PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Pioneer BDP-160 as a CD transport

alexm84
11-04-2014, 12:01
Been looking for a cheap CD transport that has coax output for my BMII DAC. Also need to be able to play FLAC files as this is what i've been ripping CD's to.

I was thinking maybe the Pioneer BDP-160 as it's only $169 here. Has anyone got one of these that can comment on how they go with playing CD's?

The other option is to get the model up (the 450), though this is $400. Would the 450 be a big step up as a CD transport compared to the 160, or mainly just Blu ray features that are better? I see the 450 loses Wifi (needs an adapter).

John
11-04-2014, 16:47
It will probably play files really well via well from the USB input on the player I no idea what it be like as a CD transport but probably not as good as that has been my experience with Blue Ray players that have USB input

alexm84
12-04-2014, 00:29
It looks like most of the dedicated CD players don't have USB connection. Most of my music at the moment is via USB while i get my CD collection up so i think i might get the Pioneer to start with.

Then i'll look at getting a dedicated CD player down the track after i get my Receiver and sub amp that i still need :( This never ends does it...

John
12-04-2014, 04:40
If you do not want to risk a lot of money a cheap Sony Blue ray sounds very good via USB as a Transport with the Bushmaster Sounds crap as a CD transport though

roob
13-04-2014, 14:39
I have a Chevron Audio modified BDP-150(Sabre dac board), I have a couple of usb sticks with Flac files on them and they sound excellent through the front usb input, I believe the usb input on the Pioneer is only for memory devices not a computer.
You will have to connect a TV to the BDP 160 to read the files though, the music from the usb sticks sounds just as good as playing a disc.
Don't know how a standard Pioneer would fare though but I imagine it would be ok through an decent dac esp if the dac re-clocks.

John
13-04-2014, 14:47
As long as you can go to external DAC should sound fine

struth
13-04-2014, 14:48
I have a bdp150 . Plays discs well enough and fine if u want a disc spinner plus bluerays

alexm84
14-04-2014, 11:56
I have a bdp150 . Plays discs well enough and fine if u want a disc spinner plus bluerays

What is the wifi feature like? Can you stream with it or is it not much use?

If the wifi isn't worth it, i think i might go the 450 Pioneer as it is a better looking setup. It will be conected to a BMII DAC then a Adcom GTP-600 Preamp then my Topping TP60 power amp.

struth
14-04-2014, 12:00
I believe you need to buy a dongle and the pioneer one is supposedly crap. I have never used it because of the reports. But its a great blue ray player very well built. The drawer is nice and smooth . I did a firmware update but had to put it on a disc as I don't have the dongle which is another 40\ 50 quid