PDA

View Full Version : Discoveries . . hell yeah!

jimdgoulding
17-03-2008, 20:20
(moved from the Strokes of Genius forum)

:mental: I confess. I’m not comprehending why there aren’t more inquiries about my product here. The greatest benefit to be had is by conventional box speaker owners and isn’t Britain the home of these? Don’t think me condescending, I listen with British speaks myself, Meridian M20’s to be exact. I also own Acoustat Model Three electrostatic speakers for a reference. Would it help if you had commentary about the benefit? Is it hard to believe that what I make can make such a difference?

For the science taking place, visit Stereomojo.com (how my product relates- scroll down til you see it) or articles about time/phase available on the web by John Dunlavy or David Ralph. For customer comments, there are a multitude online . . one right here under Artists Palette, for example; on Stereo.net.au under Speakers and Subwoofers/Protecting Time and Phase; on Audio Circle under Industry Talk/diffractionbegone results. There is also a review forthcoming in the May issue of a publication you will recognize but I am prohibited from naming. And I freaking custom fit, machine press for perfect symmetry, and sell with a money back guarantee.

This is a tiny investment, a guaranteed tiny investment, that will unlock your recordings and what your system is capable of delivering to your brain. Quiet as it’s kept, that’s what processes what gets to our hearts.

I have been approached by an international retailer to feature my wee my product. I will do this in concert with when the aforementioned review comes out. I will be raising my price; you can be assured (wouldn’t you?). I invite you to try my product on your speakers and see if what I’m saying isn’t true while it’s available at the forum price (it's removable, by the way). You can thank me later. And I dare say you will. Fuller’s ESB is my pleasure.

All the best, mates, always.

Yours truly,

jim goulding
www.diffractionbegone.com

jcbrum
17-03-2008, 20:44
I had a look at the site and am considering my options.

The spanish music was distracting and annoying. I think it's put me off.

I might try making some felt surrounds for my tweeters, I know someone who's just bought quite a bit of 6mm pure wool calendered felt, but I've a feeling that if it worked, then Scanspeak would have recommended it.

jimdgoulding
17-03-2008, 21:07
You don't sound too sincere to me but in the case you might be, visit www.scanspeak.com and ask yourself why they would take such a chunk out of their cabinetry next to their tweeters on their Classic series. My product has this effect, as you had to have read. Six mm of pure wool sounds good. The are grades of wool, you know. The surrounds I make are a little thicker, and tough to cut cleanly with hand tools cause of the wool's density. Which is why I use a press. Cheers

Alan
17-03-2008, 21:37
Jim - I have young family at home, so I dont usually take my speaker grills off; I guess I thought the surrounds wouldnt fit under my grills. I could live with adding/removing the surrounds when required - how are they attached? Velcro?
Perhaps a few of us wonder if the fixings might mark the cabinet finishes - can you offer assurances?
FWIW I have been interested in your product for a while, Im just lazy.....
(Just saw the bit about them being removable, are they robust enough to take that over a long period?) Regards, AB

jimdgoulding
17-03-2008, 21:48
Yes, Alan, the means of attachment that I provide are postage stamp size Velcro tabs and they won't blemish your speakers' finish and I include instructions on how to remove and re-use. If you will reply to me with the make and model of your speakers I will investigate making some that fit inside your grilles and reply.

NRG
17-03-2008, 22:13
What's the difference to these:

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/1/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA1727029208266LDPSINQELWYPGIIU/product-Focus-Rings-5750.htm

They kill the sound, removing 'space', 'air' and detail, complete waste of £10.

Mike
17-03-2008, 22:15
Bah!.... beat me to it Neal! ;)

I knew they sounded familiar.

jimdgoulding
17-03-2008, 23:02
Neal, interested readers- Both what Russ Andrews does and what I do are speaker and individual dependent. Isn’t everything? I experimented with various shapes and concluded that narrow strips in any shape can’t do all the work that needs to be done. As waveforms are propagated concentrically by domes and cones, there is interaction beyond the diameter of rings is my theory. Your opinion runs counter to reviews of both our products. There is no removal of air in my experience and the rendering of space is actually more intelligible with image specificity better realized within that space. But then I don't use Mr. Andrews product, I use my own. As waveforms go, so goes the information they carry. There is more insight available from our recordings and systems with the removal of early reflection, not less. What my product does is to simply preserve the integrity of the transmission. And it does it effectively.

