PDA

View Full Version : tube rolling (1 pc) for Croft Phono Integrated?

Cyreg
18-04-2014, 15:57
Soundquality of the Integrated/MM is fine, I even hear small sounds now with ease, that are more masked with the LFD.
But I prefer the LFD's bigger stage and a warmer sounds till now!

I read some more forums and threads about tuberolling.
Would it be possible to get some more body, warmth and soundstage with 1 different preamp tube :scratch:

The Phono Integrated only has 3 ECC83 (don't know which brand are in there now), 2 of which are for the MM phonostage and 1 ECC83 connected to 2 volumepots between that MM stage and the FET powerstage, so if I could try a different tube on that position maybe........?

http://www.decoaudio.com/wpimages/wpf46af9d8_05.jpg

Any thoughts about this or maybe even experience with this Integrated? :)

DSJR
18-04-2014, 18:29
What do you want, neutrality or character? Old vintage ECC83 equivalents may well soften the tone a bit, but won't affect clipping performance for example. Just leave the sodding thing alone while it's so new and think of tube-swapping when it has a year or three under its belt! The C7ES3's are bassy enough as it is...

Cyreg
18-04-2014, 19:36
Hi Dave, thanks for your reaction(s)

I am searching for the more body, warmth, greater image depth, bigger soundstage as has my LFD.
I like the Croft for its flowing, open, transparant, natural and clear sounds.
Already sounds a lot better than a week ago and still better after the polarity reversal ;)

So.......hence my inquiry now about tuberolling :)

I think you don't know me (yet) or how my system sounds and should not comment on it like that?
I am sure I could not live with it for 3 years (or even a month) as it sounds now, but I am sure I can finetune.

Already changed to several (standard and cheap non-standard) powercords with big effects!
This Croft Phono Integrated is to my surprise very sensitive for those different pc's.
Right now I have one (standard UK type with EU adapter) which sounds pretty good and already goes in the right way.

But.....do you have a serious answer on my IMO not so strange question or....? Thx Han

The Grand Wazoo
18-04-2014, 20:03
Like Dave, I find it odd that people want to start changing stuff as soon as they get their hands on it and long before they have come to terms with what it's basic capabilities are.
Anyway, you say you want a valve that will imbue a sense of body and warmth - that sounds like the stereotype of a Mullard to me.

Tarzan
19-04-2014, 05:09
Like Dave, I find it odd that people want to start changing stuff as soon as they get their hands on it and long before they have come to terms with what it's basic capabilities are.
Anyway, you say you want a valve that will imbue a sense of body and warmth - that sounds like the stereotype of a Mullard to me.

x2, get to know the amp first......

fiddlemaker
19-04-2014, 09:36
I'd never hear of LFD equipment before so I had to look at their website. The head honcho ain't half keen on waving his doctorate around at every possible opportunity, ain't he?
Sorry, pet hate of mine.

Anyway, it seems like relatively pricy gear so maybe it's a bit unreasonable to expect your Croft to better it in every respect.
In my experience (owning croft preamps continuously for over 25 years and power amps on and off for the same period) Croft amps are really good on the body and sound staging thing.

In all the time I've had Croft amps I've never bothered fannying around much with the valves. I was recently led into it by necessity when I bought a S/H 7R with a special, low sensitivity input stage using a ECC99 (actually the standard input stage with a lower mu valve used). This didn't work for me at all, so I tried some of the ECC83 valves I had around. They all worked better for me than the low mu types, but a GE5751 and Mullard cv4004 were clearly better than the rest. I was really surprised how much difference the different valves made. Always been a bit of a sceptic in the past.
Anyway, try a Mullard cv4004. This is the one that maximises warmth, soundstage and bass welly. If this doesn't give you your desired warmth and sound staging I don't think anything will.

Cyreg
19-04-2014, 19:31
Thx John for the comments. The Int was not bought to replace the LFD, so had no expectations in that direction ;)

Could be just the Integrated that lacks a little in body and soundstage, otherwise it sounds very OK :)
I bought this Int to find out about the sound of Croft amps and to maybe replace my LFD with a Croft pre(R?)/power.
Now I am not so sure about that route because of the present result with the Int, pitty!

Mullards seems to cost a fortune so that's not gonna happen.
I read the new build-alike old Tung Sol 12ax7/ecc83(Russian, scores very good on my wishes) so maybe....

Maybe someone did hear the Int and 25/7 both on the same setup and could tell me if there IS a difference in that respect :D