View Full Version : Help, we're getting married...

littlest hobo
11-05-2014, 10:39
Don't quite know where I'm going with this (....the thread, not the marriage):lol:

We are getting married in September and we're having a very traditional service in a small country church. I'm starting to feel very constricted by the thought of hymns and dour organ recitals, it's just not my cup of tea - We're not big classical fans and I find organ music is over bearing.

So, we've decided to mix it up a bit and have Roberta Flack, The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face, whilst we sign the registry and IZ kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, as we leave.

Apologies, if this is getting sloppy, I'm just getting round to the hifi bit!

We are planning to use our own hifi kit and probably use an iPod as the source, I have some stonking Keswick Audio speakers or I could use an old pair of Arcam's I have in the loft. Biggest issue is amplification, my amp is too heavy, I also have a Mini-t but it's gutless with the Keswick's. So I'm looking for a bargain second-hand amp to fill the church, any suggestions?

The Grand Wazoo
11-05-2014, 10:45
Why not ask the vicar? Surely he's in direct contact with a 'higher power'!

Sorry - couldn't resist!
Congratulations and I hope it all goes well.

CageyH
11-05-2014, 10:50
Don't quite know where I'm going with this (....the thread, not the marriage):lol:

We are getting married in September and we're having a very traditional service in a small country church. I'm starting to feel very constricted by the thought of hymns and dour organ recitals, it's just not my cup of tea - We're not big classical fans and I find organ music is over bearing.

So, we've decided to mix it up a bit and have Roberta Flack, The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face, whilst we sign the registry and IZ kamakawiwo'ole - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, as we leave.

Apologies, if this is getting sloppy, I'm just getting round to the hifi bit!

We are planning to use our own hifi kit and probably use an iPod as the source, I have some stonking Keswick Audio speakers or I could use an old pair of Arcam's I have in the loft. Biggest issue is amplification, my amp is too heavy, I also have a Mini-t but it's gutless with the Keswick's. So I'm looking for a bargain second-hand amp to fill the church, any suggestions?

When I got married, we used Amici forever - Whisper of Angels for the entry of the Bride, and Louis Armstrong - It's a wonderful world on the way out.
I used KEF Coda 9 speakers -(biggest I had at the time) running on a Kenwood KA-3020SE. It did the job, but church acoustics do strange things to HiFi especially when compromised with relatively short speaker cable runs.

Kember
11-05-2014, 12:32
When I were a lad in the seventies, the local vic used a Quad tranny amp to fill a reasonably sized church when the curate was away as he was the only one who could play the organ. I don't recall the speakers though but they might have been Tannoys.

P

Macca
11-05-2014, 13:01
Most churches have some sort of PA these days, usually with Bose speakers for some unfathomable reason. Possible the C of E has shares in Bose. Never really got to the bottom of that. Or you could consider renting a PA for the day from a pro shop - they will bring it in set it up for you and take it away when you're done.

The Barbarian
11-05-2014, 13:21
Im not a Methodist but we got married in one of their Churches {Was not my doing}, they had a big PA in there..

DSJR
11-05-2014, 13:45
In 1996, we had a really great sound from a mid 1970's Aiwa music centre (one of the few Hifi grade ones) and a pair of Musical Technology Kestrel floor standers sitting alongside on the pew.

What Arcams are they? The 'Two' was a really lovely little speaker and should be ideal if it's not firing into guest's chests.

PaulStewart
11-05-2014, 13:59
Hi, as others have said the church probably has a PA system, if not I have a couple of fairly meaty 70/80s Technics amps I have done up for the October audio jumble. You are welcome to the loan of one if you ship it back in time for me to take it down.

Congrats BTW

PaulStewart
12-05-2014, 20:37
Edit: Whilst I think about it there are certain legal (copyright) restrictions on the use of recorded music at public functions. Weddings are not exempt!

Err! Wrong Nigel, this is from the PRS website "Religious buildings - we do not charge for music used in divine worship, wedding ceremonies, civil wedding and partnership ceremonies, funerals or in funeral homes".

I have helped install PAs in many churches and church halls and in every case they were good for music as weel as speech as so many use recorded music these days. When my son was DJing he used a PA driven by just three Quads 2x 50e monos for bass and one 303 stereo for the tweeters, driving some JBL PA cabs. These produced adequate levels in most halls. Were as I like organ music as it appears you do the OP said she didn't so why not help solve the problem, not add to it :)

Cheers

hifinutt
12-05-2014, 20:45
congrats , what about something like this

http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=rega_brio_2000&p=integrated_amplifier&prod_id=17939&offset=36

Naughty Nigel
12-05-2014, 20:45
Err! Wrong Nigel, this is from the PRS website "Religious buildings - we do not charge for music used in divine worship, wedding ceremonies, civil wedding and partnership ceremonies, funerals or in funeral homes".

I have helped install PAs in many churches and church halls and in every case they were good for music as weel as speech as so many use recorded music these days. When my son was DJing he used a PA driven by just three Quads 2x 50e monos for bass and one 303 stereo for the tweeters, driving some JBL PA cabs. These produced adequate levels in most halls. Were as I like organ music as it appears you do the OP said she didn't so why not help solve the problem, not add to it :)

Cheers

I was not trying to "add to the problem" as you put it; simply pointing out that there is a huge repertoire of organ music but many people are put off because they only ever hear three pieces played on Comfort FM; namely BWV 565, Widor V and the Saen Sans organ symphony.

Anyhow, I apologise for encouraging anyone to keep music live, and will keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Nigel.