PDA

View Full Version : Gotham GAC-1 Ultra Pro

Ninanina
09-05-2014, 22:57
I thought that the Gotham cable should have it's own 'section' as it is getting plenty of comments on other forum threads::::

My initial thoughts on the Gotham are that for the money they are superb but with the following short falls in my system

1) They lack emotion... They kind of 'get on with the job in hand' but lack what I am used to in the 'feeling and emotion' of the music
2) They are rather 'flat' sounding. I am not very good at explaining what I hear but 'flat and clinical' is the best way I can describe the Gotham cable

Do I think they are good value for money?? well at £20 yes of course they are exceptional value for money but every other cable I have beat's it in the 'emotional and naturalness' of the music

I currently have interconnects ranging from £20 (the Gotham's), to another at £100, one at £220, one at £320 and another at £500 and while I think, at £20, the Gotham is good it's just not good enough in my system I'm afraid

It may be that my system is very revealing and certainly the Klipsch Heresy's are VERY revealing indeed

While I can imagine that in some systems the Gothams would represent excellent value for money at £20 and be 'good enough', in my system they just don't cut it I'm afraid

That's my honest opinion and I hope it helps some that are considering this new 'wonder' cable .......

Audio Al
10-05-2014, 02:14
:sofa::sofa::sofa::D

Wakefield Turntables
10-05-2014, 07:46
Let's see if we can generate another 38 page thread of bollhox. Nice review incidently, concise and to the point, just what I like. :)

jandl100
10-05-2014, 08:23
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy1iNmQ5NmM3MTg2ZGEzMjli.png

:lol:

User211
10-05-2014, 08:55
Cables? Pure pap. I've just got me a load of Shun Mooks. Like, really.

clap
10-05-2014, 18:48
Cables? Pure pap. I've just got me a load of Shun Mooks. Like, really.

******* hell.

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 18:59
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/MjAxMy1iNmQ5NmM3MTg2ZGEzMjli.png

:rfl::rfl::rfl:

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 21:27
Nice review incidently, concise and to the point, just what I like. :)

Thanks for that, it's about the best I can do.... I have absolutely no idea about all this 'hifi speak' I just say it like I hear it

;)

Stratmangler
10-05-2014, 21:31
I just say it like I hear it

;)

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of cable being emotional :scratch: ;)

User211
10-05-2014, 21:31
The Mooks are on loan Trist:)

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 21:45
I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of cable being emotional :scratch: ;)

Like I say Chris, I just say it like I hear it and certainly the Gotham had pretty much no emotion to the music unlike a couple of other cables I have. I hope that some others may know what I mean by my statement. Of course it could be that my system is 'emotional' and the Gotham stopped that emotion getting through, if that makes any sense. The Gotham was clinical and kind of detached in my system

;)

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 21:58
Just as an aside....:

I would have loved for the Gotham cable to have been really good in my system as it would have saved me a small fortune in alternative cables, but it wasn't to be and I did VERY quickly come to the conclusion that they are definitely not for me or my system

Stratmangler
10-05-2014, 22:00
I'm playing Jeff Buckley's "Grace" currently, and hear no loss of emotional input from the late Buckley Jnr.
The Gotham cable lets more information through than my last (home brewed) cable, and I'm enjoying that extra information immensely.
What's more my 13 year old son is of the same opinion, so my knackered old ears ain't quite so knackered as I think they are ...

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 22:04
I'm playing Jeff Buckley's "Grace" currently, and hear no loss of emotional input from the late Buckley Jnr.
The Gotham cable lets more information through than my last (home brewed) cable, and I'm enjoying that extra information immensely.
What's more my 13 year old son is of the same opinion, so my knackered old ears ain't quite so knackered as I think they are ...

Chris I just think that just totally proves that cables are extremely system dependent don't you think?

Stratmangler
10-05-2014, 22:11
Chris I just think that just totally proves that cables are extremely system dependent don't you think?

I agree.
There's no magic at play though.

