PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting Sound - The art of vinyl mastering - A must watch.

The Black Adder
13-05-2014, 13:45
This is a very interesting video... Enjoy!

RGZSrvCyExN

While over 6 million vinyl records were sold in the US in 2013, there are depressingly only 2 companies left wolrdwide who supply the lacquers used to cut the master dics necessary to press every single release. This short but informative mini-documentary covers the art form of cutting tracks onto vinyl, and then how the process has developed over time. Rashad Becker of Dubplates and Mastering, Andreas Lubich of Calyx Mastering and Noel Summerville of 3345 Mastering are all interviewed, men whose client list includes: Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Theo Parrish, Maxmilion Dunbar, Nicolas Jaar, and Laurel Halo. While only being 6 minutes long, it scratches the surface of an analogue form that has seen a revival of late. And let's hope that that continues - as people continue to enjoy the physicality of actually holding the music, rather than the comparative lack of authenticity which comes via the MP3 form.

nat8808
18-05-2014, 23:09
Interesting! Thanks for that. So that's where some of my off-centre Warp records releases have come from..

Interesting that each of those interviewed said that vinyl wasn't accurate (:doh: here we go!): Andreas Lubich (Mastering engineer) said it wasn't a 1 for 1 copy of what's being recorded, Noel Summerville said (whilst cutting some electronica) that he knows the transients should be spiky but he'll have to reign them in for vinyl to prevent distortion and do the same for the bass, but it will make it a bit more "pleasing", Rashad Becker said that vinyl playback distortion is pleasing and that's the certain something that is recognisable about vinyl.

Well, that's the "what is more accurate" thread wrapped! The cutting engineers have spoken.

Of course Andreas Lubich also said that vinyl can often sound better - I agree, part of the art of the music, just as chosing oils or watercolours etc as a painter (just that in music there's more than one artist; the mixing engineer, mastering engineer, cutting engineer etc)

The Barbarian
19-05-2014, 07:49
I got bord with that after a 1 min! but thanks all the same Joe..

nat8808
19-05-2014, 23:26
You probably didn't have to express that André - could be taken the wrong way.

The Black Adder
10-06-2014, 12:55
that's ok, not for everyone I suppose.. lol :)