PDA

View Full Version : The best or good SCART cable please

MikeMusic
09-05-2014, 17:36
After the kit shuffle I need a 2 metre SCART

All my good ones are .5 metre

What good makes are there please ? (that I can likely pick up dead cheap on Ebay !)

Can be RGB only

istari_knight
09-05-2014, 18:14
I always used QED Squart... Very pretty blue jacket :D

The Barbarian
09-05-2014, 19:03
Any chance you could use Component instead?

The Barbarian
09-05-2014, 19:05

Is that the flat ones? We had them just one SCART now to get rid off when we get a new DVD player

istari_knight
09-05-2014, 19:51
Is that the flat ones? We had them just one SCART now to get rid off when we get a new DVD player

They did a flat one but that was more of a pastel blue IIRC... Mine's like this:

http://www.cablecenter.ru/cable_pics/big_qed_av4110_1m.jpg

MikeMusic
09-05-2014, 20:12

Wondered about QED
Are they good ?

MikeMusic
09-05-2014, 20:14
Any chance you could use Component instead?

Maybe
Tivo to back of Panasonic CRT
Silly question (?) are they better than SCART ?

The Barbarian
09-05-2014, 20:32
I swapped out SCART for Componets, the picture improved. You just need 5 phono leads.. Your R.G&B leads & your L+R sound channels..But would use HDMI whenever possible..

istari_knight
09-05-2014, 21:14
Wondered about QED
Are they good ?

To be honest I cant tell any difference over a 99p shielded one ! I always thought RGB scart & component carry the same signal ? Only difference being scart max's out at 480i & analogue component at 576p... If your tivo has component out & your tv has component in then it will be worth it but if it requires conversion don't bother.

It all depends on the individual source & tv at the end of the day. For example, my crappy LG LCD has a better picture running 576P component from an Arcam DV27A over 1080p HDMI from a Bluray player.

StanleyB
10-05-2014, 05:53
As far as I am concerned the best SCART leads ever were the Thor SCART leads. I designed them myself and won a couple of awards for their design. And the company I worked for sold millions SCART leads designed by me all over the world. My designs were frequently copied by competitors.
There is a used 3m on sale at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thor-3m-professional-Scart-to-Scart-cable-/181400419555?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item2a3c4ebce3

wiicrackpot
10-05-2014, 09:21
Use 2 of them in my AV set up, didn't know you designed them Stan, :) all i wanted back then was the best scart and Thor was what i went with.

No brainer Mike, buy those one's in the link. :cool:

P.S. @ Stan, have you designed/researched into HDMI cables?.

Darren Cotter
10-05-2014, 09:59
Hi Stan

Just bought it to replace my QED scart lead from my SkyHD box to DVD recorder.

Regards

Darren

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 10:07
As far as I am concerned the best SCART leads ever were the Thor SCART leads. I designed them myself and won a couple of awards for their design. And the company I worked for sold millions SCART leads designed by me all over the world. My designs were frequently copied by competitors.
There is a used 3m on sale at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thor-3m-professional-Scart-to-Scart-cable-/181400419555?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item2a3c4ebce3
Thanks

I already have a 1.5m Thor that did a good job before the kit shuffle, just too short now
Damn it's gone
I'll keep looking for a Thor

istari_knight
10-05-2014, 10:09
I remember seeing those on sale in B&Q about 10 years ago ! How do they differ from your average scart then ? Every one I've busted open has been identical apart from the foil screen & "OFC conductors" on expensive ones.

brian2957
10-05-2014, 10:13
You have PM Mike.

Spectral Morn
10-05-2014, 10:15

I recall the B&Q used to sell those, I recall them as being nice looking but I have no experience of them.

Regards Neil

brian2957
10-05-2014, 10:18
The Thor scart cables were very well reviewed by the usual magazines . I've had a couple and IMO they were very nice cables. Made by a company called Philex BTW .

MikeMusic
I swapped out SCART for Componets, the picture improved. You just need 5 phono leads.. Your R.G&B leads & your L+R sound channels..But would use HDMI whenever possible..

Tivo only has SCART out and the TV has 3 SCARTs in and a 2 RCAs. Thought component was 3 ?
Will find out more but is it worth doing SCART - component anyway ?

Spectral Morn

What good makes are there please ? (that I can likely pick up dead cheap on Ebay !)

Can be RGB only

if this is in to a flat panel TV then I would avoid it if I could, analogue video cables - even component - look poor, loads of noise. I was shocked re using an HDMI even a cheap one how much better the picture was, compared to QED and Ixos scarts. Obviously its not always possible to do this but if your av amp converts analogue video to HDMI that might be a better option, though still a compromise.

Regards Neil

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 10:19
Use 2 of them in my AV set up, didn't know you designed them Stan, :) all i wanted back then was the best scart and Thor was what i went with.

