PDA

View Full Version : Oh bloody hell, what have I started now! My Misses is going to kill me!

twelvebears
09-07-2009, 08:24
I blame Nick (Beechwoods)....

A fellow audio-freak at work (who's Dad is even worse... Mmmmm should get them both to join AOS actually) happened to mention that he was going to give away 'an old tape deck' to a charity shop and I just couldn't help saying 'Oh really? I'll have it'

Why? Why did I feel the need to do that? OK, as it happens, the free, old tape deck was a Technics RS-BX747 which is not bad as a freebie, but the trouble is it's starting to lead me down a whole new dark path which now has me watching a variety of items on eBay, including various blank cassettes and worse still, reel-to-reel machines....

I can already see our new house filling with audio junk and we haven't even moved in yet!! This is the trouble with moving from a flat to a decent size house. It's given me scope and space for picking up 'bargains' because I've now actually got somewhere to put them. :doh:

No doubt tuners will be next.

Is there any way to stop this or is it already too late?

Marco
09-07-2009, 08:29
Hehehehe... The power is too strong, my brother. Just chill, embrace the madness, and enjoy! ;)

It won't be long until you get all 'moist' looking at VU meters :eyebrows:

Marco.

NRG
09-07-2009, 08:33
Steve, been there...still doing it....5 turntables, 6 valve amps, 4 pairs of 'speakers and loads of other assorted stuff!

Theres no end to it!

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 09:11

A fellow audio-freak at work (who's Dad is even worse... Mmmmm should get them both to join AOS actually) happened to mention that he was going to give away 'an old tape deck' to a charity shop and I just couldn't help saying 'Oh really? I'll have it'

Why? Why did I feel the need to do that? OK, as it happens, the free, old tape deck was a Technics RS-BX747 which is not bad as a freebie, but the trouble is it's starting to lead me down a whole new dark path which now has me watching a variety of items on eBay, including various blank cassettes and worse still, reel-to-reel machines....

I can already see our new house filling with audio junk and we haven't even moved in yet!! This is the trouble with moving from a flat to a decent size house. It's given me scope and space for picking up 'bargains' because I've now actually got somewhere to put them. :doh:

Too late:lol::lol: You are doomed.........

Yes.....it all Nick's fault;). I have still to work out how I will explain the presence (hopefully later today) of a massive Akai GX headed R to R machine thats on its way to me (+a pile of tapes). I have had to rearrange the system and how its laid out(photos to follow), and this to fit one R to R a Revox B77mk2. Now theres tape buying, leader tape buying, editing tape buying, head demag buying, cleaning fluid buying(had that already), Tape control switching input, output expander buying, NAB adapters buying, Metal spools or plastic spools considering then buying, 10.5 reels uuuuuuuuuur.............it goes on:doh::lol: Oh yes and 60 mins of tape (New) costs about £20+ after VAT and P&P:(:doh: And all of this and I have no money...I am mad no doubt. I have justified it by the thought "that sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and not to get something at that time means you might never" that argument doesn't really hold water, but there you go works for me.

Its a disease of that there is no doubt:mental:...... Full write up of the Dalek Supremes tape adventure when I figure out how to do it....that bit goes there ummmmmmmm?:scratch: Oh yes and that bit of tape winds round that....AHHHHHHH.... Sound ?:scratch::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L:)

Beechwoods
09-07-2009, 09:25
Heh heh heh :eyebrows: You've had it now. There's no turning back! You'll be sneaking in portable Uher's next :)

Enjoy it Steve! There's great fun to be had with tape!

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 09:32
Heh heh heh :eyebrows: You've had it now. There's no turning back! You'll be sneaking in portable Uher's next :)

Hi Nick

I am not sure about where I am going next(out the front door with a size4 boot up my ass:(:lol:, no doubt). I hadn't intended on getting the Akai after the Revox (I hadn't expected to win it), but the guy who owns the Akai is such a really nice helpful gentleman I just couldn't pull out.....plus he was very kind on pricing, he threw in all his tapes + more...I had to go with it. I may ask him to join AOS he is a electronics engineer. He wanted his Akai to go to a good home...I know I can fulfill that wish. Just hope it survives its journey. He packed it the way I would have, and we discussed this at length. He also kept all his boxes...a man after my own heart.

Revox A77 perhaps....next ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:, Technics, Teac, Sony, Tandburg,..............help.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
09-07-2009, 10:17
Mrs Dalek Supreme must have loved that trip to Scotland, but watch the brownie points don't expire unexpectedly!!

