said difficult to score as so different to other albums in the Album Club. But for my enjoyment 7/10.
Thanks for the suggestion.