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 22:17
There's no magic at play though.

I totally agree Chris but having heard a few other cables in my system over the last few weeks the Gotham just couldn't 'cut it' i'm afraid, which, as I said, is a great shame, as it would have saved me a small fortune... ;)

PaulStewart
10-05-2014, 23:03
My experience of the Gotham cables is that as a value for for money cable they are good, as some kind of budget "Giant killer" they don't cut it. To me the best cable should have no sound at all they should just transmit a signal, end of story. As far as the emotion aspect, I see what Bev is saying, but I would interpret it, if Bev will allow me as the cable, in her system and in mine I would add, acts a a barrier preventing the emotion from coming through.

If find this and the lack of fine detail, to be true of the Gotham GAC-1 cable in both analogue and digital use. As said before, it would be wonderful if £20 cables did the biz, it would save us all a fortune but if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 23:19
Paul I think you have hit it on the head with the following statements:

1) The Gotham cable is exceptional value for money
2) The Gotham as a "giant killer"... not in my system I'm afraid
3) In my system and Pauls system the Gotham is acting as a barrier preventing the emotion from coming through
4) If something seems to good to be true, it usually is, as is the case with the Gotham in my system and to my ears !

So although I agree the Gotham is good value at £20 it's just not good enough for my system I am afraid

;)

Stratmangler
10-05-2014, 23:23
So although I agree the Gotham is good value at £20 it's just not good enough for my system I am afraid

;)

If it takes a £500 cable to make your system sing is that not an indication that all is not well on The Western Front?
Just turning the argument on its head ...

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 23:35
Hi Chris
I don't think for one minute that "all is not well on the Western Front", if you mean there is a fundamental problem with my hifi set up... !

I certainly love the sound of my sytem at the moment, the Audio Note is giving it's 10w of superb natural sound that the Klipsch Heresys just lap up

I believe my system to be quite revealing so messing about with different cables does certainly show what the cable is made of

To that end the £20 (Gotham) is in the mix of cables against cables at £100, one at £220, one at £320 and another at £500 and to be honest all of them are better than the Gotham

Like I say that is only my opinion and in MY system and I am quite certain that the Gotham cable will be superb in some systems but, I'm afraid, not mine.. ;)

synsei
10-05-2014, 23:39
One buys what one can afford and yet even at the budget end of the market it is worth auditioning likely candidates. I own a pair of GAC-1's and they are good but not exceptional sounding IME. Belkin PureAV Silver's show them a clean pair of heels relatively speaking. Although the Belkin's sound a little grainy in comparison at the top end their midrange lucidity and excellent bass heft makes up for this somewhat. Both the aforementioned IC's are, however, comprehensively outgunned by a set I bought for £11.99 from an ebay shop based in Hong Kong called Gear City. These well constructed LOFC IC's are very close in performance terms to RFC's excellent Pluto and Neptune IC's (1st iteration)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/15mCRC07Interconnects.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Hifi%20Stuff/15mCRC07Interconnects.jpg.html)

Ninanina
10-05-2014, 23:54
Dave you are quite right in saying one buys what one can afford

As I use my system an awful lot I don't mind spending a little bit on it here and there just to "tweak it" ... I believe the fundamentals are just right now in my system but tweaking it with different cables is money very well spent

This is why I have tried a number of different interconnects recently just to see what each cable could bring to the system

synsei
11-05-2014, 00:07
Dave you are quite right in saying one buys what one can afford

As I use my system an awful lot I don't mind spending a little bit on it here and there just to "tweak it" ... I believe the fundamentals are just right now in my system but tweaking it with different cables is money very well spent

This is why I have tried a number of different interconnects recently just to see what each cable could bring to the system

Exactly. Others may laugh at this but I thought long and hard before parting company with any cash for the RFC Neptunes currently sitting between my pre and power amps. This was the most money I've ever parted with for a set of cables so for me it was a 'hi end' purchase, and I have not regretted it in the slightest :)

Ninanina
11-05-2014, 00:11
I have not regretted it in the slightest :)

It's always great when a plan pays off .!

synsei
11-05-2014, 00:17
It's always great when a plan pays off .!

