PDA

View Full Version : Linear Tracking

Ned664
16-04-2014, 19:18
I have been checking out Pioneer TTs on ebay and came across a fine looking linear tracking table, got me thinking - are these any good? Do they more closely refect how vinyl is cut and so possibly provide more faithful reproduction?

Qwin
16-04-2014, 22:32
Like traditional arms there are good'ns and bad'ns.

I use a linear tracker, Trans-fi Audios "Terminator".
I found that as my system was upgraded and quality improved, I became more aware of beginning and end of track distortion with traditional pivot arms. Linear trackers maintain the same (ideal) angle accross the whole disc so there is no variation in quality from track to track. Wheather or not the overall sound quality is better is debateable but you can get some damn good'ns, and like I say, consistant.

Kember
16-04-2014, 22:49
Like traditional arms there are good'ns and bad'ns.

I use a linear tracker, Trans-fi Audios "Terminator".
I found that as my system was upgraded and quality improved, I became more aware of beginning and end of track distortion with traditional pivot arms. Linear trackers maintain the same (ideal) angle accross the hole disc so there is no variation in quality from track to track. Weather or not the overal sound quality is better is debateable but you can get some damn good'ns, and like I say, consistant.

I, too, have a Trans-Fi and a Yank - the MG1 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221339782949?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=520211361304&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - and my experience is all what Ken says. The common concern about the light bass has not been borne out in my system.

I prefer the air bearing ones but you need to find a way of dealing with pump noise. The older mechanical treatments can go a bit wonky quite easily but take a look at the Revox turntables if you are interested.

Peter

John
17-04-2014, 05:44
Linear trackers you have some good ones and poor ones
I really like my arm and would not go back to a pivot.
I always remember swapping over my silver wired SME 4 to the Terminator and just being blown away with the difference in performance on my VPI TT I had at the time
No issues with flabby bass But think it varies with design, the type of wand makes a difference

paskinn
20-04-2014, 17:01
My experience has been that if everything is done right (a great big 'if') air-bearing linear arms are king of the transcription arms. Something like an Air Tangent or a Rockport 7000 are very special and quite lovely. Choose the mass of the cartridge carefully and the bass will be very fine. You get a falling-away of any trace of 'mechanical' sound, and a sense of 'ease' and relaxation. The effect is very striking and not forgotten.
The mechanical devices, such as the old Goldmund ST4 and the mighty Goldmund Reference,also work very well indeed.
You need to be careful about cartridges because of the different horizontal and vertical mass; they also tend to cost an awful lot ('Terminator' excepted). I've never had the nerve, or money, but these arms are just brilliant.