PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Upgrading from my Rega RP1 - Recommendations/Advice Please

cjm123
14-05-2014, 08:18
Hi Guys:),

I have had a Rega RP1 with Rega Carbon cartridge now for a couple of years and have been really pleased with it as it has got me interested in vinyl again so i am now thinking of upgrading to a better turntable. I have done the Rega White Belt change (good value, it gives more solid images) and the Rega 24V Motor Upgrade (reduces the noise floor) but any further upgrades to the sub-platter and outer platter e.g. Groovetracer mods would cost circa £400 after import duty and VAT that I suspect I wouldn't get back if I came to sell it and am not sure that acrylic platters couple with the record that well.

So I am considering a secondhand LP12s (I am told it has a soft/fat bass, is coloured and I would be at risk of catching Linn Upgraditis :( and it needing re-fettling and turning into a money pit?), Technics SL1210s (getting a good one which hasn't been up all night in a club for the last 20 years, replacing the arm and spares are worries) and I have recently been pointed to the Rega RP6 (bit unsure about the aluminium sub-platter cap on top of the standard phenolic resin sub-platter which seems to be the performance limiting component on the RP1 and RP3). It seems life is not simple:scratch:

I guess my budget is up to about £700-800 for deck, arm and cartridge.

Just wondered if anyone had some experience of these options and/or other recommendations?

Cheers:cheers:

Chris

hifi_dave
14-05-2014, 09:19
RP6 and forget about upgrading/tinkering - just enjoy the music.

vinyljunky
16-05-2014, 19:54
i have a rega rp6 fantastic deck does timing bass detail one with a dynavector works well as does a goldring also one with a nagako or ortofon if you like the rega sound its a no brainer plenty second hand with minimal use

Stratmangler
16-05-2014, 20:13
i have a rega rp6 fantastic deck does timing bass detail one with a dynavector works well as does a goldring also one with a nagako or ortofon if you like the rega sound its a no brainer plenty second hand with minimal use

any chance of editing this to make it actually readable ive managed to control many of my natural urges to correct peoples poor spelling on here but the quoted post doesnt qualify as english any more punctuation marks make all the difference even when theyre incorrectly used

hifi_dave
16-05-2014, 21:45
The price of the RP6 increases on the 1st June.

Andrei
16-05-2014, 21:47
Ok, I'll be the first to say it: grab yourself a Technics SL1200. These were designed as Hi-Fi decks so don't be put off by the fact they have become ubiquitous on the DJ scene. Time and again it has been noted that even unmodified these babies are good. The preferred model is the MK5g that would easily be in your budget. How soon will you get a hankering to upgrade again? If you are a tinkerer then the 1200 range will be appealing as the deck lends itself to many improvements. If you are not a tinkerer then a Rega or maybe Funk's LSD: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/funk-firm-little-super-deck-turntable/ and http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/vinyl-lp/30-turntables/613-funk-firm-little-super-deck.html

Clive197
17-05-2014, 08:15
My vote is for the Technics SL1210M5G. I traded in my Linn LP12 with Ittok LVIII last July and have never regretted it. The Technics has been modified with arm(Origin Live Silver),matt(Funk) and feet(Isonoe) and is far more involving and dynamic than the Linn ever was
I have so far resisted the more expensive upgrades that are talked about on this forum like external power supply, main bearing and platter but I'm sure I'll get the itch at some point.

Clive

.mus
17-05-2014, 09:00
Ok, I'll be the first to say it: grab yourself a Technics SL1200. These were designed as Hi-Fi decks so don't be put off by the fact they have become ubiquitous on the DJ scene. Time and again it has been noted that even unmodified these babies are good. The preferred model is the MK5g

Why's this?

If you want a 1200/1210 and you're not interesting in modding it, then the MK5G is probably the best choice. However, if you think you might want to upgrade the arm - and of course many do - I can't think of a good reason to pay more for the MK5G over the regular MK5 (or even the MK2, if it's in good nick). To my knowledge, the key area in which the MK5G offers an improvement over MK5/MK2 is the headshell/tonearm wiring and phono connectors (plus some mixing-related stuff which - I'm guessing - isn't relevant in this context), but obviously this won't hold if you upgrade the arm. What have I missed? :scratch:

chris@panteg
18-05-2014, 08:30
Why's this?