Indeed it is. I mention this because you are now in the same situation regarding the SLIC's. Sure the price you paid is significantly higher however the important thing to note is that you have found them to offer excellent SPPV so nuff said really ;)

Anyway it's late and I'm a lightweight so I'm offski... gn... :wave:

Ninanina
11-05-2014, 00:27
you have found them to offer excellent SPPV so nuff said really ;)

Anyway it's late and I'm a lightweight so I'm offski... gn... :wave:

Nighty night.......

ps... what does SPPV mean?

John
11-05-2014, 05:57
I just tried the cable Jerry and Mark recommends Atratus Audiophile RCA Interconnects and prefer it in my system over the Gotham Ultra

Marco
11-05-2014, 06:22
My experience of the Gotham cables is that as a value for for money cable they are good, as some kind of budget "Giant killer" they don't cut it. To me the best cable should have no sound at all they should just transmit a signal, end of story. As far as the emotion aspect, I see what Bev is saying, but I would interpret it, if Bev will allow me as the cable, in her system and in mine I would add, acts a a barrier preventing the emotion from coming through.

If find this and the lack of fine detail, to be true of the Gotham GAC-1 cable in both analogue and digital use. As said before, it would be wonderful if £20 cables did the biz, it would save us all a fortune but if something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

....yet in my £30k+ system, Paul, it *is* true! ;)

[Although the shockingly expensive £15.99 Van Damme 'Whites' are better still]. System synergy, with cables, is indeed a most peculiar thing.....

Marco.

CageyH
11-05-2014, 06:57
ps... what does SPPV mean?

I read is as "Sound Per Pound Value."

Marco
11-05-2014, 07:06
That's exactly it - and I always strive to maximise it. It's the very foundation my system is built upon.

Marco.

Joe
11-05-2014, 07:11

[Although the shockingly expensive £15.99 Van Damme 'Whites' are better still]. System synergy, with cables, is indeed a most peculiar thing.....

Marco.

Which is why it's daft to get all het up over what, in the end, is always going to be down to personal preference. The problems arise when people mistake their own opinion for some sort of universal truth.

John
11-05-2014, 07:18
Agree
Music is a subjective experience

Marco
11-05-2014, 07:29
Which is why it's daft to get all het up over what, in the end, is always going to be down to personal preference. The problems arise when people mistake their own opinion for some sort of universal truth.

The getting 'het up' over stuff recently on this forum, for what in reality is a triviality, is an utter nonsense. I'm getting sick to death of having to manage people's fickle personalities and seemingly oh-so-delicate sensibilities!

Marco.

Macca
11-05-2014, 07:33
The getting 'het up' over stuff recently on this forum, for what in reality is a triviality, is an utter nonsense. I'm getting sick to death of having to manage people's fickle personalities and seemingly oh-so-delicate sensibilities!

Marco.

Probably a big mistake to start an audio forum then ;)

Joe
11-05-2014, 07:42

Ha! There's more drama queens on audio forums than at the Oscars!

Macca
11-05-2014, 08:07
It's not just audio forums though. I was on a wargame forum once (well Yahoo message board thing) and that was much, much worse. Some of the Yanks were unbelievable prima donnas. Got so pissed off with it I packed it in.

jandl100
11-05-2014, 08:11
Boyz and their Toyz. :mental: :)

CageyH
11-05-2014, 08:22
The older you get, the more expensive your toys become!

And it's not just the boyz here. :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
11-05-2014, 08:37

Wakefield Turntables
11-05-2014, 09:02
Just as an aside....:

I would have loved for the Gotham cable to have been really good in my system as it would have saved me a small fortune in alternative cables, but it wasn't to be and I did VERY quickly come to the conclusion that they are definitely not for me or my system

This is very true. I tried the MCRU platter in my system and was gutted that it didn't better my old platter. I came to the conclusion within a week, I tried and tried but no matter what I played, I felt the same. Sometimes a piece of kit works and sometimes it dosen't. I think discerning changes in your system becomes easy when you know your kit inside out.

