PDA

View Full Version : When does it all start going pear shaped?

The Barbarian
01-05-2014, 07:57
When your younger you are obviously bright, intelligent, success driven, good at what ever your trade or line of work is, old interests die or at least not as obsessive as they once were. But as you get older things just are not the same..If this applies to anyone i found that get past the mid 40's all the enthusiasm i used to have is slowly disappearing, im in no way as talented/handy as i used to be..

I'd be interested in anyone elses views or am i the nut job on here? or maybe im going thru the change :D

:)

walpurgis
01-05-2014, 09:09
I agree. When I was in my thirties, I felt I could take on the world. There was literally nothing I found that I couldn't do. Now, some years rather further on, I lack energy and commitment to most things. I think lack of fitness has much to do with it. When you're in great physical shape, the rest comes much more easily.

Kember
01-05-2014, 09:24
I agree. When I was in my thirties, I felt I could take on the world. There was literally nothing I found that I couldn't do. Now, some years rather further on, I lack energy and commitment to most things. I think lack of fitness has much to do with it. When you're in great physical shape, the rest comes much more easily.

Geoff,

Equally, when I was in my twenties and thirties I'd tackle things with boundless energy that were not that important, especially for work. I think I now have a better sense of perspective and conserve my energy for things that really matter and there are not really that many of those. I don't want to be a busy fool:).

Peter

Joe
01-05-2014, 09:28
Geoff,

Equally, when I was in my twenties and thirties I'd tackle things with boundless energy that were not that important, especially for work. I think I now have a better sense of perspective and conserve my energy for things that really matter and there are not really that many of those. I don't want to be a busy fool:).

Peter

I've always been a lazy sod, so I was never a busy fool. Just an idle idiot.

Kember
01-05-2014, 09:36
I've always been a lazy sod, so I was never a busy fool. Just an idle idiot.

:rofl:

Gordon Steadman
01-05-2014, 09:37
Next year!!

I'm lucky in that, apart from the back, physically I am still fine at 67.

Some of the 'lack of enthusiasm' is, I suspect, merely a case of having seen and done such a lot. Enthusiasm is partly the new and interesting it seems to me.

I went to see a friends 'new' house today and it needs a huge amount of work - its a classic French village house that has been empty for years. Lots of it will be restoring original features and work to built in wooden furniture. Exactly my cup of tea. I can't wait to get started. Same with some speakers I just finished for someone. I enjoyed it so much that I am going to build some for me as the sound was so good. I will probably do a build thread on here.

The joy now I'm - officially at least - retired, is that I can actually choose exactly what I get involved with rather than having to do stuff as part of everyday work.

So get enthused Andre, it'll do you good:)

The Barbarian
01-05-2014, 10:05
I can't be as perfect as you seem to be Gordon sorry!

Gordon Steadman
01-05-2014, 10:11

Perfik!!! Nah, close though:lol:

nat8808
01-05-2014, 10:37

I'm sure you are André - doesn't have to be perfection in exactly the same way though.

nat8808
01-05-2014, 10:46
I'm in my mid thirties - my enthusiasm comes and goes, and much of that variation is about sleep, nutrition, fitness and mental health! When the others go awry, I find myself getting down and have a lack of enthusiasm for anything. Worse when work is slow and I've too much time on my hands.. but then some work comes along (I do physical work on the whole) and it can kick me out of it. I need that physical activity and also a bit of routine to get me back on track - conversly I have always fought against routine, routine makes me bored.

So I'm learning to be more active - when I loose enthusiasm I find just getting out or embarking on a physical project or throwing myself into work and it comes back (although with less time to do things I want).

It's far too easy to get stuck in your head or the internet when really you might be the type of person who thrives on real-world interaction and physicality.

Seems to me that all those older people who have lots of enthusiasm simply keep themselves physically busy.. and that's it (taking into account mental variation).

nat8808
01-05-2014, 10:53
André, have you ever considered that you might have mental slant towards ADD or ADHD or Dyslexia? They're all in the same ball park..

I am in that particular brain-function realm. My own take on that type of brain functionality is one that is strong on a practical level and actually craves activity and without which things can start to go wrong.. yet one might have grown up being more introverted which then combats against that need for activity, kind of how I am, a constant battle between the two.

