PDA

View Full Version : NOS Tubes in Croft 25R

Jimbo
26-04-2014, 10:57
Going to try these lovely old Tesla's in the Croft 25R replacing stock JJ tubes.

I wonder which will sound best:eyebrows:

Marco
26-04-2014, 13:52
Those should be very good, James - be interesting to know what you think! :)

Marco.

Jimbo
26-04-2014, 22:01
Those should be very good, James - be interesting to know what you think! :)

Marco.

Well, once warmed up the differences were quite remarkable. The soundstage opened up in every dimension making the standard JJ sound a little shut in. The depth especially in some recordings was very noticeable but what really impressed was the presentation of the music. These valves are ethereal in their take on the music making your speakers disappear to the point where you are just absorbed in the music.

They have such a musical liquid sound full of detail with a lot of air around instruments and performers. Before where as the Croft 25R could be a little forward in its presentation the music receded a little more behind the speakers and to the sides emphasising the bigger sound stage. I wish I had a bigger room at this point in which to appreciate this!

If anyone has heard the SP2 speakers they will know what a beautiful midrange the have which when driven by excellent valve equipment they are superb on female vocals and stringed instruments. Some of the guitar, singer song writer stuff I was listening to sounded sublime. Maybe the valves did just add the bit more luxuriousness to the sound but Instruments still sounded very real and live but also had a beguiling sound.

When valves like these are given the right source material played on a good TT and I must say my VPI TT can deliver here, they do sound utterly superb. Quite intoxicating.

User211
26-04-2014, 22:32
They are truly excellent. I got these recently: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230910228892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've owned the Tesla PCC88 and ECC803S, and their KT88 were/are all absolutely top notch tubes sonically. The KT88 failed like buggery though. I went through loads of the things. It was just better than any other KT88 I could find by a large margin. They are now EAT, and I hope they cured the filament problem at the massive price hike AS slapped on them.

Jimbo
28-04-2014, 14:35
Just added a NOS Mullard 85 A2 voltage stabiliser valve to complete all NOS valves in Croft 25R.

In order I would say the two Teslas in the Phono stage made biggest difference but then two more in the regulation stage added a bit more. Cant say if the little 85 a2 has made a difference but as we all know all the small changes add up to quite a substantial improvement, at least to my ears.

The Croft 25R sounds even more musical than ever. The Teslas are very clean but detailed. The biggest difference as I mentioned in my earlier post is the soundstage and dimensionality of the music. The three dimensional sound is fantastic with the added bonus of increased transparency. Sometimes it feels you are not listening to a system but just the music/instruments.

I can thoroughly recommend going down this route as it has had quite a profound effect on my system, one which I did not expect and certainly a bigger improvement than changing Interconnects and ancillary power cables etc.

Next step - errr... Croft 25RS??

basnas
05-12-2014, 14:03
Hi
Can you confirm that it is e88cc you have put in the Croft.
best jan

Jimbo
06-12-2014, 19:05
Hi
Can you confirm that it is e88cc you have put in the Croft.
best jan

Hi Jan,

I have NOS ECC83 Teslas in my Croft 25r+ phono stage and a nOS RCA 12BH7A in line stage. Standard JJ ECC83 in regulation stage.