Marco.

I also agree with this. My system is a real sensitive little bugger! I've a similar costing system and can VERY easily tell if a cable is or isnt doing it's thang..;)

icehockeyboy
11-05-2014, 10:30
Gothams?

They are SOOOOOOOOO yesterday!

Come on, get up to speed, today's ic is made by Van Damme! :)

CageyH
11-05-2014, 10:46
Personally, I will be making my own Arkham Terminators. :eek:

Marco
11-05-2014, 10:57

Lol... Thing is, it wasn't always like this. I guess it's inevitable that, as the forum grows, and different characters join, that this brings its own set of problems.

I can tell you, though, that I'm no longer here to sit and manage schoolboy behaviour or pacify over-sensitive souls, who see AoS as their own personal therapy centre, and give up and leave because they can't hack not having things their own way, or the forum's content tailored to appease their sensibilities - and most importantly, allow parasites to suck the very lifeblood from the place.

I simply don't need the stress of dealing with it all, as inevitably it falls on my shoulders. Life's too short for that pish, so in future I'll be taking a more dispassionate stance and leaving folk like that to their own devices, and concentrating fully instead on what AoS should be about, and what I enjoy doing, and that's talking about hi-fi and music with others who are here for the same purpose!

Marco.

Tarzan
11-05-2014, 12:35
:hmm:

DSJR
11-05-2014, 13:57
I just tried the cable Jerry and Mark recommends Atratus Audiophile RCA Interconnects and prefer it in my system over the Gotham Ultra

I have a set of Atratus and find them shockingly messy and coloured in the setups I tried them in - just not my cup of char at all sadly. Fine for very cheap DAC's or possibly to add some character or 'flavour' to boring digital based setups, but just not clear enough for the midrange stuff I have, as I found production differences in recordings much reduced for whatever reason - Hmmmmm! I did try to see if they were directional too. In a system the Atratus works in, I suspect the Sound Cord would be horrendously matter-of-fact.

That £12 one from 'Gear City' looks interesting though :)

YNWaN
11-05-2014, 17:11
Dave, could you be a bit more detailed in explaining what you mean by "shockingly messy and coloured" please as i genuinely don't know what you mean - in what way 'messy' or 'coloured'?

I think last month (perhaps the month before) Alan Sircom wrote a short review of the Atratus in HiFi+ and his comments parallel my own experience (and comments). My criticism of the cable wouldn't be that it is messy or coloured, but that it has a rather brightly lit/exaggerated upper mid presence (perhaps that is the colouration you refer to - but I wouldn't say it is messy). However, I know Marco feels it has almost entirely the opposite character and sounds rather rolled off and restrained.... (so not much agreement there).

I've compared the Atratus and Gotham. The Gotham sounds less leading edge sharp than the Atratus but still has good detail - slightly softer focus and leans towards the lower mid (rather than upper).

jandl100
11-05-2014, 17:16
Ah yes, the Epiphany Atratus - the cable where Mark and I came to remarkably similar conclusions about the cable's "sound" entirely and verifiably independently as we both published at pretty much the same time. :eek:

You've got a different opinion, Dave, which rather spoils it! :lol:

YNWaN
11-05-2014, 18:48
I've just spent another hour comparing my regular Atratus to the Gotham and think I have a firmer grasp of the differences. I mentioned earlier (perhaps on the other interconnect thread) that the Atratus has better focus and, listening now, it is as if the Gotham has a mild bloom around notes - the Atratus sounds leaner comparatively. I've heard this bloom character before with cables - in fact, some have significantly more of it and often centered around the lower mid/upper bass.

Mark Grant
11-05-2014, 19:58
Dave, could you be a bit more detailed in explaining what you mean by "shockingly messy and coloured" please as i genuinely don't know what you mean - in what way 'messy' or 'coloured'?