Alan
18-03-2008, 22:30
Yes, Alan, the means of attachment that I provide are postage stamp size Velcro tabs and they won't blemish your speakers' finish and I include instructions on how to remove and re-use. If you will reply to me with the make and model of your speakers I will investigate making some that fit inside your grilles and reply.

Jim, Thank you for your reply, they are Royd Revelation RR3 standmounts.
If you think leaving the grills on compromises your design then I'm O.K. with using them only on the rarer occasions when I can safely remove the grills (and the boys are out..).
I look forward to your thoughts on it.

jimdgoulding
19-03-2008, 00:10
Alan- I can't get all I need looking at Royd's site. What I need for you to do is measure the distance from the center point of your tweeter to the top edge of the mounting basket of your mid/bass driver below. Measure the width of your grille up to the frame, if there is one. Thank you. Standing by. Jim

jimdgoulding
19-03-2008, 23:32
I mentioned a couple of sites where you can get some ongoing feedback on my product on everything from Dynaudio Confidence C4’s to small bookshelf speakers and a bunch in between to include some Epos. I would like to encourage you guys who might be sitting on the fence or are disbelievers to visit the site and read what your cousins are saying: stereo.net.au/speakers and sub woofers/Protecting Time and Phase

Here is a copy of a personal message sent to me by a member just today:

Jim,

What can I say? I hope you are not a speaker builder. Because as a consequence of your speaker surrounds, I cannot envisage changing my speakers for a long , long time. Yes, they are that good.

The tweeter surrounds arrived yesterday afternoon, and I brought them straight inside and fitted them to my Acoustic Energy AE1 speakers. Immediately I noticed a reduction in the sibilance which is evident at times from my system. Well, reduction is the wrong word – the sibilance was gone. The top end was now very smooth, akin to swapping from a solid state amp to a valve amp (I use a Marantz SR-18 Reference Series receiver) . I then played a number of my favourite recordings. Was I imagining things? Play a few more CD’s. Before I realised it, I had played about 12 CD’s. And the difference was clear. Instruments were far better focussed than before. Each instrument was clearly separated and clearly located in the soundstage. Snares and cymbals in particular were very enjoyable and distinct whereas before they were more of a background ‘noise’. I was hearing chord changes on guitar work as the guitarist moved his fingers, where I had never heard them before. And, one of the most amazing things of all, in CD’s I had heard hundreds of times, I was hearing instruments I had never heard before. Most of all I was hearing more music and enjoying it more.

If I had heard my speakers with and without the tweeter surrounds in a blind testing, the difference would be clear and I would have been willing to pay the hundreds of dollars to upgrade to the ‘superior model’. Fortunately, Jim, you have charged me only $50 for this major upgrade. This is the best $50 anyone can spend on their system. Before even contemplating an upgrade they should try these tweeter surrounds. The upgrade, like mine, may not be needed.

Thanks
2sheds

I don't have anything to add to that except that your price is lower than that for a little longer. I want for you guys to get interested in my little passion. I think it's in your interest. I'll gladly answer any questions you may have.

Alan
21-03-2008, 21:04
Alan- I can't get all I need looking at Royd's site. What I need for you to do is measure the distance from the center point of your tweeter to the top edge of the mounting basket of your mid/bass driver below. Measure the width of your grille up to the frame, if there is one. Thank you. Standing by. Jim

Hi Jim, sorry this took a while, been a bit busy.
I've just taken these measurements, not easy as the top & bottom of the grille are rounded. Anyway:
Centre point tweeter to top bass driver mount; 30.5 mm
Grille width: 135mm
maximum grille height: 275mm
Grille height between rounded top & bottom (straight edge only); 150mm
(The curve at the top & bottom of the grille look as if they would make a perfect circle if they were to be joined)

I can't believe how small these measurements are (no laughing at my little tweeter!):ner: . I knew these were small speakers, but still...

jimdgoulding
22-03-2008, 04:28
Alan- Thanks for the measurements. I'm sending you a PM.