PDA

View Full Version : A new Rega amp? Elex-R

RichB
12-04-2014, 07:23
OK who's got the gen on these then?

http://audiofi.net/2014/04/a-new-rega-amp-elex-r/

The elcit-r was a bit rich for my pocket but I do love my brio-r and I'd be keen to listen to one of these to see how it compares.

JohnJo
17-10-2014, 19:41
Hi Rich

Just plumbed one in this afternoon (home dem model) and it sounds sublime with an RP6/Exact and RS1s on Partington stands.

The synergy is just fantastic, all music. It really takes the work out of system matching.

Very spacious soundstage, rhythmic, dynamic, coherent and communicative. Bass is also of note, clean and defined yet weighty with p p punch.

Playing Leonard Cohen's new album and his voice is scarily realistic.

Don't see this amp going back.

If any criticism this system sounds nearly digital! A valve in the preamp might just be awesome :)

JohnJo
24-10-2014, 21:43
Bit of an update on the elex-r if anyone's interested. Tried this amp with Rega RS1, RS3 and RS5 and it worked superbly with all three. It is an entertaining and engaging amp which walks the line of detail/musicality with ease. The clean, digital like sound when paired with the RS1s disappeared with the larger speakers. The RS3s surprisingly had the fullest sounding balance of the three speakers despite the massive bass (in my room) and scale/soundstage of the RS5s. This amp with the RS5s in a bigger room would be fantastic for the money given the reasonable RRP (compared to a lot of hifi). Ultimately for me the RS3/elex-r combo worked better in my 13x11 room.

I bought one and shiny black speakers are ordered. Recommendation enough:)

RichB
24-10-2014, 22:52
Hi John, just saw this update. All very tempting and I'd imagine the system matching to be first rate. The RS3 verily sing don't they although after some faffing about I traded mine for RS5 and really enjoying the bigger scale and enormous bass they provide. Its my intention have a listen to the elex-r in the near future. Thanks for the info. Hope you get as much enjoyment from your system as I do mine.

occamsrazor
10-11-2014, 15:01
Anyone happen to have tried the Elex R (or Elicit R) with ATC SCM-11 speakers?

RichB
10-11-2014, 16:01
Anyone happen to have tried the Elex R (or Elicit R) with ATC SCM-11 speakers?

Nope, sorry.

hifi_dave
10-11-2014, 17:04
Yep. I have.

occamsrazor
10-11-2014, 17:29
Yep. I have.

In which case let me rephrase my question...

Anyone happen to have tried the Elex R (or Elicit R) with ATC SCM-11 speakers and care to elaborate on how well they pair together? :-)

hifi_dave
10-11-2014, 17:34
The Elex-r goes very well with the SCM11. Plenty of drive, grip and with a solid, sweet balance which suits the ATCs.

occamsrazor
10-11-2014, 17:44
The Elex-r goes very well with the SCM11. Plenty of drive, grip and with a solid, sweet balance which suits the ATCs.

Thanks. I've read quite a few times that the SCM-11s benefit from a powerful amplifier, and even ATC specify "Recommended Power Amplifier: 75 to 300 Watts". On the other hand I've heard some people happily using them with a Brio. Any thoughts on which of the Rega amp range you would consider adequate power-wise?

hifi_dave
10-11-2014, 18:13
I've used them without a hitch with the Brio-r but if you can afford the Elex-r, it does sound better.