PDA

View Full Version : Google Chromecast

RichB
27-04-2014, 19:13
Just got me one of those Chromecast dongles. http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Anyone else using it? I reckon for many folks they could be all the streaming you'd ever need. Paired with my android tablet and using Google music it is flawless, as well as running all the usual video streaming services I've found a way around some of its current limitations by using the 'local cast' app. The Mrs and I spent lat night getting up to speed with game of thrones cast to our bedroom TV.

In the living room I'm sending optical out from the TV to my DAC and I think this will eventually replace my squeezebox and laptop setups for sheer convenience of use. It uses the USB socket on the TV for its power and I'm wondering if a some sort of external PSU would bring any improvement?

For 30quid its a no brainer.

Gazjam
28-04-2014, 22:05
Cheers Rich, good info.

Is it a way of bringing the "usual suspects" streaming services(Netflix etc) to telly's n stuff that don't have them built in?

RichB
28-04-2014, 23:15
Yes Gaz, that's precisely what it is although I feel it has much greater potential as a very discrete, noiseless, music streamer. Once this thing gets spotify and internet radio stations (although you can cast those via a browser already) it will make my SBT and laptop redundant!

Gazjam
29-04-2014, 08:31
Cool.
You'll have no bother selling on your squeezebox either when the time comes.

Yomanze
29-04-2014, 20:12
Looks very interesting to me!

It amazes me how cheap Google feels they can make devices vs. the benefits of having our usage data & feeding it back into their advertising products. Compared to Amazon there's a bit more polish and tech under the hood - way more open! - so good for the consumer bad for tin foil hat wearers.

webby
02-09-2014, 16:44
Rich, can you cast an Internet video stream to it? ie a live stream, not a local file or netflix or anything that uses an app.

RichB
02-09-2014, 17:34
Rich, can you cast an Internet video stream to it? ie a live stream, not a local file or netflix or anything that uses an app.

You can cast anything you get into a Chrome browser window. Although to be honest its not its strongest feature as you'll be stuck with the window when connecting the PC/laptop to the telly would be better.

I use an app called showbox on my tablet for movies and TV shows and send to the TV via localcast. It works great and has a good selection.

webby
02-09-2014, 17:43
You can cast anything you get into a Chrome browser window. Although to be honest its not its strongest feature as you'll be stuck with the window when connecting the PC/laptop to the telly would be better.

I use an app called showbox on my tablet for movies and TV shows and send to the TV via localcast. It works great and has a good selection.

I can't use a physical connection. My desktop Mac is upstairs.

I sometimes watch an Internet stream that I can make full screen, but it looks poor cos the res of my Mac screen is 1920x1080. I assume it'll look better on the TV, no?

RichB
02-09-2014, 19:51
I can't use a physical connection. My desktop Mac is upstairs.

I sometimes watch an Internet stream that I can make full screen, but it looks poor cos the res of my Mac screen is 1920x1080. I assume it'll look better on the TV, no?

I don't know if you can install chrome onto a Mac but you just push a button in the browser and it appears on your TV via the Chromecast.

You would need a wireless connection for the Chromecast but it shouldn't make any difference where the PC you are casting from is as long as they're both on the same network.

I've heard these can be had for around 20quid these days and with a cheap android tablet or smartphone and a WiFi connection you're all set.

struth
03-09-2014, 10:15
I've been using digisender TV as my streamer for TV. My boy got me it for a present and it is quite good. This Chromecast gadget looks I retesting though, and think I will look into it more