I think last month (perhaps the month before) Alan Sircom wrote a short review of the Atratus in HiFi+ and his comments parallel my own experience (and comments). My criticism of the cable wouldn't be that it is messy or coloured, but that it has a rather brightly lit/exaggerated upper mid presence (perhaps that is the colouration you refer to - but I wouldn't say it is messy). However, I know Marco feels it has almost entirely the opposite character and sounds rather rolled off and restrained.... (so not much agreement there).

I've compared the Mark Grant, Atratus and Gotham. Of the three I'm not that keen on the Mark Grant which I feel lacks detail and is a bit 'matter of fact' in presentation. The Gotham sounds less leading edge sharp than the Atratus but still has good detail - slightly softer focus and leans towards the lower mid (rather than upper).

Which of my cables do you have Mark ?
What you say is the exact opposite of what my customers say.:scratch:

Ninanina
12-05-2014, 21:16
I am returning my Gotham cable to the eBay seller as, unfortunately, it did not perform very well in MY system and to MY ears

Just a little information: It is illegal, under the 'Distant Selling Act etc etc' to charge a 're-stocking fee' and as the seller is requesting a 7.5% re-stocking fee he/she is flouting that ruling

I know that 7.5% is not a great deal of money but thought I should point out that it's actually against the law to try to charge it so I am returning my cable with the request that no re-stocking fee is applicable; I have contacted eBay and they have confirmed I am correct

Hope that might help anyone else who is returning their Gotham, if they haven't found it to be the next 'best thing' in cables !! ;)

Joe
12-05-2014, 23:08
I am returning my Gotham cable to the eBay seller as, unfortunately, it did not perform very well in MY system and to MY ears

Just a little information: It is illegal, under the 'Distant Selling Act etc etc' to charge a 're-stocking fee' and as the seller is requesting a 7.5% re-stocking fee he/she is flouting that ruling

I know that 7.5% is not a great deal of money but thought I should point out that it's actually against the law to try to charge it so I am returning my cable with the request that no re-stocking fee is applicable; I have contacted eBay and they have confirmed I am correct

Hope that might help anyone else who is returning their Gotham, if they haven't found it to be the next 'best thing' in cables !! ;)

Thanks for the warning. Actually I've got more spare cables than you could shake a stick at, so I'll pass on the Gothams, the Van Dammes, the SLICs and whatever next week's world-beater turns out to be. I might have a rummage and do my own 'bake-off' if I can be arsed.

Ninanina
12-05-2014, 23:59
Actually I've got more spare cables than you could shake a stick at

Maybe, just maybe, if you'd have pooled all your money you've spent on all those 'spare cables' you might have come up with a cable worthy of keeping in the system.... just a thought and all.... :D

CageyH
13-05-2014, 03:32
Isn't this in the wrong thread ;) :eyebrows:

Ninanina
13-05-2014, 03:35
Isn't this in the wrong thread ;) :eyebrows:

Kevin I have NO idea anymore... but if the mods want to move it to somewhere else that's just fine by me....

:D

CageyH
13-05-2014, 05:25
Personally, I'd like to see what cables you tried it against as if you believe it is worth the extra money over the others, there has to be something about it.

Marco
13-05-2014, 06:54
Bev, for reference, your Slic comments have been moved to here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32174-Slic-Innovations-Eclipse-C-Interconnect-at-MCRU/page5

If you've got anything else to say about Slic, stick it in there, ta. I'll remove your other identical post from the Van Damme thread.

Marco.

Joe
13-05-2014, 08:05
Maybe, just maybe, if you'd have pooled all your money you've spent on all those 'spare cables' you might have come up with a cable worthy of keeping in the system.... just a thought and all.... :D

Actually, it's more that my main system went from phono amp, preamp, power amp and DAC to one box incorporating all those things, plus I had some 'freebie' cables that came with stuff I've bought over the years. The 'upstairs' system uses really basic cables from Maplins, so I might swap in some of my 'spare' cables into that system to see what difference, if any, they make.