If you want a 1200/1210 and you're not interesting in modding it, then the MK5G is probably the best choice. However, if you think you might want to upgrade the arm - and of course many do - I can't think of a good reason to pay more for the MK5G over the regular MK5 (or even the MK2, if it's in good nick). To my knowledge, the key area in which the MK5G offers an improvement over MK5/MK2 is the headshell/tonearm wiring and phono connectors (plus some mixing-related stuff which - I'm guessing - isn't relevant in this context), but obviously this won't hold if you upgrade the arm. What have I missed? :scratch:

Nothing, if the op wants a fit and forget turntable then the RP6 would be a good choice, depends on what he wants.

Reffc
18-05-2014, 08:56
Nothing, if the op wants a fit and forget turntable then the RP6 would be a good choice, depends on what he wants.

+1

I'd steer clear of a used LP12...way to much of a gamble, fiddly to set up and can sound either sublime or very ordinary (or worse) depending on a myriad of variables which is what these can be all about.

Used recommendations: Technodeck; Funk Firm; Gyro SE; RP6; Clearaudio Emotion; Project Experience

All really decent sounding and capable decks; fit and forget; no upgrades needed (except for cartridge choice) and all affordable used in terms of your budget Chris (they are about but perhaps best described as not plentiful on the used market but worth holding out for if not in any rush). For cartridges, there's a fair few (used) that would be more than capable to get you started and an upgrade from where you are now. Think good MM like Goldring's 1042, Denon DL110, 10x5 (HOMC) or a good used Reson or Ortofon 2M Bronze.

You may find that used decks mainly come without carts which tend to be sold separately.

Then there's the Techy SL1200 (standard trim) as others have pointed out.

cjm123
18-05-2014, 08:59
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I am quite happy to do a little tweaking so I think I should try and get to listen to these decks before making a final choice.

My thanks again to one and all :)

Chris

fiddlemaker
18-05-2014, 09:01
+1

I'd steer clear of s uased LP12...way to much of a gamble, fiddly to set up and can sound either sublime or very ordinary (or worse) depending on a myriad of variables which is what these can be all about.

Used recommendations: Technodeck; Funk Firm; Gyro SE; RP6; Clearaudio Emotion; Project Experience

All really decent sounding and capable decks; fit and forget; no upgrades needed (except for cartridges choice) and all affordable used in terms of your budget Chris (they are about but perhaps best described as not plentiful on the used market but worth holding out for if not in any rush). For cartridges, there's a fair few (used) that would be more than capable to get you started and an upgrade from where you are now. Think good MM like Goldring's 1042, Denon DL110, 10x5 or a good used Reson or Ortofon 2M Bronze.

You may find that used decks mainly come without carts which tend to be sold separately.

Then there's the Techy SL1200 (standard trim) as others have pointed out.

If we're talking used in the region of £800 I think nottingham analogue would have to be added to the "recommended" list.

Reffc
18-05-2014, 09:10
Agreed John; it's a fine deck. You could also add in the VPI entry level deck and I'm sure half a dozen others. There's so many decent decks out there these days that it's a case of being spoilt for choice and ultimately, it's as much about the aesthetics as the sound I'm sure.

wiicrackpot
18-05-2014, 10:45
If we're talking used in the region of £800 I think nottingham analogue would have to be added to the "recommended" list.
2nd the NA but has the audio community forgotten Roksan?, they seem to have fallen out of the radar altogether, :scratch:
at £800 i would add the Xerxes 10 or even 20 into the picture.

fiddlemaker
18-05-2014, 11:08
And I 2nd the xerxes....great sounding decks.

topoxforddoc
18-05-2014, 17:11
Another option
Garrard 401 for £400-500 plus a Moldovan Ebay plinth for £100, an used Rega RB300 for £150 and a cheap cart. Lots of ways to fiddle and upgrade later, as you wish (and as funds allow). Also pretty solid resale value too.