No brainer Mike, buy those one's in the link. :cool:

P.S. @ Stan, have you designed/researched into HDMI cables?.

Too late
:(

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 10:28
You have PM Mike.

I do !
and answered
Brian is a hero !

As a treat here is your great band (I love this)
oa0lzZMkrLw

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 10:30
The Thor scart cables were very well reviewed by the usual magazines . I've had a couple and IMO they were very nice cables. Made by a company called Philex BTW .

Know them well. We used to print work for Kim at Philex then they need multi 1000s which is not our field
Great bloke, must look him up

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 10:32
if this is in to a flat panel TV then I would avoid it if I could, analogue video cables - even component - look poor, loads of noise. I was shocked re using an HDMI even a cheap one how much better the picture was, compared to QED and Ixos scarts. Obviously its not always possible to do this but if your av amp converts analogue video to HDMI that might be a better option, though still a compromise.

Regards Neil
Thanks Neil
CRT so will be ok
Flat panel sooner or later.
Hifi takes precedence !
:)

wiicrackpot
10-05-2014, 11:04
Too late
:(
Shame, sure something would turn up soon, anyway, we're coming into good weather therefore cycling zone, :fingers:
you'll not be in front of the telly as you put in the miles, happy Giro viewing btw. :)

brian2957
10-05-2014, 11:06
You have PM Mike.

Spectral Morn
10-05-2014, 11:43
Thanks Neil
CRT so will be ok
Flat panel sooner or later.
Hifi takes precedence !

I am sorry I moved my CRT TV on, stick with it as long as you can.

Regards Neil

istari_knight
10-05-2014, 12:24

Regards Neil

+1 I miss my old "Trinitron"

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 12:35

Regards Neil

Interesting. You're not alone in that opinion and one of the reasons I'm not rushing to go plasma.
Main reason could be terminal tightness of the wallet course

Have you tuned the set for the best results ?

Spectral Morn
10-05-2014, 13:19
Interesting. You're not alone in that opinion and one of the reasons I'm not rushing to go plasma.
Main reason could be terminal tightness of the wallet course

Have you tuned the set for the best results ?

Within my capabilities yes but its flaws in the way the TV processes rapid movement etc that still let any flat panel type down I have seen todate including the Panasonic 42 in plasma I have which in 2013 was considered the best....can't recall the model number. Frankly it would have been a three star winner in any review I might have done.

CRT TVs did so much better imho.

Regards Neil

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 14:44
Within my capabilities yes but its flaws in the way the TV processes rapid movement etc that still let any flat panel type down I have seen todate including the Panasonic 42 in plasma I have which in 2013 was considered the best....can't recall the model number. Frankly it would have been a three star winner in any review I might have done.

CRT TVs did so much better imho.

Regards Neil

Oh dear looks like the time and money will have to go on new music and kit !

The Barbarian
10-05-2014, 17:26
Tivo only has SCART out and the TV has 3 SCARTs in and a 2 RCAs. Thought component was 3 ?
Will find out more but is it worth doing SCART - component anyway ?

component is three: Red lead Green lead & Blue lead + a pair for L+R sound leads

MikeMusic
10-05-2014, 17:43
Shame, sure something would turn up soon, anyway, we're coming into good weather therefore cycling zone, :fingers:
you'll not be in front of the telly as you put in the miles, happy Giro viewing btw. :)

It did. One of them Scottish Mafia types

I cycle all the time. It's just a lot more enjoyable in daylight, sensible temperatures and not via The Thames !
As from next week we have Fibre broadband so maybe me and the Giro can be together again streaming Eurosport !

wiicrackpot
10-05-2014, 20:46
It did. One of them Scottish Mafia types

I cycle all the time. It's just a lot more enjoyable in daylight, sensible temperatures and not via The Thames !
As from next week we have Fibre broadband so maybe me and the Giro can be together again streaming Eurosport !
Good show, :thumbsup:we're no so bad up here.

High speed B/band and streaming eh....i've still to make do with highlights. :(

MikeMusic
11-05-2014, 10:38
Good show, :thumbsup:we're no so bad up here.

High speed B/band and streaming eh....i've still to make do with highlights. :(

I confess to having a number of Scottish types as, dare I say it (quietly) ......... friends :)

My next move assuming all of this works is to convert magic broadband signal via something to my CRT TV with Scart inputs.
If only Eurosport would birng back analogue satellite

Hang on. Who's doing highlights of the Giro ?

wiicrackpot
13-05-2014, 15:21
Hang on. Who's doing highlights of the Giro ?
Sorry Mike, caught some action at my pals and thought we were getting in ITV4 as well, tried in vain at home but no joy,
think he gets it in his BB/Homephone/TV package.

MikeMusic
13-05-2014, 17:23
Sorry Mike, caught some action at my pals and thought we were getting in ITV4 as well, tried in vain at home but no joy,
think he gets it in his BB/Homephone/TV package.

