PDA

View Full Version : How To Buy Pink Floyd

webby
06-07-2009, 15:39
Hi,

I have the Echoes collection, DSOTM, and Wish You Were Here. What should I buy next and why?

Webby

symon
06-07-2009, 15:42
Meddle and Animals.
Meddle - because it has Echoes on it - a truly stunning piece of music and the point at which Pink Floyd became truly great.
Animals - because it has great writing/music and provides the link forwards to The Wall.

These two bookend what you already have.

Then, depending on which bits you liked most from the Echoes collection you can go forwards or backwards in time - forward to Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour; backwards to Syd Barrett

I'm sure Beechy will be here in a minute with a more erudite and expert opinion. ;)

webby
06-07-2009, 16:07
Oh, forgot, I have Division Bell too.

Barry
06-07-2009, 16:16
Hello Webby,

Just about everything by Pink Floyd is worth buying - up to and including the Final Cut. In my opinion Pink Floyd post Roger Waters, were treading water (no pun intended). Ah! - just noticed you have The Division Bell. Oh well, ignore what I just said.

A particular favorite of mine is Atom Heart Mother, so why not try that?

Is your copy of DSOFM the digital remastered CD? Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, it's so good.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
06-07-2009, 16:25
My next purchase would be 'Relics'. It's cheap & it'll help you decide if the Syd Barrett (and soon after) era is up your alley. If it is, then you can explore that in greater depth. If not, it's still got some essential stuff on it that every music fan should own.

Next up, I'd go for 'Wish You Were Here' and then 'Meddle' & 'Animals' for the reasons Symon gives. (Also some of the vocal tracks on the other side Meddle are great - my dog, loves Seamus with it's canine howlings).

Let us know what you do & how you get on with what you buy.

Cheers

webby
06-07-2009, 16:26
No, it's a crummy download.

Beechwoods
06-07-2009, 17:22
Just about everything by Pink Floyd is worth buying - up to and including the Final Cut. In my opinion Pink Floyd post Roger Waters, were treading water (no pun intended).

Did you just write that or did I? :lol: Floyd without Waters is like the Mona Lisa without the smile!

My favourite Floyd is the earlier stuff, where they were finding their way, experimenting with ideas and unfettered by expectation. 'More' is a great and very mellow album. I have to agree that Meddle is a fantastic album, not just for 'Echoes' but for the mellow acoustic 'throwaway' tracks on the a-side. A Saucerful Of Secrets is worth checking out - the title track is blinding.

'Relics' is the album I got when I wanted to check further than Dark Side. What a shock. All those 3 minute pop-songs, and the fantastic studio version of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene'. Definitely a good intro to Syd era pre-Dark Side stuff. And Biding My Time is unique to that LP. The 'Ummagumma' live album is also an excellent intro to the band's amazing live sound in 1969 - 4 tracks over 40 minutes.

Of the later stuff, Animals is a more interesting album than Wish You Were Here... The Floyd's punk album. Full of nihilism, and as Peter says, the foundations of The Wall were erected during the 1977 tour that seemed to completely tear the band, and Roger, apart.

I hope you'll be happy whatever you choose to get!

Covenant
06-07-2009, 18:16
Got to disagree about Roger Waters on his own. Amused to Death is one of my favourite albums.

The Grand Wazoo
06-07-2009, 18:34
I think the comment was a criticism of Floyd without Waters rather than Waters without Floyd.

I tend to agree with that theory.

Beechwoods
06-07-2009, 19:02
'Twas, though there was definite synergy in the Floyd, and none were as good apart as they were together. David Gilmour's first solo LP is the best of the Floyd solo albums, IMO, though I did like the 'On An Island' pieces Peter (Symon) played me when he came round a while back. So much better than Division Bell! As I exclaimed at the time Dave dishonoured the memory of all good Floyd fans everywhere when he asked his wife - a Daily Telegraph journalist - to co-write the lyrics. What was he thinking! The Daily Telegraph...!

barty
06-07-2009, 20:19
no relevance to this thread i know, but i'm very friendly with an original floyd member ( before they made it ) a guy called chris dennis, he sang and played guitar alongside waters, mason and wright, Really nice guy and have sat for hours listening to his stories about jamming with hendrix in a dressing room. A pleasure to know him, Lives 5 minutes away from me

Beechwoods
06-07-2009, 20:24
Nice one, Barty! I've come across him in some of the early Floyd biogs. So he lives out in Anglesey now? That part of the Pink Floyd story hasn't really been told in any detail before so his stories must be especially interesting...

barty
06-07-2009, 20:28
he has given me a picture of hendrix which he took in 1965 at a gig he was playing at, he has since sold the copyright for it in london for a stupid amount of money

Barry
06-07-2009, 22:55
Got to disagree about Roger Waters on his own. Amused to Death is one of my favourite albums.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant Floyd sans Waters, to me seemed to be just regurgitating the same old stuff. Yes, 'Amused to Death' is also one of my favourite records.

Also 'In the Flesh' - a live recording of Waters doing Floyd numbers and pieces off his solo: 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchiking'. Well worth hearing.

Regards

Covenant
07-07-2009, 06:49
Sorry I mis-read that Barry.
Off to see Australian Pink Floyd at the end of the month. I have been told their show is a good 'un.

webby
14-07-2009, 14:23
Well, I've had the Echoes collection on in the car for a week and I scribbled a note detailing which album each track was from.

It turns out that I like the Floyd signature sound the most; the period from Meddle through to The Wall. The rather dated drum sound on the tracks from AMLOR ruins it a bit for me. The Division Bell is ok.

The earlier stuff, the stuff that I've heard the least of, is quite quirky, having a charming naivety to it. It reminds me of the Lennon tracks from '67-'68. There's something very 'English' about them.

The Grand Wazoo
14-07-2009, 23:44
The earlier stuff, the stuff that I've heard the least of, is quite quirky, having a charming naivety to it. It reminds me of the Lennon tracks from '67-'68. There's something very 'English' about them.

Try these for size - none of them are on the Echoes album & I don't think they're quirky, naive or particularly English sounding (but of course I know exactly what you mean)..................

GPwkyGDtH0M

oXVsKuD2p94

2iA7wdO00VI