PDA

View Full Version : Custom Plinth for Trio KD-2070 - any recommendations for stonemasons in London/Herts?

Kember
01-05-2014, 10:22
I'd be grateful for advice - I have just acquired a Trio KD-2070 DD turntable in good nick. It is not noble but good enough for my purposes. Speed is rock solid, the arm works as does the cueing mechanism. I have the right sized Acri Mat which tightens things up nicely. But the plinth is a bit ordinary (plywood?) and also too small for my intentions.

My camera is broken so I can't put up piccies but look here: http://swingmodern.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/kenwood-kd-2070-direct-drive-turntable.html

The intention is to use it as a test bed for my various arms, especially for setting up linear trackers (such as my Trans Fi or MG-1). I can either remove the arm (and sell it) and use the space on the right hand side to put in a raised armboard or I can replinth it in a bigger plinth, allowing me to bi-arm it. I have taken it to bits to clean it and check connections etc. The plinth looks quite straightforward in that the various pieces on top are simply screw mounted through small holes in the top and the cavity for the motor unit is an easy shape to copy, so templating is not a problem.

As I said above, the stock arm is fine and has an SME-type headshell arrangement so it could be kept to allow me to test various cartridges and also to avoid mucking about with the integrated cueing mechanism. The TT is not worth spending a fortune on although it sounds surprisingly good.

I have two options - I have a cabinet maker friend who can run me up a new plinth in birch ply for around £60 (if he does it in his spare time) or I might be able to get a couple of oversized carving boards and use them for a skeletal plinth.

Alternatively, I can get the plinth made in slate by a stonemason along with a few armboard blanks. The only problem is that I don't know a stone mason in easy travelling distance who is interested in doing the work. The monumental masons around here have enough gravestone business to keep them happy.

Can any AoS members recommend a mason/kitchen worktop supplier within 30 miles of North London who might be prepared to undertake such a job please?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Peter

Kember
04-05-2014, 09:28
Bump

Anybody, please?!

Failing that, I might have a go myself with a couple of Ikea chopping boards and some ice hockey pucks - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-LAMPLIG-LARGE-WOODEN-CHOPPING-CUTTING-BOARD-46cm-x-53cm-x-2cm-/261423238774?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item3cde0a0e76.

Best

Peter

PaulStewart
04-05-2014, 13:17
Hi Peter,

Not a bad TT at all, but to be honest I would not go the slate/stone root myself. I think energy in TTs needs to be controlled and dispersed and granite, marble and slate can ring and send energy back into the system. A good example of this is the old Slate Audio plinths for 301/401s. At first listen they sounded very detailed & "sparkly", after a while however, the lack of precision in the imaging and the pronounced mid became very apparent. The Loricraft approach using medium mass and damping gives much better results, by as I said before controlling and dispersing that spurious energy.

However, if you want to go the stone route, there is a kichen work top guy in Baldock, Herts which is not too far from you.

ATB

Kember
04-05-2014, 16:08
Paul

Thx. PM sent.

While on the subject of buffing up turntables etc, can anyone think of a reason why I should not use a car detailing clay bar (with the appropriate lubrication well away from the leccie bits) on the surface of a painted turntable plinth? I just can't get it gleaming with the Servisol foam cleanser I normally use.

P