PDA

View Full Version : Damascene Conversions

Barry
04-07-2009, 17:30
Whilst I like to pride myself on enjoying an eclectic and wide taste in music, probably absurdly wide in the opinion of some, it has not always been that way.

Like a lot of AoS members, I expect, my record collecting initially started with the Beatles, Stones, Kinks and The Who. During my student days, and at one time I seemed to be an eternal student, my tastes expanded rapidly into: folk (both British and American); traditional black American blues and r ‘n’ b; jazz and classical music, as well as what was then called ‘progressive pop’ (thanks to John Peel’s radio programmes of the time).

What I detested at that time was ska, and rock steady, for example Desmond Dekker and The Israelites. I even disliked soul music and anything on the Atlantic, Motown and Stax labels! Then, about twelve years ago I had a sudden change of heart and suddenly realised what I had been missing. Since then, like the newly converted, I have tried to make up for lost time by acquiring much of what I had previously dismissed. Now it seems unbelievable that the likes of Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and Otis Reading used to have no effect on me. Some of this might be down to nostalgia, stuff that was around when I was in the sixth form, but whatever the trigger I have re-discovered some great artists.

Another artist that I actively disliked for a long time was Neil Young. I couldn’t get past his weak, whiney and feeble voice. About five years ago, again I had conversion, for some reason I started listening to him again and went a bit mad collecting much of his, admittedly variable, output.

Have any other members had similar experiences they would like to relate?

Apologies to those who have read this post, expecting the revelations of a ‘born again’ valve enthusiast. Sorry, for the moment I am an unrepentant ‘sandman’.

Beechwoods
04-07-2009, 17:44
For me, it was 'proper' Country (old time stuff). I've related my journey before, from country rock to bluegrass and Appalachian mountain music. At one time I had country down with opera (which I still can't stand) and pre-modernist classical (which again, I just don't get).

Band-wise, for a long time I just didn't get Marillion, then after 10 or more years of having the Fish-era stuff on tape, back of the box, I gave them another listen and was hooked. Cue much fevered back-catalogue collecting, box sets, Front-Row releases, blah blah blah!

I'm still awaiting the damascene comversion to Hogarth era Marillion mind ;)

alb
04-07-2009, 17:59
There is a lot of stuff that i took an instant dislike to, when it was released, much of it from the eighties.
Now i find myself thinking that...... maybe it wasn't so bad after all. At least when compared to some of the "music" that appeared in the last two decades.
Don't think i've experienced any outright conversions though.:scratch:

Barry
04-07-2009, 18:00
For me, it was 'proper' Country (old time stuff). I've related my journey before, from country rock to bluegrass and Appalachian mountain music. At one time I had country down with opera (which I still can't stand) and pre-modernist classical (which again, I just don't get)....... ;)

I have always loved Appalachian music and the kind of music used for the sound track on 'Deliverance'. It's the modern stuff I can't stand: Dolly Parton etc. doing all that mawkish material. I am reminded of the joke: 'What happens if you play a country and western record backwards? Answer, the dog comes back to life and your girlfriend walks in through the door.'

Opera is a difficult one. I have all of my late father's collection of operas. He was a keen opera buff - didn't care what the plot was about, just liked the noise! I'm trying to work my way through them - it's tough. Definitely an acquired taste.

Regards

Barry
04-07-2009, 18:08
There is a lot of stuff that i took an instant dislike to, when it was released, much of it from the eighties.
Now i find myself thinking that...... maybe it wasn't so bad after all. At least when compared to some of the "music" that appeared in the last two decades.
Don't think i've experienced any outright conversions though.:scratch:

Yes the eighties were in some ways a lean period: Pet Shop Boys, Cabaret Voltare, Duran Duran, all those New Romantics such as Adam Ant (ugh) etc. etc. In general all style and no substance, though of course there were a few exceptions: Sinead O'Connor, Suzanne Vega, U2 (!). Things didn't improve much in the '90s with all that Stock-Waterman-Aitken manufactured pop, but I think we turned the corner in the 'noughties'.

Regards

Beechwoods
04-07-2009, 18:13
You're probably aware that the Deliverance soundtrack was a repackaging of a record made by Roland and Clarence White in 1963 called 'New Dimensions in Banjo and Bluegrass'. They were the new wave of the old school :lol:. Clarence went on to play session guitar for a load of established country musicians, got himself a gig playing a session on 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' and was then asked to join The Byrds when Gram Parsons left. The rest as they say is history :)

Skip to 3'48" :)

CMQuuZNvwLU

Barry
04-07-2009, 20:25
You're probably aware that the Deliverance soundtrack was a repackaging of a record made by Roland and Clarence White in 1963 called 'New Dimensions in Banjo and Bluegrass'. They were the new wave of the old school :lol:. Clarence went on to play session guitar for a load of established country musicians, got himself a gig playing a session on 'Sweetheart Of The Rodeo' and was then asked to join The Byrds when Gram Parsons left. The rest as they say is history :)

Skip to 3'48" :)

CMQuuZNvwLU

Yeeh Ha! Nice one Nick!

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
02-10-2011, 23:47
From The Grave

Thing Fish
03-10-2011, 00:23
I remember discovering Nick Drake for the first time and thinking 'how did I ever live without these wonderful songs'

The same can be said for - Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Allison Krauss, Diana Krall.....etc etc

When CD's came out I thought 'I'm never buying those crap things' (and never have) so I decided to look backwards and check out bands that I had only ever heard mentioned. Thanks to all those misguided souls that ditched their record collections in droves (thank you so much) I had a field day picking up some fantastic albums for a few pounds.

I don't really buy much new music these days. Not because its no good it's just there is so much already out there of staggering quality i'm usually at a loss what to buy next?

Its like turning over stones in a small rock pool. You never quite know what you're going to find. Exciting times lie ahead methinks...:eek:

MartinT
03-10-2011, 05:49
Lots of things: I wasn't sure about Tangerine Dream when I first heard them but I love nearly all their output now. Much of the new romantic period has met with greater success in my later years. Portishead - fantastic. Etc.

Opera is a tough nut to crack and, for me, only a few have entered my consciousness and get some playing time: Carmen, Lakme and La Traviata. Actually, this is where Blu-rays come in as opera is such a visual art as well as aural. Anna Netrebko in Traviata is simply gorgeous in every sense of the word.

John
03-10-2011, 06:35
As a teenager it was mostly hard rock and Heavy metal Learning to play the guitar started to open my ears to Fusion which got me into some jazz
My next big moment was listening to Global Fusion by Dr L Subramaniam this opened my ears to world fusion
In the last year I started to get into female jazz vocalist mainly thanks to Spotify