CageyH
13-05-2014, 17:45
I guess that this is the basic Black Ultra cable?
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Van-damme-Pro-Grade-Classic-XKE-Flexible-3-6mm-OD-268-100-000-Black-per-metre-/130884139931?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Conne ctors&hash=item1e794d7b9b

Ninanina
13-05-2014, 17:48
Bev, for reference, your Slic comments have been moved to here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32174-Slic-Innovations-Eclipse-C-Interconnect-at-MCRU/page5

If you've got anything else to say about Slic, stick it in there, ta. I'll remove your other identical post from the Van Damme thread.

Marco.

Oops sorry Marco.... no worries... but I didn't think I should put any comments in the Trade Section...

Mark Grant
18-05-2014, 23:01

That's naughty for an ebay seller to be charging a restocking fee.

You would be guaranteed to win a paypal dispute if the seller did not refund in full.

P.S. Ebay are making some changes later in the year so buyers wont have to contact the seller when returning, there will be a managed returns similar to Amazon apparently where you click a few buttons and print out a returns label so no need to ask sellers for return instructions.
This will make it easier but probably more costly for buyers or sellers and make more money for ebay somehow as ebay would not do it if it was not making them an extra sneaky fee/percentage. http://tamebay.com/2014/01/mandatory-managed-returns-coming-to-some-ebay-uk-categories-soon.html

Ninanina
19-05-2014, 20:36
That's naughty for an ebay seller to be charging a restocking fee.

You would be guaranteed to win a paypal dispute if the seller did not refund in full.

P.S. Ebay are making some changes later in the year so buyers wont have to contact the seller when returning, there will be a managed returns similar to Amazon apparently where you click a few buttons and print out a returns label so no need to ask sellers for return instructions.
This will make it easier but probably more costly for buyers or sellers and make more money for ebay somehow as ebay would not do it if it was not making them an extra sneaky fee/percentage. http://tamebay.com/2014/01/mandatory-managed-returns-coming-to-some-ebay-uk-categories-soon.html

Actually Mark I informed eBay about the charge and I informed the seller that re-stocking fees are illegal and he refunded me in full which was fine, having said that I see that the same seller is still quoting the 7.5% fee which is very naughty as he knows it's illegal

Thanks Mark for the eBay info too

wee tee cee
25-05-2014, 16:53
Just got to this thread.....Bevs description mirrors my own experience sonically. One of the members re-terminated the gothams for me and sent to me to try on return from my holibags (many thanks Brian).-still only lasted half a dozen tunes before my MGs went back in- to a sigh of relief. I have tried the various cables folks have recommended and had some fun doing it!!!
System synergy/sonic presentation.....dunno but I am concious that some people have similar tastes sonically to myself and tend to gravitate towards similar wires/kit.
Its just a bit of fun for me, always good to read members having a pow wow- healthy forum methinks!!!!!

Ninanina
25-05-2014, 20:36
Just got to this thread.....Bevs description mirrors my own experience sonically

I'm glad i'm not the only one that didn't get on with the Gotham cable... ;)

Tarzan
23-04-2015, 12:03
I'm glad i'm not the only one that didn't get on with the Gotham cable... ;)

Watching this thread with interest, l myself have just taken delivery of the Gotham cable, and they are coloured, a bit rolled off,bloomy, but by golly are they musical and dynamic.:)

Audio Al
23-04-2015, 12:08
Watching this thread with interest, l myself have just taken delivery of the Gotham cable, and they are coloured, a bit rolled off,bloomy, but by golly are they musical and dynamic.:)

Wham , Bam , Kersplat , Biff

Or is this the wrong Gotham :lol:

struth
23-04-2015, 12:18
Ive got a set of gothams. i used to use them with success with my quads and q acoustics, but they were not so nice with the kefs. Not tried them with the tannoys where i use mit. got a really nice set of kelvin ones that worked very well on my valve amp.