PDA

View Full Version : my vinyl system now does bass!

julesd68
12-05-2014, 10:35
For ages now I have been wondering why bass is 'missing' in my vinyl replay.

I've known for a while that my Tannoys are capable of producing surprisingly deep bass which is more than adequate for my needs, but this has been on the very rare occasion that I listen to cd. Listening to my regular diet of 70's hard rock lp's I've always been wanting more. I thought maybe it was the cart or the phono stage tubes, or even the hybrid amp just not cutting it in the bass department.

So I've done an experiment I wish I did ages ago … Pulled out some vinyl that I haven't listened to in many years. I've got a sizeable collection of classic hip-hop and US dance 12" singles from the 80's and 90's - perfect for giving the speakers a lower frequency work out. It was obvious after a nano-second that my system has no problem producing significant bass and that it is totally recording dependant - had to turn the amp right down from my usual listening levels just to cope with the 'thud'!! :eek: Definitely getting old. And just to make a comparison with the 70's rock lp's I dug out some '80's metal - again, a totally different experience with a lot more slam and bass.

As an aside from discovering that my system 'does' bass, it has actually been fantastic re-discovering some old music and to remind myself why I bought it in the first place. Very glad I kept it all and going to have lots more fun going through the rest of the collection in months to come and broaden my horizons again …

Barry
12-05-2014, 10:43
Well done Julian. It's always good fun to dig out old stuff you haven't played for a long time. Most of the time it is a delightful surprise, but sometimes you think to yourself "why on earth did I buy this?".

Our tastes in music change as we get older, but quality performances and recordings will always be pleasurable to hear time and time again.

julesd68
12-05-2014, 10:49
Well done Julian. It's always good fun to dig out old stuff you haven't played for a long time. Most of the time it is a delightful surprise, but sometimes you think to yourself "why on earth did I buy this?".

Our tastes in music change as we get older, but quality performances and recordings will always be pleasurable to hear time and time again.

Cheers Barry! Absolutely right about the recordings - the production and sound quality from some of the 'uber' dance producers like David Morales is quite fantastic. They are not just club records - can sound great on a good hi-fi. Of course, like all good systems mine shows up the differences between the great recordings, the mediocre and the downright awful ...

RobbieGong
12-05-2014, 11:40
Hi Jules, Nice to hear system doing good bass. Another thing is the fact every recording does not sound the same is a good indication that your system is likely performing more 'right' than not. :)

julesd68
12-05-2014, 12:37
Absolutely Rob, it's all good ... :)

Any sign of those Spendors turning up at Gong Towers??

Tarzan
12-05-2014, 12:44
Tannoys and hip hop, that is a combo you do not often hear about.....:yesbruv:

julesd68
12-05-2014, 12:49

:lol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/BackToTheOldSchool.jpg

Tarzan
12-05-2014, 13:00
:)

nat8808
15-05-2014, 17:26

I would just like to un-reinforce the idea that we turn in to clichéd images of what society claims it is like to be old. The cliché, when believed, is a self-fulfilling prophecy .. Plus of course no-one of my generation could yet be considered "old" so what people see of old people could well not be relevent to anyone but that very same generation.

I don't reckon my generation will either wear biege nor shirts tucked into jeans when we're old and will be into all sorts of new music and keeping up more with contemporary stuff.

I think you should have said "Our tastes in music often change as time passes" just to be more clear!

nat8808
15-05-2014, 17:31

I wonder !

Maybe back in the 90s when Tannoys could be picked up cheap and other classic stuff, I wonder if there were lots of people doing hifi on the cheap with this old gear and listening to loads of hiphop. Not far off home dub sound systems - bound to be a few people moving from their Garrard 4HFs to 301s and picking up some Tannoys on the way!

Barry
15-05-2014, 18:50
I would just like to un-reinforce the idea that we turn in to clichéd images of what society claims it is like to be old. The cliché, when believed, is a self-fulfilling prophecy .. Plus of course no-one of my generation could yet be considered "old" so what people see of old people could well not be relevent to anyone but that very same generation.

I don't reckon my generation will either wear biege nor shirts tucked into jeans when we're old and will be into all sorts of new music and keeping up more with contemporary stuff.

I think you should have said "Our tastes in music often change as time passes" just to be more clear!

The word I used was "older" not "old".

Your point is taken, but current mores always go out of date with time; so those continuing to practice and follow them will, in time, equally maintain the clichéd image of 'old' people.

Even at my advanced age, I'm still interested in new music and stuff which I loathed as teenager, I quite like now. This could be a manifestation of nostagia, or it could equally be a re-appraisal.