PDA

View Full Version : 2 channel amp for seas idunn kit recommendations please

alexm84
27-04-2014, 23:18
I have built a seas idunn 2 way kit and have them running off a topping TP60 chip amp.
I was going to build another set and some sub's but would like a better 2 channel amp to run them.

Still nothing too pricey. Up to $500 (Australian). I've seen the emotiva amps are well priced . Are these OK? I think i need something around 80-100w RMS per channel for this kit as they are not super sensitive (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

Are there any stand out amps in this price range that will workbetter then the topping TP60?

alexm84
30-04-2014, 12:33
OK. Emotiva is out. It is going to cost as much to post one to me as it is to buy it which defeats the purpose of a cheaper amp.
I can run the speakers off the receiver for a while and fork out a bit more later on an amp.

Is there a stand out 2 channel for under $1000 that will suit my needs. I'm not sure what sort of power output I should be aiming for. The speakers get played loud sometimes. Room is about 4x5 meters and 3 solid walls (one into an open area).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yomanze
02-05-2014, 09:11
OK. Emotiva is out. It is going to cost as much to post one to me as it is to buy it which defeats the purpose of a cheaper amp.
I can run the speakers off the receiver for a while and fork out a bit more later on an amp.

Is there a stand out 2 channel for under $1000 that will suit my needs. I'm not sure what sort of power output I should be aiming for. The speakers get played loud sometimes. Room is about 4x5 meters and 3 solid walls (one into an open area).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What are your tastes in music? What are your priorities with regard to sound quality?

alexm84
02-05-2014, 10:31
I listen to almost any music, Rise against, Story of the year, ACDC, Metallica, david Guetta, The Eagles, Nils Lofgren (after recommended on here). Looking at expanding my collection to a lot of older classics that i never got to hear as a kid.

The speakers will be used on our current home theater setup that is used for everyday TV, movies and media streaming from the PC so looking for something all round. I really haven't dealt much with any of this stuff as i just thought i'd have a receiver and run speakers off it for ever. But now, hearing what just a cheap chip amp can do, i am intrigued at what a decent amp will do.

I want to still have a receiver to plug all my HDMI stuff into so was looking at the Marantz as they have full pre-outs on a lot of their models.

Don't know where to start with a new 2 channel for the fronts. The specs are here for the speakers: http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=274&Itemid=248
Since i have them up loud occasionally i am thinking i need at least 80W to them. When i look at a lot of amps they are only putting out 40-60W which i'm not sure if is enough?