PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't I think of this before? Doh!

PaulStewart
03-05-2014, 17:13
As many of you will know I write both hardware and software reviews, I'm doing music reviews for Express.co.uk which is the website of Express newspapers. A lot of PR people send me download and streaming links and I have been listening on my iPad or iPhone and I was looking for a way to hear them better with out downloading all my email to the streamer:scratch:

While I always insist on "hard copy" before I do a review, it helps to hear the stuff quickly first and frankly even good 'phones with a portable device still aren't up to a decent HiFi. So today I set up an email box on our server just for my Mac Mini streamer. I can now forward the links to this and play them to the best possible quality via a 24/192 DAC :)

I'm currently listening to the preview of the next Jah Wobble album and I now kmow I want a copy to review properly.

MikeMusic
03-05-2014, 20:39
Ooh clever
and when it all goes wrong remember my top technical tip

Turn it off

turn it on

:)

PaulStewart
04-05-2014, 00:17
Ooh clever

Turn it off

turn it on

Me to tech at the paper- My mac won't log in to the server
Tech - have you tried restarting it
Me - twice
Tech oh er umm not sure really it all looks ok
Me - have you tried restarting the server
Tech - ok I'll try that give it five minutes
Five minutes later, restarted the mac and it logged itself in. :)

Andrei
04-05-2014, 08:17
Ooh clever

Turn it off

turn it on

Hmmm I'll try this with the Missus.

Stratmangler
04-05-2014, 08:20

The problem is always going to be which buttons to press ...

http://www.bible.ca/marriage/woman-vs-man-buttons.jpg

PaulStewart
04-05-2014, 08:24

Yes indeed.... :lol:

Macca
04-05-2014, 09:03
Would be very funny except the 'Woman' controls look ridiculously over-simplified...

The Grand Wazoo
04-05-2014, 10:46
Steady now.
Seeing that image gives me nasty flashbacks to a rather heated thread of some years ago.
Mike P. may be interested to know that I am still a sexist beast - even after my trans-gender operation.

MikeMusic
04-05-2014, 10:54
Me to tech at the paper- My mac won't log in to the server
Tech - have you tried restarting it
Me - twice
Tech oh er umm not sure really it all looks ok
Me - have you tried restarting the server
Tech - ok I'll try that give it five minutes
Five minutes later, restarted the mac and it logged itself in. :)

And tip no.2
Fiddle about a bit with everything
EG. Other half giving me colossal grief over her pc not connecting to t'internet
A puzzle as my pc is fine and so is her iPad thing.
She turned all off and back on, even disconnected as my previous highly technical instructions
Ok, dig out spare patch lead, swap lead from pc to socket - nope still not working.
Swap lead from Router to patch box
She's back on, hooray !
Except....
I am still ok with the what may have been thought of as dodgy lead, the one previously feeding her pc

Mantra
Of and on
Unplug all
Fiddle about a bit
Try again

MikeMusic
04-05-2014, 10:55

You can retry after she's had a kip (reboot)
Sometimes works !

MikeMusic
04-05-2014, 10:55
Would be very funny except the 'Woman' controls look ridiculously over-simplified...

:lol:

Gordon Steadman
04-05-2014, 11:01

Funny, when I showed this to my wife, whilst I described the control on the man's bit as a switch, she called it a knob!!

Andrei
04-05-2014, 11:35
Funny, when I showed this to my wife, whilst I described the control on the man's bit as a switch, she called it a knob!!
And just to show my attention to detail: the 'On' knob is standing at Attention.

Gordon Steadman
04-05-2014, 12:00
And just to show my attention to detail: the 'On' knob is standing at Attention.

Isn't it always?

Barry
04-05-2014, 12:38
Steady now.
Seeing that image gives me nasty flashbacks to a rather heated thread of some years ago.
Mike P. may be interested to know that I am still a sexist beast - even after my trans-gender operation.

What thread was that Chris?

I remember writing a 'millenial' post about the neccessity, or otherwise, of controls on a preamp some time ago. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?8627-So-called-useful-and-useless-facilities-on-audio-amplifiers. The article was introduced by referring to the image posted by Stratmangler, but I couldn't find it at the time.

Barry
04-05-2014, 12:41

That's the American convention for toggle switches: up for 'on', down for 'off'; the opposite of the UK convention.

keiths
04-05-2014, 14:00
That's the American convention for toggle switches: up for 'on', down for 'off'; the opposite of the UK convention.

I always wondered about that. But my Croft pre and power amps and Beresford Bushmaster II use 'up for on' and none of those are 'American' :scratch:

The Grand Wazoo
04-05-2014, 15:48
What thread was that Chris?

It was the one that I called 'God's Own Electronics' where I posted that picture, or one similar, after which ensued a lively debate over whether I was a sexist monster or not.

twickers
04-05-2014, 16:59
It was the one that I called 'God's Own Electronics' where I posted that picture, or one similar, after which ensued a lively debate over whether I was a sexist monster or not.

Not meaning to open old wounds, but what was the general consensus then. :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
04-05-2014, 18:02
Take a look for yourself - it's all here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/search.php)

Barry
04-05-2014, 19:21
Take a look for yourself - it's all here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/search.php)

Now you provide the link! I had to wade through all the threads you started to find it!

The Grand Wazoo
04-05-2014, 19:51
No, that's just a link to the Search page!
Not too hard though when you know the title.

Barry
04-05-2014, 20:05
I waded through all the threads you had started, to find it! Didn't think of using the Advanced Search facility. :doh:

The Grand Wazoo
04-05-2014, 20:07
Sack the Librarian!

Barry
04-05-2014, 20:09
Sack the Librarian!

:lol:

PaulStewart
04-05-2014, 22:08

Out of interest, I printed this off and showed it to the newsdesk which tonight is mainly staffed by women and the subs desk, tonight mainly men. All of them and I mean all, said it was a) really amusing and b) true :) two of the ladies asked for prints to show to their partners :lol: The techs are still having problems with the bloddy server though :mad: