PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Mørch UP-4 (Yellow dot)

Kember
13-05-2014, 17:20
I want to fund the purchase of a 12" tonearm for my 401 and I have been told, very clearly, by the authorities chez Kember that any purchase must be self-financing. At the very least, I accept this as an aspiration, if not a full undertaking :lol:. The first test, therefore, is to see whether the proceeds of such a sale could get me there.

So I am presenting a gold Mørch UP-4 with yellow dot wand in very good condition for your perusal. These are seriously lovely unipivots and it will be no hardship keeping it.

I understand there is a considerable waiting list for a new one. Currently offered new by Kronos AV for £1300 - http://www.kronosav.com/morch-up4-tonearm.html.

I would need to see a bid of at least £600 to let it go, although a straight swap for a decent 12" arm might also work.

If it helps the arithmetic/man maths, I am using a Zu Audio-modded Denon 103 on it, and might be persuaded to sell the arm with the cartridge - I understand that these are not made any more. It is not being offered separately at the moment.

There is also the possibility of putting the one-off Slate Audio plinth into the mix...http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32339-IC-Garrard-401-Three-Tier-Slate-Audio-Plinth

Any interest, please PM me.

Peter

jaym481
13-05-2014, 21:13
Sell the wand and the cart and buy a 12" wand for the Morch?

I'd be in, but I already have one, though it needs to be sent out for repair.

Kember
13-05-2014, 21:20
Sell the wand and the cart and buy a 12" wand for the Morch?

I'd be in, but I already have one, though it needs to be sent out for repair.

Jay,

Thanks. The thought had occurred to me but it would mean drilling another hole in my new plinth. It has a hole for 12" SME and one for a Rega alignment. Having said that, I guess there could be enough play in the SME slot to allow me to buy an adaptor and do as you suggest. I might give Walrus a call in the morning.

Best

P

vinylspinner
13-05-2014, 21:38
I would agree with Jay, sell the wand for £200 -£250 and put the funds into the pot for a 12 inch version, I use the early silver UP4 on a Rock turntable with good results, pita to set up but once there, it sings imho.

Nigel

Kember
13-05-2014, 22:01
Thanks Nigel,

As a matter of interest, do you have any idea how much the 12" wands cost? And is there a waiting list for new ones, too?

Best

Peter

vinylspinner
13-05-2014, 22:04
Hi Peter,

The last red dot wand I saw on ebay sold for £250 or near abouts, I already have a red dot and was looking out for a blue.

Nigel

Kember
13-05-2014, 22:18
Hi Peter,

The last red dot wand I saw on ebay sold for £250 or near abouts, I already have a red dot and was looking out for a blue.

Nigel

Nigel,

Thx. I'll call Walrus re new stock.

Peter

Monty
14-05-2014, 19:48
I have a UP4 which is excellent. I also have two 9 inch arm tubes, a yellow dot and an arm tube with an integrated Ortofon 18H stylus.

I've been chasing a 12 inch arm tube for a while.

Walrus quoted me £600 recently, which I thought was a little strong!

I'd like to know if a 12 inch arm tube can be found cheaper elsewhere?

Kember
14-05-2014, 21:32
Paul,

If I find any I'll let you know.

£600 will get you a reasonable 12" tonearm, not just a wand. Strewth!

P

Kember
15-05-2014, 18:25
I have a UP4 which is excellent. I also have two 9 inch arm tubes, a yellow dot and an arm tube with an integrated Ortofon 18H stylus.

I've been chasing a 12 inch arm tube for a while.

Walrus quoted me £600 recently, which I thought was a little strong!

I'd like to know if a 12 inch arm tube can be found cheaper elsewhere?

This is the closest I've come worldwide so far.

If you think £600 is a bit strong, look at this second hand price and that's before shipping, VAT and import duty:stalks:: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tonearms-h-h-moerch-d-08-a-24k-12-gold-plated-tonearm-with-2-each-12-arm-wands-2014-05-12-analog-92020. Yes, It's a better tonearm but...

I must say if I were to go for this, it'd be cheaper to use me air miles and go and get it:lol:!

Best

Peter

jaym481
15-05-2014, 20:57
The DP-8 is in a whole different price class than the other Morch arms. I have a DP-6 and a duff UP-4.

£600 will get you a 12" Jelco, but not much more in that price range. I'm not sure you could say the Jelco is better, but it is certainly different.

Kember
15-05-2014, 22:05
The DP-8 is in a whole different price class than the other Morch arms. I have a DP-6 and a duff UP-4.

600 will get you a 12" Jelco, but not much more in that price range. I'm not sure you could say the Jelco is better, but it is certainly different.

Jay,

I suppose so, at least new. Second hand, at £600-700, other options are around including a redone Alfred Bokrand 3012. That might be the sane(r) option.

OTH with the DP-8, I suppose the argument would be that £2700-odd would get a tonearm with two 12" wands making each wand only 2.25 times more expensive than the Walrus quote for the UP-4 wand (and the tonearm base/weights assembly effectively free) which, given the capabilities of the DP-8 seems quite good vfm.

Hmm, man maths starting to work here, but SWMBO would not be impressed at the thought of my spending $4,500 on a bit of kit:lol:. However, the pound is very strong against the dollar at the moment....Some thinking to do.:hmm:

P

jaym481
16-05-2014, 21:28
The DP8 is in the US. HM Customs will provide a good rogering, I'm sure. I bought my DP-6 from the US, with two wands and two cartridges, just under $2000US, but with a happy £500+ added at the receiving end. It turned a great deal into a marginal one.

Kember
16-05-2014, 23:15
The DP8 is in the US. HM Customs will provide a good rogering, I'm sure. I bought my DP-6 from the US, with two wands and two cartridges, just under $2000US, but with a happy £500+ added at the receiving end. It turned a great deal into a marginal one.

Jay

Absolutely. No desire to grab my ankles - HMRC will roger to the tune of 24% plus the importer handling charge.

I suppose I could get a friend in the US to receive it and then get bits delivered by passing visitors to get round that :lol:

P