I read somewhere that ITV4 had rights to all sorts of coverage either live or later same day, but all we get are the odd classics, weeks late chopped up so badly for the highlights it's difficult to work out what's going on.

BT coming tomorrow and broadband that is faster than a dial up modem - it says 'ere
Might get bits of the Giro, but certainly Le Tour !

wiicrackpot
13-05-2014, 18:00
I read somewhere that ITV4 had rights to all sorts of coverage either live or later same day, but all we get are the odd classics, weeks late chopped up so badly for the highlights it's difficult to work out what's going on.

BT coming tomorrow and broadband that is faster than a dial up modem - it says 'ere
Might get bits of the Giro, but certainly Le Tour !
Mike, we don't know where we are with coverage at all, i'd liked to have some coverage of the Giro, even condensed to a one hour on Sunday or something,
some say the Giro is more for the purists compared to TDF.

Congrats on your impending super duper BT package, i am with them for B/band but can't justify as i live alone and out at work most of the day so won't use it to the full,
i think they will have coverage of the Giro on BT Sport.

Yomanze
13-05-2014, 18:30

Very interesting Stan a few of these designs around am sure.

Where are the flame wars about which SCART lead has better A/V quality by the way? I certainly trust my eyes more than my ears!

Minstrel SE
13-05-2017, 19:45
I think QED made the best Scart leads. The blue outers as pictured earlier in the thread I have always been very impressed with the picture quality and the build quality is superb. I dont think you will find a more satisfying connector in the way they fit very nicely and securely

Im well stocked on them 2110 4110. I have 0.5m, 1m, 3m and 5m...some Visual only leads. They were £60+ rrp so nows the time to buy them :) Heaven knows what the RRP on the 5m one was!....... I bought them cheap as chips when people changed to HDMI. Obviously the demand is not really there now

The flat cable ones seem a downgrade and dont do it for me ( I have one in my spares box).... not as easy to route and a bit awkward IMO.

Only recently have I been sorting out my HDMI needs and may need a new flatscreen or switchbox.

Cheers
Martin

MikeMusic
14-05-2017, 16:19
Thanks Martin.

I now have a big flat Panasonic which takes everything there is. SCART, HDMI, PC and others.
Used various SCART from Tivo to TV. Russ Andrews usually the best result.
The HDMI direct from the HD Freeview box is very csharp indeed

Mike

Pieoftheday
14-05-2017, 18:19
Thanks Martin.

I now have a big flat Panasonic which takes everything there is. SCART, HDMI, PC and others.
Used various SCART from Tivo to TV. Russ Andrews usually the best result.
The HDMI direct from the HD Freeview box is very csharp indeed

Mike

I have one of those qed scarts , your welcome to it? Edit,I can't find it:scratch:

MikeMusic
18-05-2017, 16:10
No problem. I have plenty of good ones, think also a QED.

On looking closely I am using a Kimber from Freeview to Tivo and one of Stan's inventions from Tivo to TV.
All work well, but put in the shade by the HDMI from the (HD) Freeview output

Minstrel SE
18-05-2017, 19:09
Well yes my use for Scart has diminished but I still run older games consoles into scart switch boxes Thor and One for all with remote control. I was particularly interested in getting the longer QED leads 3m and 5m as I dont know my future plans for where the console racks are to be placed.

I dont notice any problems from running them through a switching unit

Some units might be eligible for HDMI conversion but I do like having a few quality scart leads in my spares box. The QED does the main duty into the tv and they are lovely looking cables.

Cheers
Martin

MikeMusic
20-05-2017, 11:48
Surprising. Would think a switching unit would drop the quality.
Fortunately I don't need one !

Spectral Morn
20-05-2017, 13:21
Ixos made some nice scarts as well. I thought both QED and IXOS about on a par. Have a few kicking around and still use some from the video recorders I still use from time to time.

Minstrel SE
21-05-2017, 08:04
Surprising. Would think a switching unit would drop the quality.
Fortunately I don't need one !

Yes anything that runs though connectors and internal links to another connector is not going to improve matters. I have however been pleased with the resulting picture and nothing has disappointed me as being too lossy or inferior.

AB demos is not what this is about with scart and I certainly dont want to be plugging cables in everytime I want a different unit connected. There will be some level of degradation but I choose convenience. I could choose to change the leads for a straight path if it bothered me. It doesnt so its all good

I would rather not have to use switching units but what can I do when I have lots of equipment

StanleyB
22-05-2017, 08:06

Can be RGB only
The best SCART cable is the Thor. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xthor+scar t+cable.TRS0&_nkw=thor+scart+cable&_sacat=0
I know that, because I designed it myself and won a What HiFi award for it as well.

MikeMusic
23-05-2017, 15:52
I have one running from Tivo to TV.
Great quality at a silly, low price