PDA

View Full Version : How To Buy Talking Heads

webby
06-07-2009, 21:20
Following on from the How To Buy Pink floyd thread, Talking Heads are another band I'm interested in hearing more of.

I have Little Creatures, and Sand in the Vaseline. Where to next?

p.s. Am I ok starting these threads?

The Grand Wazoo
06-07-2009, 21:50
I'd go for 'Talking Heads: 77' - where it all started.

But you shouldn't have this without also owning 'Marquee Moon' by Television which, historically, is soooo important.

3nXrfuxBWJI

And it's a Brilliant Idea for a thread!

webby
06-07-2009, 22:01
Cool, I'm glad you like the thread idea :)

Barry
06-07-2009, 22:43
Following on from the How To Buy Pink floyd thread, Talking Heads are another band I'm interested in hearing more of.

I have Little Creatures, and Sand in the Vaseline. Where to next?

p.s. Am I ok starting these threads?

'Stop Making Sense' (1999), one the recordings which made me change my mind about 'live' recordings.

Not sure where it fits in chronolgically with 'Little Creatures' and 'Sand in the Vaseline'.

REM
07-07-2009, 07:49
Agree with all suggestions so far but don't forget the follow up to '77',

"More Songs About Buildings and Food"

Stunning album.:smoking:

DanJennings
20-07-2009, 14:53
I'd have to say 'More Songs about Buildings and Food' is one of my favourite albums of all time, and completely essential. I recommend the fairly recent remaster (about 3 years ago I think?)

Rather annoyingly, I thought myself to have the complete Talking Heads discog, but now realise I don't actually own sand in the vaseline....
some of those tracks have been released on the recent remasters series, but I'll have to dig them out to find out which ones aren't...

anyway, I consider all of the albums to be essential except 'True Stories' which only has about 3 decent tracks on it.

For the minimalist art punk stuff, obviously I'm going to say 'more songs...' and '77.

For the more experimental, 'Fear of Music' and 'Remain In Light' contain their first real experiments with polyrhythms and synths

'Speaking In Tongues' is a strange beast, equal parts experimental, and pop/disco, but still genius.

Little creatures you own, probably the closest they got to a traditional pop record, but still fantastic.

Stop Making Sense, fantastic record, fantastic film. I rate this alongside my favourite live records (The Tubes - What do you want from live, jethro tull - bursting out, and of course thin lizzy - live and dangerous'
I recommend getting the dvd first, because of the important visual elements involved.

Last but not least, 'Naked' a very underrated record, with a sort of salsa feel to the first half, and quite a dark second half. But still a very fun album...

btw I completely agree with wazoo, re: marquee moon, and recommend some early XTC

DSJR
20-07-2009, 18:32
If you want to get them on LP,get the US originals. This goes with many US artists who's work came over here. Some exceptions had UK pressings of US metalwork and this was ok on the whole. Regarding PF, Doug Sax at the Mastering lab (TML on the lead-out spaces) did some of the best PF cuts IMO.

You could always get the CD's of course...... :)

Jason P
20-07-2009, 19:03
I'd put another vote in for Speaking in Tongues, fab album IMHO. 'Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place) is one of my fave all time tracks.

Any of the earlier albums a brill too.

Jason

trailer
22-07-2009, 13:09
As an aside the recent Tom Tom Club re-issue is worth a gander too.

chris@panteg
11-08-2009, 01:05
I strongly recommend 77 and also fear of music very atmospheric with ENO's production.