Then again that's probably just my over-analysis to what might just come under the heading of "being a bit bored"!

The Barbarian
01-05-2014, 11:47
André, have you ever considered that you might have mental slant towards ADD or ADHD or Dyslexia? They're all in the same ball park..

I am in that particular brain-function realm. My own take on that type of brain functionality is one that is strong on a practical level and actually craves activity and without which things can start to go wrong.. yet one might have grown up being more introverted which then combats against that need for activity, kind of how I am, a constant battle between the two.

Then again that's probably just my over-analysis to what might just come under the heading of "being a bit bored"!

No i am not Bored. Count that one out, have too many interests for to be bored

However all my pass times/Interest seem to differ in a certain way to other, maybe because i seem to go around things in a seemingly Introvert way, because of this i find others are not to interested.. This dis interest frustrates me & i seem to switch on this attention seeking mode without realising it in a hope that the beacon on my interests get noticed that way.. What ever this mental state is i have no idea..

As a side note im obsessed with Order. ina way that everything has to be performed in a methodical way from cleaning up, decoration, collecting, designing to how perfect wire layout is inside an amplifier.. If i see others that are not in the same frame of mind i do tend to short circuit which no doubt lands me in trouble.

Gordon Steadman
01-05-2014, 11:53
As a side note im obsessed with Order. ina way that everything has to be performed in a methodical way from cleaning up, decoration, collecting, designing to how perfect wire layout is inside an amplifier.. If i see others that are not in the same frame of mind i do tend to short circuit which no doubt lands me in trouble.

I am the complete opposite!! Total chaos abounds in all things. Organisation hides in corners when I approach. No-one understands how I do the things that come out of my workshop because they can't see the working surfaces for piles of wood and bits. My hi-fi has wires dangling everywhere and I never brush my hair or beard.

I do brush my teeth to get rid of the smell of coffee though:eyebrows:

The Barbarian
01-05-2014, 12:12
Christ you not perfect afterall

:lol:

That however would have me climbing the walls..

Haselsh1
01-05-2014, 12:21
I'm very disillusioned these days as I've done most of the things I've always wanted to do and there seems to be so little left. I've worked incredibly hard over the last thirty years or so but it has inevitably been for someone else's gain so what is there now...?

Gordon Steadman
01-05-2014, 13:05
I'm very disillusioned these days as I've done most of the things I've always wanted to do and there seems to be so little left. I've worked incredibly hard over the last thirty years or so but it has inevitably been for someone else's gain so what is there now...?

Maybe do something for you....or have you forgotten how?

Joe
01-05-2014, 13:41

Have some children. That'll take care of the next thirty years or so!

Gordon Steadman
01-05-2014, 13:44
Have some children. That'll take care of the next thirty years or so!

Good grief, what a terrible suggestion. I have spent my whole life avoiding the possibility of such a responsibility. I am selfish enough to do what I want to do without having half my life and more than half my income snatched out of my grubby paws. Fortunately, my wife feels the same.

Take up tatting instead.

Haselsh1
01-05-2014, 21:26
I have no intention of doing something as irresponsible as having children at 55 years of age. This is my time and I intend to chillout and relax from now on. I have trimmed down my hobbies and my irresponsibilities like riding motorcycles so that I now spend most of my time listening to music and drinking wine. The future is looking good but I am still very disillusioned by all of those fat cats who get rich at my expense.

Haselsh1
01-05-2014, 21:27
Good grief, what a terrible suggestion. I have spent my whole life avoiding the possibility of such a responsibility. I am selfish enough to do what I want to do without having half my life and more than half my income snatched out of my grubby paws. Fortunately, my wife feels the same.

Take up tatting instead.

I couldn't agree more with you on that one.

Haselsh1
01-05-2014, 21:31
Maybe do something for you....or have you forgotten how?

I've spent my whole life doing things for the people I love. I now feel guilty if I do something for me. Is that wrong...?

The Barbarian
01-05-2014, 21:32
O god no been there done that 29 years ago

Joe
01-05-2014, 21:39
I've spent my whole life doing things for the people I love. I now feel guilty if I do something for me. Is that wrong...?

Feeling guilty is definitely wrong.

Sometimes I feel bad about spending so much on hifi, then I remember that I've spent several times that on my daughters' education!