PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: Garrard 301 !

nat8808
11-05-2014, 14:48
Oil bearing, strobe platter with a neon strobe wired up. Working and good cosmetics - especially shiny control plates!

Runs almost silently - very slight idler friction sound (I'll see if a bit of grease on the axle will eliminate this), and very slight motor hum but no more than many AC motor decks I've had. At 33.3 you have to put your ear to the deck to hear any noises, like the idler running on the platter, but increases a little at the higher speeds.

£599 delivered in UK. (yes, I know - that's £600 really) Happy to ship worldwide too for just a little more (depending on location).

Here's a preliminary photo and I'll post up some more detailed ones this afternoon:

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1894/8521336/24547140/409399413.jpg

I'd call this a tinkering project just to ensure continued perfect working condition - I bought it a long while ago, stripped it down about 1.5 years ago to clean up, had to tidy up, put all the bits in a box and that was that. When I stripped it down, I cleaned it up as the previous owner was a heavy smoker, there was some corrosion on the linkages (I cleaned them up, protecting myself from the cadmium plate of course..). Nicotine is a good protector too though so it came up quite nicely, especially those plates.

I've not replaced a single thing on this deck myself - it's all pretty much original as far as I can tell. All four mounting bolts are there, the platter has some patches of faded black paint, couple of small paint chips on the side/bottom edge of the main body plus the almost obligatory dustbug mark as you can see.

It's working well as it is but there are some points which need tinkering with:

1) needs a bearing oil felt - the original fell apart when I had some strange idea of cleaning it up. They are £3.99 from Loricraft/Audio Grail. Brake felt is old and brown but works.

2) On/Off lever needs firm operation to both engage the switch 100% of the time (works fine 90% of the time when not thinking about it) and to engage the brake the other way 100% of the time (works 60% of the time if you just limply turn it off). Engaging both simply means making sure you move the lever to it's full travel each time. I guess this is down to spring tension - they are all original.

3) 33.3 is almost spot on with speed but as you go to 45 and then 78 you have to slow it down, up to almost the max by 78rpm. Apparently high speed is common with age. This is via the neon strobe and platter markings.

4) the idler looks original so perhaps could do with replacement at some point - but works well as is. That could eliminate any trace of that idler on platter noise you can get (is currently very low - have to put your ear to the deck to hear it at 33.3 anyway)

5) a minor thing: the switch cover is broken but glued - will likely break again as soon as it's taken off at any point.

6) one last thing... After putting it together, hidden in the bag of mounting bolts was a very small brass screw! I've no idea where it's from, can't see were it would ever go.. That it was in the bag I put the mounting bolts in means it most have been from before I dismantled it fully? I'll photo it for people to see. Could be nothing to do with anything...

Tim
11-05-2014, 15:26
Holy moly that's a billy bargain Nat :stalks:

nat8808
11-05-2014, 16:00
Ah well, it's not a fully restored piece - still all original, just cleaned up some - and there's no need for it to sit around here any longer!

It would be good to see it go to a good home and given that final bit of tweaking and put in a good plinth.

The Grand Wazoo
11-05-2014, 16:11
What an offer!
I reckon this is an ideal opportunity for someone to put right at least one of their 'big hi-fi regrets'

Gordon Steadman
11-05-2014, 16:14
Damn....hang onto it for a couple of years and I'll take it off your hands:doh: