PDA

View Full Version : anyone want to dip their toes into streaming?

mad-moon
24-04-2014, 09:33
Richer Sounds are doing the Cambridge Audio np30 sonata network streamer for £150 new in the box....

I'm not connected with the company in any way..however if this is against aos policy..please remove or move which ever is relevant

tannoy man
24-04-2014, 09:52
I was Thinking of one of these, Could I Plug it into My Benchmark DAC 1 HDR and get internet Radio Stations?
I Have wi fi:)

John
24-04-2014, 10:00
A friend had one but got rid of it as was disappointed with its SQ

Mark Grant
24-04-2014, 10:09
I was Thinking of one of these, Could I Plug it into My Benchmark DAC 1 HDR and get internet Radio Stations?
I Have wi fi:)

yes, if you look at the picture of the back panel here;
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/np30-network-music-player
It has optical and coaxial digital output to connect to your DAC.
shows as £199 on richer website though, maybe there is another link or in store offer for the £150 ?

tannoy man
24-04-2014, 10:16
Cheers Mark, I cant Find it at £150 either

orbscure
24-04-2014, 10:27
Does anybody know if you can manually add and save premium radio station URL's with this unit? I have a DIfm premium account and am unable to listen to them via my network AV amp...

mad-moon
24-04-2014, 12:36
You can get the black one for £159...and the silver one is £150...2 of my pals have just bought one each...They'll post out too...I think it is approx an extra £7.00 for post...It has a wireless option..however my pal says the hard wired option is better...one came from Newcastle branch..the other from the Middlesbrough branch
Cheers Mark, I cant Find it at £150 either

tannoy man
24-04-2014, 14:33
Thanks Alan

eisenach
25-04-2014, 09:18
I've got one, but paid £300 for mine in January :( .
To me, it sounds very good indeed. I could hear no difference between its internal dac and going via Chord Signature digital cable to a tweaked Tag Mclaren dac20.

orbscure
25-04-2014, 09:25
Martin... can you confirm if premium radio station URL's can be inputted manually and saved?

keiron99
25-04-2014, 12:47
I saw this the other day and was seriously interested.

However, the reviews of the Stream Audio App that I imagine most people would use to control it are very poor indeed (shockingly bad in fact).

RichB
26-04-2014, 06:32
Are you going to try one Alan? Be interested to compare it with my SBT and laptop setups.

mad-moon
26-04-2014, 09:21
Not really interested in streaming just yet...we spoke about it at length..and I will probably be going down the route you have taken fo now...My pal Vince has bought one and so far he is very impressed..He also bought a 2T nas drive..He is not impressed with the wireless side of things..and is using his hard wired.to the router..he tells me the internet radio is excellent..and he is busy ripping his cd collection to the nas drive...he's going to buy a second unit to use in his main system down stairs..I haven't heard his upstairs system yet with the streamer in..but i'll be planning a visit shortly...in my humble opinion..I think real big money is going to have to be spent to get good results...I'm a bit of a dinosaur..but i'm slowly warming to the idea..but fear it will be a long time yet...I love my vinyl...and have a reasonably good cd set up...and will play this way for now...though i have put some mp3 onto a stick and played it through the blu-ray (just dabbling)....listenable I suppose..:)

P.S. Rich...I've got your power amp here and the creek headphone amp..give me a shout and let me Know when I can return them..ta...Alan..
Are you going to try one Alan? Be interested to compare it with my SBT and laptop setups.

keiron99
26-04-2014, 10:36
I think real big money is going to have to be spent to get good results...

Not at all. You can get something like an airport express for £30 and off you go.

morris_minor
26-04-2014, 10:54
I have an NP30 which I use with Graham Slee's Majestic DAC/pre-amp to great effect.

CA's app is, at best, very ordinary. But it is dependant on which server software you use. I started using the very aptly named "Twonky Media" server built into my NAS drives and the experience was dire. After trying Serviio (much better), I landed on Asset which I run on a WHS box and which is as probably as good as its going to get. For anyone used to iPeng for Squeezeboxes, the CA app is a stone-age application. On my Mac I use JRiver Media Center as a control point for the NP30 (and I also have a Stream Magic 6), and aside from the CA app I have 8Player which works ok.