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 10:19
Mrs Dalek Supreme must have loved that trip to Scotland, but watch the brownie points don't expire unexpectedly!!

I would say I am up for extermination later....now where can I hide it and myself............UMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm...Nope no where. This assuming it comes today, should do, but next day is not always next day.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 10:27
Hi Nick

Zonal splicing tape and leader tape just arrived via the post....no excuses now, onwards and upwards. Its as well the Revox has a built in editing block....

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
09-07-2009, 11:08
All sorted and ready to rock! Can't wait to hear how it sounds!

twelvebears
09-07-2009, 12:56
Can I just say that you two are no help whatsoever! :lol:

I'd actually love a vast and random selection of retro stuff all wired up and glowing. And where it will live in the new house, there's scope for a floor to ceiling tower of shelves.....

Fortunately Susy's a bit of gadget freak herself, so as long as it look cool and doesn't cost too much, I'll be OK.

Actually, I think she'd quite like a nice big R2R machine......

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 13:46
Can I just say that you two are no help whatsoever! :lol:

I'd actually love a vast and random selection of retro stuff all wired up and glowing. And where it will live in the new house, there's scope for a floor to ceiling tower of shelves.....

Fortunately Susy's a bit of gadget freak herself, so as long as it look cool and doesn't cost too much, I'll be OK.

Actually, I think she'd quite like a nice big R2R machine......

Until you have to rearrange the room to accommodate one....:doh:, as I have. Mine is on top of a Clearlight table that sits a bit across the window, on the other side on the table is the PC monitor. Mrs D S takes a look at it and says "its blocking the light a bit"....which IMHO it isn't but....I lay it on its back but that won't work as you need to be able to see the displays etc...and whats the point of having a lovely R to R you can't see...:doh: So its upright again (its not that tall).

By the way does a R to R sound better upright or on its back ? I think threading the tape might be easier if its up right (haven't done it yet)...in fact I have still to have a listen or record. You need so many accessories except there not really accessories, they are necessities, before you can start. The last bits came via the post today.

I think Werner's picture of how his system used to be(Link http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3207), looks like the ideal lay out, but I can't do that....oh well.

Five years ago, as I moved from Vienna to Tyrol, I sold my Thorens turntable, my Revox A 77, my DAT recorders and my complete vinyl collection.

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/wp/flat/flat03.jpg

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
09-07-2009, 18:51
I find it easier to wind the tape on a reel 2 reel with it laying on it's back. However, they look so much better standing up with the obligatory 10.5 inch NAB alloy spools.

hifi_dave
09-07-2009, 18:53
Sod - I forgot the smiley. :doh:

Barry
09-07-2009, 20:30

No Steve, sadly you have placed your foot on the start of a very slippery slope - there is no going back!

However, you can take comfort in the fact that several AoS members are inveterate collectors. I, for example, have four turntables, eight tone arms, about a dozen cartridges, five preamps, five power amps, three R2R machines, two cassette decks, two tuners and two sets of speakers. :mental: If you think I'm crazy, King (kcc123) has a very impressive collection of decks, arms, amplifiers and 33 cartridges!

No there is no cure! - Welcome to the asylum! :smoking:

Just stop when you get to 11 tape decks, otherwise you'll be obliged to change your username to 'Twelve Decks' :eyebrows:

Barry
09-07-2009, 20:53
Too late:lol::lol: You are doomed.........

Yes.....it all Nick's fault;). I have still to work out how I will explain the presence (hopefully later today) of a massive Akai GX headed R to R machine thats on its way to me (+a pile of tapes). I have had to rearrange the system and how its laid out(photos to follow), and this to fit one R to R a Revox B77mk2. Now theres tape buying, leader tape buying, editing tape buying, head demag buying, cleaning fluid buying(had that already), Tape control switching input, output expander buying, NAB adapters buying, Metal spools or plastic spools considering then buying, 10.5 reels uuuuuuuuuur.............it goes on:doh::lol: Oh yes and 60 mins of tape (New) costs about £20+ after VAT and P&P:(:doh: And all of this and I have no money...I am mad no doubt. I have justified it by the thought "that sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and not to get something at that time means you might never" that argument doesn't really hold water, but there you go works for me.

