PDA

View Full Version : Standard power cord

nbaptista
14-04-2014, 11:55
I have tryed a few power cords on my Densen amplifier, and allways prefered the standard power cord.Anyone share the same preferences?

DSJR
14-04-2014, 16:08
I can't be a*sed with all this nonsense now. The house wiring and fuse boxes/isolators here are nearly thirty years old although the meters were changed around twelve years ago. I use a MG mains cable on the main system because it's heavier gauge than cables normally used with IEC plugs and wasn't stoopid money :) Please don't EVER feel guilty that you use original IEC cables. maybe your amp and location don't have issues elsewhere at rf or whatever :)

chris@panteg
14-04-2014, 16:24
I would say use whatever sounds best, if it just happens to be the bog standard leads then so be it!

Gordon Steadman
14-04-2014, 17:19
Yup:)

nbaptista
14-04-2014, 18:12
With the standard power cord the amplifier seems more musical, the system seems to breathe better.

Effem
14-04-2014, 18:16
With the standard power cord the amplifier seems more musical, the system seems to breathe better.

No argument from me either Nuno, you use whatever gives you the best sound :)

The Barbarian
14-04-2014, 18:37

Yup removed all my flashy mains leads a long time ago.

Macca
14-04-2014, 19:19
Yup removed all my flashy mains leads a long time ago.

I'm surprised you had any to begin with. Anyway doesnt all vintage kit have captive leads anyway? All of mine do.

Marco
14-04-2014, 19:43
Hi Nuno,

How are you, my friend? Hope you are well :)

I have tryed a few power cords on my Densen amplifier, and allways prefered the standard power cord.Anyone share the same preferences?

I'm not surprised you found the standard power cord best, as Densen (along with Linn, Naim and Rega) are one of those companies who 'voice' their equipment with their own power cords, i.e. they're an integral part of 'the system', in order to achieve synergy.

Often, the very same applies with their interconnects. Therefore, use the standard power cord on your Densen, and enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

The Barbarian
14-04-2014, 20:28
I'm surprised you had any to begin with. Anyway doesnt all vintage kit have captive leads anyway? All of mine do.

Believe me i used to be really into it spent an absolute fortune.Not these days..

btw: Ive not always been into Vintage.

istari_knight
14-04-2014, 21:55
Believe me i used to be really into it spent an absolute fortune.Not these days..

btw: Ive not always been into Vintage.

Vintage enough for ya ? :eyebrows:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODYzWDExNTA=/z/NhMAAMXQTghRSP0u/$T2eC16Z,!zcE9s4g3I4YBRSP0t8ot!~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

... I agree FWIW.

Yomanze
14-04-2014, 22:51
Looks sensible to me, no heavy shielding, good twisting... :P

Yomanze
15-04-2014, 18:23
Oh and I tried some Black Rhodium Cratos on my LFD amps, but they just weren't as natural as using my standard kettle lead on the HF amp and my usual semi-shielded (open braid) Ģ15 job on the LF amp. I did see a benefit with my LFD power cord on the HF amp, but not as much as it on the preamp. Differences were more pronounced than I expected though but LFD gear is ultra-transparent and very sensitive / revealing of cable changes...

vouk
15-04-2014, 19:28

Had an all Densen set up back in the day and believe me the standard power cords did the job perfectly well. No need to look any further.

nbaptista
15-04-2014, 20:30
Yes, I will keep the standard cable. It does the job perfectly well, I donīt see any reason to spend money on flashy cables!

Mr Kipling
15-04-2014, 20:57

Probably uses a menthol-impregnated dielectric.