PDA

View Full Version : FS or Swap... Ming Da MC368 valve intergrated amp

Floyddroid
28-04-2014, 10:10
For sale again due to time waster. Ming Da MC368 BSE valve integrated amp. This really is a monster of an amp and unlike Ming Da of yore sounds clean and dynamic yet retains many valve qualities that many people become addicted to. It has both 8 and 4 ohm taps so it will drive many difficult loads. This is a full UK spec amp 230v and was bought from Mark Manwaring Wright at Ming Da UK. It looks and sounds excellent with great build quality. All specs can be seen on the Ming Da UK website. This paticular amp as had a capacitor upgrade and my expense. Volume is remote control whhich is of course included along with safety cover. Original packaging included. I would prefer the buyer to pick the amp up though i am willing to ship within the UK at buyers expense. I am willing to demonstrate this amp on Teesside.
In addition i would be willing to swap the amp for a good quality valve phono stage. The original cost of the amp (minus caps upgrade) was over £1700. I am looking for £700. Please get in touch if you want to know more.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/MDMC368-BSE2_zps2f470987.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/MDMC368-BSE2_zps2f470987.jpg.html)

hornucopia
28-04-2014, 14:10
He probably was wincing at the 'intergrated' spelling? (-:

Floyddroid
28-04-2014, 21:06
Thanks for the heads up Chris. Had me typex out. All sorted.
He probably was wincing at the 'intergrated' spelling? (-:

mikeyb
29-04-2014, 09:14
Hi,

any reviews around for this amp, I can't seem to find any.

Mike.

Floyddroid
29-04-2014, 15:26
I believe there was one on the Wam of Wig. I don't know if it is till there or not?
Hi,

Mike.

Floyddroid
29-04-2014, 15:36
High Mike

Here is the review. Please remember that my amp has had upgraded capacitors fitted which tightens things up a little.

Ming Da MC386-BSE – Integrated Valve Amp

By James Palmer on 14/11/2012

Is this another review of an amazing value integrated from Ming Da? Does it have a snappy name, like “MC386-BSE”? Is James in the pocket of the dealer here or what? Yes, yes, and well a little bit, as Jack of BD Audio does take an advert with us. However, the reason I am reviewing a second Ming Da integrated this month is becuase Jack was most perturbed to hear that although I loved the sound of the MC368-B902 as you can reead by clicking the linky, he was somewhat purturbed to hear that I wasn’t massively impressed by the bass performance of the entry level model. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but it did other things better. Now Jack felt a gauntlet had been laid down, so he sent me the big boy, and said “try this”. So I did.

Ming Da’s KT90 valve amplifier has power. 70Watts of power. And it can swing. It does dynamics. For a long time Solid state head like me, this is what i like. It does a lot more of what I like about solid state amps, while retaining a lot of what I like about valve amps. There is a trade off, but it’s small and really I would be nit picking at this price point (£2kish).

What does it sound like:

Fast. Clean. Warm voices. Tight Bass. Pleasing. Good.

End of review.

ok, ok…It has two modes, Triode or Ultra linear. A switch on the side allows you to flick between them, and there is a difference. I liked the ultra linear mode, but at a recent get together at my house, 9 out of 10 Wammers that expressed a preference liked the Triode mode better. This came as little surprise to me, they are all beardy valve heads, with sandles and pipes.. :-), I jest, they are experienced audiophiles that don’t beleieve in “perceived wisdom” don’t care much for measuremnts (beyond the essential “will it work”?) and tend to listen and ask themselves one simple question “am I enjoying this?”. They all enjoyed the amp, and I did too.

Certainly it filled in any minor gaps in what it’s baby brother could do. But it did a lot more besides. It was able to swing much harder and presented huge dynamics with tracks from the Chemical Brothers, Bach, Faure, Led Zepelin and Orbital. Whatever I threw at it, there was a point during the listening that I had to grin. It offered something above and beyond what was expected of it. Listening sessions went on and on, until Mrs JamPal gently called me to bed (banged on floor shouting “TURN IT DOWN” :-) ).

Character:

In ultra linear mode, it’s a little dry in the mid range (but only compared to itself in triode mode), however, what you lose in mid range warmth is made up for in speed and agility. It’s fast, music zips a long, this is not a “pipe n slippers” valve amp in linear mode it can really rock, with tight bass and fast drum sections wonderfully observed…. Then at the flick of a switch, in Triode mode, put your favourite female vocalist on and sit back and let sweet sweet sounds wash over you. It becomes more liquid, you get more warmth, and yes, it’s not quite so quick, but what an option to have. Set your amp to match your selection of music – on the fly! That switch on the side is what all valve amps need. Brilliant!

Conclusion:

I’ve heard a few valve amps in my room but the only time I’ve been more impressed has been at much higher price points. There are valid alternatives out there of course, from the likes of Puresound, Icon Audio etc. But if you have £2k to spend, this needs to be on your “must audition” list.

James.

Discuss the review here
Hi,

Mike.

mikeyb
29-04-2014, 21:37
Hi,

Damn ipad crashed and lost my post grrrr, how far are you from Newcastle?

Brother in law due to visit us on Friday ( he stays in Newcastle ) so if not too far collection might be an option.

Mike.

PS: thanks for the review ;-)

Floyddroid
30-04-2014, 07:18
PM sent
Hi,

Damn ipad crashed and lost my post grrrr, how far are you from Newcastle?

Brother in law due to visit us on Friday ( he stays in Newcastle ) so if not too far collection might be an option.

Mike.

PS: thanks for the review ;-)

Floyddroid
02-05-2014, 13:45
Would also swap for Linn Ittok LVII or III.

Floyddroid
08-05-2014, 12:57
Mmmm

Had to unpack this amp due to a time waster from darn sarf. Just rigged it up to me Tannoy 900's and it's making some rather nice noises.:)

Floyddroid
22-07-2014, 22:17
NO LONGER FOR SALE! Decided to hold on to it due to the fact that it's a cracker of an amp.