PDA

View Full Version : OJC (Original Jazz Classics) question about runout (deadwax) engravings

dirklenart
08-05-2014, 16:02
Hi

I've been researching the deadwax info of the original OJC's by Fantasy starting in 1982. All analogue chain reissues of Riverside, Prestige, Contemporary, ... Initially you find a faint GH inscription, which stands for George Horn, the mastering engineer at that time for Fantasy's reissues. But at a certain point (1986?) you only get a big capital G followed by an I (?) or just a vertical line, at least in my collection (Byrd at the Gate OJC 262) or Bill Evans 'Interplay' OJC 308.
Does anyone know what this means?
Does anyone know when GH disappears from the deadwax and is replace by G (followed by vertical line)?
And what does it mean: is this the border between analogue chain and entrance of digital transfers or not? I'm incline to believe it might be, but need more assurance.
So, be so kind and check the deadwax info of your OJC's.

Many thanks

Dirk

keiths
08-05-2014, 20:47
Hi Dirk,

I'm afraid I don't know the significance of any of the deadwax marks, but here are the ones in my collection:

Stan Getz / Zoot Sims - The Brothers (OJC-008) "GH"

Cannonball Adderley Sextet - In New York (OJC-142) "GH"

Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin' (OJC-190) "Gl"

John Coltrane - Standard Coltrane (OJC-246) NEITHER AS FAR AS I CAN SEE

Miles Davis Quintet - Workin' ... (OJC-296) "Gl"

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane - s/t (OJC-300) "Gl"

John Coltrane - Black Pearls (OJC-352) "Gl"

Miles Davis Quintet - Steamin' ... (OJC-391) "Gl"

Don't know if that helps at all?

daytona600
08-05-2014, 22:56
OJC from memory are 20 or 24bit remasters they don,t state what masters they use
no idea on the letters on the deadwax as all mine are sealed
ones i have played sound very good for the price

Original Jazz Classics
(Est. 1982) The premise of Original Jazz Classics is simple: to present memorable jazz albums with original covers and notes, which have been unavailable for years. These reissues are culled from the vaults of the Fantasy-affiliated labels Prestige, Galaxy, Milestone, Riverside, Debut, Contemporary, Jazzland and Pablo.

dirklenart
09-05-2014, 12:58
Do you remember when the ones with GI were pressed?

Thanks!

snapper
09-05-2014, 13:13
You might get some more info here

http://www.discogs.com/label/34231-Original-Jazz-Classics?sort=year&sort_order=asc&page=1