Its a disease of that there is no doubt:mental:...... Full write up of the Dalek Supremes tape adventure when I figure out how to do it....that bit goes there ummmmmmmm?:scratch: Oh yes and that bit of tape winds round that....AHHHHHHH.... Sound ?:scratch::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L:)

Now what is all this? When I were a lad we didn't bother with all that namby pamby stuff like leader tape - just used a foot or so of the magnetic tape! Splicing tape? - what's wrong with Sellotape? :lol:

Correct sized take up reels? Well once I had to do some recording using a 7" spool of tape but realised that I only had empty 5" spools to hand. No time to go out and buy one - so what did I do? Allowed the tape emerging from the capstan wheel to gently fall into an empty waste paper bin. When I finished the recording, I simply swapped the now near empty spool onto the right hand side and replayed the tape, so the tape was spooled nice and evenly, this time being gently drawn out of the waste bin. No damage was done to the tape and the recording was a good one.

I can almost see/hear Nick cringing over this :doh:, but the anecdote is, I swear, true. Needless to say I, did go out later to buy an empty 7" spool. Honest Guv.

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 22:11
I find it easier to wind the tape on a reel 2 reel with it laying on it's back. However, they look so much better standing up with the obligatory 10.5 inch NAB alloy spools.

I am afraid I succumbed to the magic of Revox silver alloy NAB adapters...you know the extra bits you bolt onto the NABs....boy they look sexy.
http://i24.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b5/05/c907_1.JPG
Two winging there way to me from Italy as I type. I always knew joining flea bay would be a huge temptation.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 22:20
No Steve, sadly you have placed your foot on the start of a very slippery slope - there is no going back!

However, you can take comfort in the fact that several AoS members are inveterate collectors. I, for example, have four turntables, eight tone arms, about a dozen cartridges, five preamps, five power amps, three R2R machines, two cassette decks, two tuners and two sets of speakers. :mental: If you think I'm crazy, King (kcc123) has a very impressive collection of decks, arms, amplifiers and 33 cartridges!

No there is no cure! - Welcome to the asylum! :smoking:

Just stop when you get to 11 tape decks, otherwise you'll be obliged to change your username to 'Twelve Decks' :eyebrows:

Hi Barry

What R to R machines do you have ?

What do you feel about the question of standing them up or laying them down ? Do they sound better one way or the other ? Are they easier to use as hi-fi dave finds on their backs

By the way Dave what type of R to R do you use/have ?

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
09-07-2009, 22:26
Certain machines were designed to play one way or the other... others don't mind. My Sony and Tandberg's can be sat either way.

I've never tried doing a sound test, but I suspect that upright is better because gravity is acting equally on both 'top and bottom' of the tape, whereas on it's back, it may cause the tape to drift (of course these forces are tiny, probably imperceptible, but if we can hear the affect of clean mains contacts, or a different type of fuse it might be audible!).

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 22:27
Now what is all this? When I were a lad we didn't bother with all that namby pamby stuff like leader tape - just used a foot or so of the magnetic tape! Splicing tape? - what's wrong with Sellotape? :lol:

Correct sized take up reels? Well once I had to do some recording using a 7" spool of tape but realised that I only had empty 5" spools to hand. No time to go out and buy one - so what did I do? Allowed the tape emerging from the capstan wheel to gently fall into an empty waste paper bin. When I finished the recording, I simply swapped the now near empty spool onto the right hand side and replayed the tape, so the tape was spooled nice and evenly, this time being gently drawn out of the waste bin. No damage was done to the tape and the recording was a good one.

I can almost see/hear Nick cringing over this :doh:, but the anecdote is, I swear, true. Needless to say I, did go out later to buy an empty 7" spool. Honest Guv.

Hi Barry again....

I just like to have all the right bits when I am new to something. Now all here....I have still not used it yet. I guess I am afraid of mucking something up.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I discovered the issue of only having one Nab adapter when I thought about the transfer of tape from one spool to another. I got one empty spool and it was a cine type (fine)with the Revox, but if I got NAB types I would need another NAB adapter...so I had to buy two(first purchase on E-Bay). I now have spare metal spool as well.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
09-07-2009, 22:37
Certain machines were designed to play one way or the other... others don't mind. My Sony and Tandberg's can be sat either way.

I've never tried doing a sound test, but I suspect that upright is better because gravity is acting equally on both 'top and bottom' of the tape, whereas on it's back, it may cause the tape to drift (of course these forces are tiny, probably imperceptible, but if we can hear the affect of clean mains contacts, or a different type of fuse it might be audible!).

I can get away with upright now as Mrs DS has not made any further comments but yes its logical to assume upright is better. I just have lots of questions that pop into my head...such as. What about isolation with R to R's ? Better mains leads ? etc you know the type of thing.

Regards D S D L

Barry
10-07-2009, 00:02
Hi Barry

What R to R machines do you have?

What do you feel about the question of standing them up or laying them down ? Do they sound better one way or the other? Are they easier to use as hi-fi dave finds on their backs?

I have three machines, they are:

[1] Nagra IV-S, a two track portable stereo machine. It has no time code or Neopilot facility. Not needed, so can take advantage of using a wider tape track. This provides an 8dB improvement in signal to noise ratio.

[2] Ferrograph 632, two track stereo machine. Now retired, it is a wonderful example of ‘built like a brick outhouse’ British engineering. Not as sophisticated as Revoxes, but with better access to the heads it was much easier to edit and splice tapes. Usually criticised for limited frequency response compared to the rival Brenell and Revox machines, but a fully fettled Ferrograph (apologies for the alliteration) could stand its own.

Try as I might, I can’t find a good home for it. Everyone who I think might make good use of it, claims that modern digital hard disc recorders can do everything they want of a recorder. Please – I don’t want that last statement to start another passionate thread.

[3] Uher 4000 Report portable. The BBC chose this machine as their ‘everyday’ machine for roving interviews. (The Beeb did of course use Nagras, usually the model 4.2, but tended to reserve them for outside ‘studio’ programmes, such as, for example, ‘Gardeners World’.) Mine has been resurrected and fitted with a new set of drive belts, although it could do with a thorough overhaul and service.

Regarding horizontal or vertical operation - well, the Ferrograph was primarily designed for horizontal use, and that is how I used it. However when used with the metal ‘Hublock’ spools, the machine could be and was used, in a near vertical orientation. Have no idea how this affected the sound. Both the Nagra and Uher, being portable machines, are designed to be used in either orientation; both are fitted with methods to secure the spools.

Does anyone out there use a Leevers-Rich machine? A onetime darling of the BBC, this British design could hold its own against the Studers of the day.

Regards

twelvebears
10-07-2009, 06:10
Oh god help me! Now I'm trawling eBay for blank metal tapes and watching various DAT machines too!!

Mmmmm.... I could easily set up a second system in the loft room. :eyebrows:

TheMooN
10-07-2009, 12:43
Pretty reasonable sound quality (For a YouTube) demo of a Nice ReVoX E36 Hybrid valve model :smoking: If you canna stand the guy droning on about his Dittons FF to 3mins in .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-ZIznYvHk&feature=channel

TheMooN
11-07-2009, 08:17
Another interesting R2R YouTube , Quite nicely demonstrating the playback of a Quadraphonic capable machine ~ the Sony TC 388 esp should you have a surround sound rigged computer !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqPecnIM7Q&feature=channel

The same guy has a number of other nice R2R YouTube's :)

hifi_dave
11-07-2009, 09:15
Hi Barry

What R to R machines do you have ?

What do you feel about the question of standing them up or laying them down ? Do they sound better one way or the other ? Are they easier to use as hi-fi dave finds on their backs

By the way Dave what type of R to R do you use/have ?

Regards D S D L

I haven't much of a R2R collection as they take up too much space and I'm struggling now to find a slot for my latest purchases. All I have is an immaculate and serviced Revox G36, an F36 which looks like it's been unpacked for the first time and an Akai M8 in really good nick. Still looking for a decent Ferrograph 6 series and that must be it. :doh:

Marco
11-07-2009, 13:22
Awesome, Roger. Even on cheap horrible laptop speakers you can tell the R2Rs sound amazing!

There is a vibrancy, life, and tonal richness to the sound (discernable even through the speakers on my laptop) that reminds me very much of what I get from my Techy, or the CR7 - but I suspect the latter is not quite up to the best R2Rs.

Digital? Pah! It pales into insignificance!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

TheMooN
11-07-2009, 13:50
Awesome, Roger. Even on cheap horrible laptop speakers you can tell the R2Rs sound amazing!

There is a vibrancy, life, and tonal richness to the sound (discernable even through the speakers on my laptop) that reminds me very much of what I get from my Techy, or the CR7 - but I suspect the latter is not quite up to the best R2Rs.

Digital? Pah! It pales into insignificance!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Re-Birth of the CooL :smoking:

Barry
11-07-2009, 21:40
Neil (DSDL)

Clear out your mailbox!. You will then find something that might be of interest to you! :eyebrows:

Cheers