PDA

View Full Version : CD's Some Favourites of Mine - Less Well Known

Rush2112
02-05-2014, 09:51
Well I have a day off today so I thought what better excuse is there to dig out a pile of CD's and some LP's too for some uninterrupted listening. To start with some lesser known favourites:

Clive Gregson & Christine Collister -
Mischief ( SPCD1010 ) Wow Christine's voice is sublime along with Clive's excellent Guitar, Vocal and of course production talents. It's the sort of music that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up !
As for its genre well I guess "folk" but not in the traditional sense it's just great songs and musicianship !
If you want a more familiar collection of songs to start with try their album - Love Is A Strange Hotel ( SPCD 1035 ) which is just sublime!

In a similar vein, well from the folk music genre that is, the Black family dynasty is certainly not unheard of, however, Mary Black: remains widely underated despite being relatively well known thanks to a certain Irish born radio presenter by the name of Terry Wogan championing her for a good part of his Radio 2 career. The body of her work stretches accross four decades; it's just a music lovers feast of great songs delivered with superb vocals from Mary. Try any of the compilations, I guarantee you will buy more!

Gordon Steadman
02-05-2014, 10:01
Well have a day off today so thought what better excuse is there to dig out a pile of CD's and some LP's too as it happens. To start with some lesser known favourites

Mischief ( SPCD1010 ) Wow Christine's voice and Clive's excellent Guitar Vocal and of course production it's the sort of music that makes the hairs on the back of your kneel syand up !
As for its genre well I guess "folk" but not in the traditional sense it's just great songs and musicianship !
If you want a more familiar collection if songs to start with try their album - Love Is A Strange Hotel ( SPCD 1035 ) which is just sublime!

In a similar vein, well from the folk music genre that is, the Black family dynasty is certainly not unheard of, however, Mary Black: remains widely underated despite being relatively well known thanks to a certain Irish born radio presenter by the name of Terry Wogan championing her for a good part of his Radio 2 career. The body of her work stretches accross four decades; it's just a music lovers feast of great songs delivered with superb vocals from Mary. Try any of the compilations, I guarantee you will buy more!

I too am have an off day!! For some reason, I have been rummaging through John Lennon's LPs and realised that I probably haven't listened to them for twenty years!! I find it all a bit the same as listening to Genesis and the like. It was very much of its time but no longer pulls me in the way it did when I was younger. Baroque and some classical is timeless and will always to the business for me.

No accounting for taste. I do enjoy a lot of folk music still. Shows how busy I've been until now, I have never listened to mary Black. Will have a quick look on YouTube to see what I've been missing.

Rush2112
02-05-2014, 10:11
Don't have much of John Lennon as a solo artist although have most of the Beatles albums as for Genesis give me Gabriel or Collins or even Wilson, I can listen to it all only saw Gabriel with the band at the reunion gig in the early 80's but have seen Collins as front man 6 or 7 times including the last tour in 2007. Just great !

Gordon Steadman
02-05-2014, 10:15
Don't have much of John Lennon as a solo artist although have most of the Beatles albums as for Genesis give me Gabriel or Collins or even Wilson, I can listen to it all only saw Gabriel with the band at the reunion gig in the early 80's but have seen Collins as front man 6 or 7 times including the last tour in 2007. Just great !
Yup, Gabriel for me and I have enjoyed Phil Collins but mostly when he's live, his recorded stuff has never appealed that much - good drummer though.

Rush2112
02-05-2014, 10:17
Well as for the more timeless music so to speak, I am just as content listening to Bach, Handel and Vivaldi.

Rush2112
02-05-2014, 10:20
Yes Collins live is always good but If were talking rock drummers well Collins ain't bad but Peart is in another league !

Gordon Steadman
02-05-2014, 11:00
Well as for the more timeless music so to speak, I am just as content listening to Bach, Handel and Vivaldi.
Thats my sort of language:cool:

pjdowns
02-05-2014, 11:56
Well I have a day off today so I thought what better excuse is there to dig out a pile of CD's and some LP's too for some uninterrupted listening. To start with some lesser known favourites:

Mischief ( SPCD1010 ) Wow Christine's voice is sublime along with Clive's excellent Guitar, Vocal and of course production talents. It's the sort of music that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up !
If you want a more familiar collection of songs to start with try their album - Love Is A Strange Hotel ( SPCD 1035 ) which is just sublime!

+1 for Mary Black, I have all of her albums on CD and she is just great... I bet she'd sound amazing on a good Vinyl recording and player :)

Paul.